3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

GK 5 Rear wheel hub assembly bolts / brakes conversion questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 03:02 PM
GK 5 Rear wheel hub assembly bolts / brakes conversion questions

Can someone explain to me what bolts do I need to buy? This is the bolt part number 90160-TY0-980 but it’s like $4 per bolt and that’s ridiculous when I should be able to get it at Fastenal of even Lowes for less and not special order. It tells me it 12x25 flange bolt and apparently that’s M12 - 1.25 x25. Anyone have experience or know what I can get that’s not an arm and leg for bolts?

Also anyone try to by any Alibaba rear brake conversion kits that work? I saw a place called ttsport on Alibaba that does it. I’d like to do the Fastbrakes conversions since parts are more available using Acura/mini copper parts over a willwood kit but I think they’re out of business. Someone said that their willwood 6 piston GE8 works on GK5s but it’s risky, not a lot of info available, only fronts, and probably for another thread.

Last edited by Jowens; 03-27-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:15 PM
Those bolts take a LOT of shear stress my man. Not something I'd be looking at cheaping out on. Engineers understand the tensile strength/shear stress of the caliper and it would be nothing short of foolish to just stick any random bolt in there. Not only for your safety but for the safety of others. PLEASE use the proper bolt. You may luck out but that's a dangerous road to go down. Ask me how I know. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
You'd pay $560 for a brake kit but don't wanna pay $3.90 for a bolt?

Old 03-29-2023, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by 2015LXFIT;[url=tel:1475759
1475759[/url]]Those bolts take a LOT of shear stress my man. Not something I'd be looking at cheaping out on. Engineers understand the tensile strength/shear stress of the caliper and it would be nothing short of foolish to just stick any random bolt in there. Not only for your safety but for the safety of others. PLEASE use the proper bolt. You may luck out but that's a dangerous road to go down. Ask me how I know. Good luck.

what does a wheel bearing bolt have to do with the caliper? I’m asking about a bolt that I can get with the strength rating at like 10.9 locally. There’s literally a picture of the wheel bearing.

Old 03-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by howarejew;[url=tel:1475762
1475762[/url]]You'd pay $560 for a brake kit but don't wanna pay $3.90 for a bolt?

Paying $50 with taxes and shipping for the set of bolts is ridiculous when the wheel studs are only $1-2 per stud. Thanks for the comment of disgust though.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:37 PM
Sorry, not caliper, hub assembly. I understand most of the shear stresses are on the cylindrical part of the outer housing of the bearing assembly itself, but there's also the factor of tensile strength for each bolt that plays in as well in this use case. In turning there is a lot of pulling strength needed in said bolts, and with that being said, the point still stands. Sometimes 10.9 isn't enough either. What if it's a higher grade than 10.9? Are you willing to put others and yourself at risk? Do you know the geometric load tolerances the bolt can handle over time? Would you really trust Lowes or Fastenal (mostly Chinese products with marginal at best QC per an insider) to take care of bolts that hand 1/4 of the vehicles load. Your call.

And for the record, the reason bolts like this are so expensive is BECAUSE they are specially engineered for this application. There's a massive liability risk with a bolt failing from factory and it's still not anything to mess around with, so the engineering team has to make sure it's going to be a little of a problem as possible without killing the company's balance sheet. That's also why airplane parts are so ridiculously expensive too. I mean unless you plan on driving under 30 mph and driving like you've got all the time in the world, I'd still lean towards the small price you pay for insuring your life and the lives of others.

With regard to kits themselves, as a guy who runs a shop, I try to stay away from Chinese parts as much as I can. The failure rates on such parts in even under a year is just astronomical, and have steadily been getting worse too. If you do have a good experience I'd like to know. I've been looking at a set for my Fit but maybe your experience can help someone else. Thanks for your time and good luck out there.