3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2019 Honda Fit holes under drivers side floor mat

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2023, 02:31 PM
2019 Honda Fit holes under drivers side floor mat

I bought a 2019 that had a modified gas pedal position for an amputee. The car has two holes from the pedal mount. Is there an easy and good way to fill the holes properly? The seller retained the screws that were used (see pictures) with the mounting bracket. The two holes are under the driver side floor mat. Is there any actual risk from water?

I cannot easily see under the car if there are exit holes because of the skid plate. I can stick the nail in the attached picture all the way through the hole.

I’m wondering if anyone has intimate knowledge with the this particular part of the cars body.

Last edited by Kirkland; 09-05-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:21 PM
I would lift off the floor mat so thst actual holes on the floor pan can be seen and reached, then spray some anti-corrosion agent to the hole area so much, that it is dripping underside, and put rubber plugs to the holes. I think getting the mat up requires removing the sill uplostery panel.

Last edited by TnTkr; 09-05-2023 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by TnTkr
I would lift off the floor mat so thst actual holes on the floor pan can be seen and reached, then spray some anti-corrosion agent to the hole area so much, that it is dripping underside, and put rubber plugs to the holes. I think getting the mat up requires removing the sill uplostery panel.
Thanks for the recommendation on this. What is the sill upholstery panel and are there removal instructions?

Last edited by Kirkland; 09-05-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:07 PM
The service manual provides instructions for completely disassembling and reassembling a Fit, including the interior.
To pull back the floorboard carpet a bit, you will have to remove the kick panel (the bit your left foot would hit if you kicked it from side to side) and the door sill trim (the bit that runs along the floor just inside the door. You will also have to remove the left foot dead pedal if you have that.
Most interior panels on the Fit pop off and back on easily... if you know the proper procedure. That's where the service manual comes in.

In the interim, wait until a dark (and stormy?) night and have someone shine a bright light into the holes while you look under the car. If you can't see any light, you'll know the holes don't go through.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Drew21
The service manual provides instructions for completely disassembling and reassembling a Fit, including the interior.
To pull back the floorboard carpet a bit, you will have to remove the kick panel (the bit your left foot would hit if you kicked it from side to side) and the door sill trim (the bit that runs along the floor just inside the door. You will also have to remove the left foot dead pedal if you have that.
Most interior panels on the Fit pop off and back on easily... if you know the proper procedure. That's where the service manual comes in.

In the interim, wait until a dark (and stormy?) night and have someone shine a bright light into the holes while you look under the car. If you can't see any light, you'll know the holes don't go through.
Great advice, thanks. I was thinking of doing the light trick as well. I’ll give that a shot tonight.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:42 PM
I am more worried about the rust due to the damaged paint than the hole itself.

Old 09-06-2023, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by TnTkr
I am more worried about the rust due to the damaged paint than the hole itself.
The light truck worked. I was able to see light from under a cross member under the car. One of the local auto body places offered to look at it so I’m going to probably go that route.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:09 AM
Sounds feasible. Just make sure they really make proper rust-prevention measures.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by Drew21
I would be glad to have such service manual for GK5. Where can you get it?

Old 09-08-2023, 06:02 PM
If this is where I think this is, to access:

You might need to remove the driver's seat. It certainly would make access easier.
You might need to remove the driver's side step trim. I can't remember if the carpet tucks under this. The B pillar trim certainly does. You might get away from not removing these trim pieces and be able to tuck the carpet back.
You can roll the carpet up from the driver's side step trim towards the middle of the car. You'll be working under the carpet which is still attached to the car.

As someone who's done multiple instances of sound deadening and had my amps under the seats, I've had to do this multiple times.

If you really, really have to remove the entire carpet, you'll need to snip the carpet that's behind the middle console at the front of the car.

The center console is a PITA to remove as it involves removing the trim below the radio.

FYI, the GK has open holes visible from the interior : in the trunk, I think Honda simply put in a common round plastic trim piece to plug it up. The front seat bolts opens up to the outside anyways.

These pics are not mine, I took them from Ebay:

If you want to remove the center console, you'll have to pry the center console storage panel at the rear, access 2 bolts that tied down the rear of the console. Then you'll need to know how to remove the trim below the radio b/c it gets in the way. There are 4 (?) plastic trim screws that hold the sides of the center console. I can't remember if there was something else. I had to shift the vehicle into D in order to remove the center console.

If it were me, I would suggest just try rolling (not removing) up the carpet first, maybe remove the driver's seat and trying to work from there.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 09-08-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:25 PM
Old 09-11-2023, 07:06 PM
Thanks guys. I'm taking it to a custom autobody place. They said they are able to pull the carpet and get under the car to fill the holes from both ends.