3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Autoweek's Unglowing REview - 2015 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Not a lot of Honda quality though. It's built in Mexico. Not that it matters but it's nice knowing your car was built in the same country as the manufacturer. Better fit and finish imo.
How do you personally know this ? No one knows for sure, and it would be irresponsible to judge the quality at this time. Give it a few months with professionals, and the public to make the judgement call. Than give it more time (A few years) for the final score.

We have only Mexico, and China for our Fits in North America now, not Japan. I have a good friend that owns a Dodge Truck built in Mexico and so far, so good.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Quality has a lot to do with design, not just assembly. It wouldn't matter if a 2004 Jetta VR6 had been hand built by golden oompa loompas, it would still be falling apart today regardless.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:25 PM
For those still wanting to read the article that was removed, google has a cache of it before they took it down:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by snowmany
For those still wanting to read the article that was removed, google has a cache of it before they took it down:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us
How did you get the link? I tried to find the google cache link to post here, but there was no "cached" link available.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by xorbe
How did you get the link? I tried to find the google cache link to post here, but there was no "cached" link available.
If you click the green arrow at the end of the URL listed it should drop down a small menu with the cached page as an option.

Name:  tmFkuRP.png
Views: 8
Size:  27.3 KB

Anyways... the review was pretty brief? Hopefully other reviewers go into more detail on their pros and cons.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 AM
Quality has a lot to do with design, not just assembly. It wouldn't matter if a 2004 Jetta VR6 had been hand built by golden oompa loompas, it would still be falling apart today regardless.
shots fired

The truth tho.

I will still wait to see what the Mexico plant puts out for the first year. We already know the paint quality of the first Chinese Fits was subpar, I don't suspect the paint to be an issue this time around but we'll see what else may pop up.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
How do you personally know this ? No one knows for sure, and it would be irresponsible to judge the quality at this time. Give it a few months with professionals, and the public to make the judgement call. Than give it more time (A few years) for the final score.

We have only Mexico, and China for our Fits in North America now, not Japan. I have a good friend that owns a Dodge Truck built in Mexico and so far, so good.
I believe you're right. I just like knowing that it's built by people that know the car (you know, the Japanese)

just me lol

Old 04-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Wouldn't it be interesting to hear from some of Honda's Production Engineers/Supervisors (or whatever they're called) as to the quality, costs, etc. of domestic Japanese vs. overseas assembly…

Good research topic for some aspiring business student… pay rates, education, culture, language….

But I'd be willing to bet that most of the robotics programming occurs in Japan, in places like Sayama, Saitama … in the huge Engineering building, alongside the relative small assembly building.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
I believe you're right. I just like knowing that it's built by people that know the car (you know, the Japanese)

just me lol
I'm hoping that Mexico will not drop the ball and we early adopters don't suffer. Japanese reps will be on hand at the plant I'm sure to over see the first productions making sure the employees do a good job. Just hoping out loud :thumb ups:

My first unhappy find is that Honda still won't allow more interior colors like the Japanese have but with the Leather instead of cloth, I could live with it.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
I'm hoping that Mexico will not drop the ball and we early adopters don't suffer. Japanese reps will be on hand at the plant I'm sure to over see the first productions making sure the employees do a good job. Just hoping out loud :thumb ups:

My first unhappy find is that Honda still won't allow more interior colors like the Japanese have but with the Leather instead of cloth, I could live with it.
"Japanese rep on hand ensuring a 'good job'." Employing "old school" techniques...

Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BurntZ
thank goodness Honda finally used their brains and stole room from the cargo area to provide more leg room for human beings. Gee, just what we needed all these years was tons of cubic feet to carry our umbrella. That's about the same logic as to why people feel the need to drive a Suburban around. All that room for one person is ridiculous. It just amazes me how families of 5 or 6 got around in the 60's and 70's with just an ordinary station wagon.
If you're only carrying one person, what's rear legroom to you? Get a 500. The large (for its class) cargo area was one of the biggest attractions for the Fit- the four of us and a week's worth of groceries at the same time! Just like an ordianry station wagon... which in the 60s and 70s was a huge beast.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
+ if it was built in Japan, where they've already long started the manufacturing of the JDM Fit's, it would probably be less problematic for the US version cause they've been building similar ones for months.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:41 AM

There really are golden oompa loompas?!?

I thought they were only make-believe...

Back to the topic at hand - I was pretty happy with a 2007 Suzuki SX4 hatchback (except for the ridiculous 25mpg max combined with an 11 gallon gas tank), so I expect to be very happy with the new Fit which is completely superior to the SX4 ('cept for the AWD which was awesome in the snow).

Old 04-10-2014, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
As long as they aren't building the new Fits in Detroit City everything should be okay.. Mexicans take pride in doing good work and have had good relations with Japan for over a century..

Old 04-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
As long as they aren't building the new Fits in Detroit City everything should be okay.. Mexicans take pride in doing good work and have had good relations with Japan for over a century..
Furthermore, with the mess they made of the Civic still fresh in their memory, I would expect that Honda has taken great care to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with the new Fit.