3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine cover/splash shield came off (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Engine cover/splash shield came off (finally)

The plastic cover/shield that needs to be removed to change the oil on my 2017 Fit finally came off, as they notoriously do, the other day. As expected the stupid plastic "bolts" at the back were nowhere to be seen, but the screws mostly held on and it didn't scrape on the road and destroy itself. Since the cover is undamaged I intend to put it back but I have a couple of questions:
  1. What's the best way to secure the back two holes? I could just get some replacement plastic bolts (Part #: 91514-tg1-t01), but there has to be a better way!
  2. I'm missing a couple of screws that must have rattled loose when the plastic bolts gave up. I can't find the part number for those. The ones that I have are not rusty so I'd like to get proper replacements.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
1. The plastic push pins are the only way to hold the cover on other than maybe with long ty-raps which you would have to cut off every time you want to remove the cover. The thing with those push pins is that they are not really intended for re-use. I just changed my oil and I installed new push pins as I do every time. They hold perfectly for me and have never failed.

2. Go to your local Honda parts department and get them to look up the part number for the screws. They should have them in stock. Buy extra.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Plastic Engine Cover.

Mine was scraping speed bumps and snow.

One winter day at the gas station my totally fell off. I picked it up and put it inside my Fit. When i got home I tossed it in the backyard. And eventually threw it in the trash.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Sigh. I was hoping there was a better way since it's been an issue for so long.
I actually had one of the plastic pins spare left over from when one fell off/broke many years ago. I'll stop at the dealer on the way home and get some replacements.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:30 AM
If you want to do better than the OEM pins you could install some rivnuts.
edit: Jack nuts if you want to skip the fancy tools.

Last edited by FitAnotherWay; 04-30-2024 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
I've never seen jack nuts before. Those look like they would work very well.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by futhamucka
Sigh. I was hoping there was a better way since it's been an issue for so long.
I actually had one of the plastic pins spare left over from when one fell off/broke many years ago. I'll stop at the dealer on the way home and get some replacements.
You can buy a large bag of these things fairly cheaply on Amazon. That's what I did.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
You can buy a large bag of these things fairly cheaply on Amazon. That's what I did.
Do you have a link? I searched for the part number and found some generic round pins, but I don't know if they'd work.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Search for "push pins automotive 10 mm" on Amazon. You need to look at the pictures and find something which looks very similar to the Honda one and is rated to fit into a 10 mm hole - that's the size of the hole in the under cover. In various sizes these things are widely used on almost all cars made today.

For example here's one:

Honda 10 mm push pin Honda 10 mm push pin

Old 04-30-2024, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
Excellent. That's great information. I think I actually have a variety pack of similar things. I'm going to have to check to see if I have any in that size.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
I went to a local dealer couple months back trying to get some of those replacement screws (the ones up front). They quoted me almost $10 each. Needless to say, I quickly ran out of there.

Old 05-01-2024, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lausy
I went to a local dealer couple months back trying to get some of those replacement screws (the ones up front). They quoted me almost $10 each. Needless to say, I quickly ran out of there.
Hah, that was my experience last night.
The screws were over $8 a piece (I only need two) and the plastic pins were over $5. I asked if the screws were made of solid gold, and then politely left. They seemed very understanding.
When I got home I found that I did indeed have some pins that will work, and probable hold better than the OEM ones. The screws were a little more tricky. I looked around a local Ace Hardware, but they didn't have anything that had a wide head like that. So grudgingly I ordered some on Amazon. $6 for a pack of ten is a bit more reasonable.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
i need the wide head screws and will happily pay 6 dollars if i dont need to talk to a living soul.....whats the part number?

i used "well nuts" i got at home depot for rears when they blew off through giant puddle..i think its better to allow "blowage" if needed...as you have done.....I usally "Hinge" the cover on the rear when i change the oil so i wanted something "better" ie (pay allota money feel better)

Last edited by 2015FITEX; 05-03-2024 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
The 10mm automotive push pins fit perfectly in the two rear holes and they hold much firmer than the original ones.

I used
these these
for screws. Turns out they're just #10 screws with a washer painted black. They fit perfectly. Five minutes later everything is attached again.

Old 05-05-2024, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
thanks,unfortunately in canada its 6 dollars and 9 dollars shipping...lol...i cant pay that ...the #10 is good info,might go to homedepot and look around. maybe i can just use a regular washer under a reg head screw

Old 05-05-2024, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
I bought a bag of machine screws for the Fit with the built in washer from Amazon Canada a few years ago in case I had to replace the existing ones (due to rust) but I set it aside and I never actually got around to checking them out to make sure they were the right size. An ordinary sheet metal machine screw of the right size/thread pitch should do and all you have to do is throw on a washer. Maybe next oil change when I'm under there I'll test them out. I had marked on the bag " #6-16 " as the size at the time I received them but again not sure if that's correct.

Old 05-06-2024, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by futhamucka
The plastic cover/shield that needs to be removed to change the oil on my 2017 Fit finally came off, as they notoriously do, the other day. As expected the stupid plastic "bolts" at the back were nowhere to be seen, but the screws mostly held on and it didn't scrape on the road and destroy itself. Since the cover is undamaged I intend to put it back but I have a couple of questions:
  1. What's the best way to secure the back two holes? I could just get some replacement plastic bolts (Part #: 91514-tg1-t01), but there has to be a better way!
  2. I'm missing a couple of screws that must have rattled loose when the plastic bolts gave up. I can't find the part number for those. The ones that I have are not rusty so I'd like to get proper replacements.
sorry that I have to repeat myself. It stayed off after the first free oil/filter change at the dealer. Now 2017 Fit LX CVT has over 138K miles and everything is just fine. The undercover is like new.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Somehow those who did their own oil change, cvt transmission fluid change etc, never had issue with the loose screws/push pins/splash shield. Seem like those who have their car serviced by others are the ones with issue on the splash shield/loose screws/push pins.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
i think thats generally true, i never EVER removed the rear ones....until giant puddle blew one off......those back ones arent great though...DO better honda!!!...LOL