3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Wheel mod for suspension improvement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2023, 03:54 PM
Wheel mod for suspension improvement

I'm having a love and hate relationship with my GK. I literally feeling every bump, even worth on potholes and driving me crazy daily. We have really bad roads here in central Canada and I'm thinking of trading to a older Camry or Rav4 as I want more comfortable ride.

I'm thinking of an easier mod like putting 14in on her (currently on 16in) and heard it helps for softer ride. Any one have experience with this mod? how much improvement will it give me? I dont want to spend money on shocks etc as much as possible.

Old 06-05-2023, 06:53 PM
I can't give you a percentage improvement, but switching from 16-inch to 14-inch wheels while maintaining the same tire diameter will undoubtedly improve the ride. However, your handling will be a bit more dull.

This is one of the reasons why the cars of your childhood rode much better (and generally handled worse) than modern cars: the tall tire sidewall acted as part of the suspension. The Fit isn't even extreme in this sense, as most manufacturers now consider 55-series tires to be high profile.

For my 2010 GE8, I switch from 185/55R16 all-season tires on Fit Sport wheels to 185/70R14 winter tires on a set of older Civic alloy rims. The roads in my area are also atrocious, but at least when the snow's gone I can see and hopefully avoid the holes. The 14-inch winter wheels give me a small measure of extra protection in winter conditions. As a bonus, I kind of like the look of the chunkier winter tires on the Civic rims.

If you're interested in trying, Honda 14-inch wheels can often be found very cheaply because millions were sold and no one wants them anymore. I got my set of clean sandblasted Civic rims for $40 total and then primed and painted them myself for $35-40.

Last edited by Drew21; 06-05-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:52 PM
Thanks! Yea I'm thinking on putting some 14s and play with it. I dont mind sacrificing a bit of handling performance as I drive like a grandma anyway XD. Cheers!

Old 06-09-2023, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
i had 2 sets of aftermarket alloy 14" wheels one fits, the other locks the wheel weights on the caliper...beware alloys!!...or be careful!

Old 06-10-2023, 05:51 AM
This is interesting because my '15 is the most comfortable car I've had. Smooth ride and great handling (stock 16" wheels). I've posted this before, that my '04 Lexus es 330 rides rougher than the Honda. I know it sounds crazy, so it may be a matter of perception but I'm thrilled with the Fit's ride quality. It's the best of both worlds, great handling and a smooth ride.

Old 06-14-2023, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nayov
This is interesting because my '15 is the most comfortable car I've had. Smooth ride and great handling (stock 16" wheels). I've posted this before, that my '04 Lexus es 330 rides rougher than the Honda. I know it sounds crazy, so it may be a matter of perception but I'm thrilled with the Fit's ride quality. It's the best of both worlds, great handling and a smooth ride.
Your ES330 may be broken if that is the case. My modified sports car rides more comfortably than a stock Fit even.

Old 06-14-2023, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit has a short wheelbase. If you want a more comfortable ride look elsewhere.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by kilik31
I'm having a love and hate relationship with my GK. I literally feeling every bump, even worth on potholes and driving me crazy daily. We have really bad roads here in central Canada and I'm thinking of trading to a older Camry or Rav4 as I want more comfortable ride.

I'm thinking of an easier mod like putting 14in on her (currently on 16in) and heard it helps for softer ride. Any one have experience with this mod? how much improvement will it give me? I dont want to spend money on shocks etc as much as possible.
Going with 14s will certainly improve the ride. Especially during the winter months.
I went from the stock 16s to 15s and even that was a noticeable difference.

In terms of wheels, a set from any Honda product with 4x100 will fit (think 90s Civic, Del Sol etc).
I'm running a set of Acura EL wheels (circa 2001) on my Fit with no issues whatsoever.

Old 06-15-2023, 01:25 AM
I'd say it's more about stiff springs, short wheel travel, wheel diameter and low profile tyres. And the last one is the only one that can be changed easily. It certainly helps, but Fit will never become comparable to e.g. a French car in regards to making bumps unnoticeable.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by mike410b
Your ES330 may be broken if that is the case.
Pretty much. The car has overall been a huge disappointment and I've a replaced an inordinate amount of parts for a sub-150K mile car which is especially galling for a Lexus (Toyota).

Old 06-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! So after few days of posting this thread, I bought myself a Lexus 03 ES300 and immediately noticed the differences in ride quality. At this point I still have my Fit and quick conclusion, I love the Fit better!

Lexus: I did a lot of reading and basically people were saying Lexus ES 300 has this comfortable, cloudy ride and absorbs potholes quite well. It does but not a difference that makes me want to curse the ride of the Fit after all.
I bought it used with 170k km, safetied so I assume the suspension works as expected. It even has an electronic adjustable suspension softness! But understand that it won't drive as nice as new.
After few weeks of driving in the city and highways, I must say that the rough ride quality of the Fit is worth it now. Call me crazy but the Fit is just so much fun to drive now that I have something to compare.

I never had a second car and now that I have something to compare, I now don't hate the ride of the Fit lol. In fact I appreciate it more. I still have the 16" wheels so knowing that you guys switching to 15/14 notice a difference is awesome!

Don't get me wrong, the Lexus is a nice car and really smooth as well and just like NAYOV said, it may be a matter of perception but for me as well, the Fit has the best of both worlds. And for me, the Fit has more pros in my lifestyle than driving the Lexus (e.g gas, easy to park, CAN FIT TWO FULL SIZE BIKES, a lot nimble for avoiding potholes etc).

I'm keeping both cars as my wife needs it, but I'm for sure driving the Fit! XD

Old 06-22-2023, 09:58 AM
Wow, nice find you found one with the air suspension. Now those should ride like a cloud.