3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.
View Poll Results: What is your Transmission choice?
CVT
37.28%
6MT
62.72%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

CVT or 6MT Poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by teamcheap
And most people don't drive the FIT on the highway much anyway.
Really? You've spoken to how many Fit owners to ascertain this fact?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Really? You've spoken to how many Fit owners to ascertain this fact?
I meant long distance driving where tall 6 gear for low RPM cruising.
I don't see any Fit out on I-10 between West Texas and California.
Being in car car droning at 4000 RPM all day seems like no party.
Just not the best tool for the job.
I'm sure some people do it and enjoy the challenge.
I've a friend who rode a dirtbike all the way to the tip of South America for fun...but not for most people.

Last edited by teamcheap; 01-05-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
I meant long distance driving where tall 6 gear for low RPM cruising.
I don't see any Fit out on I-10 between West Texas and California.
Being in car car droning at 4000 RPM all day seems like no party.
Just not the best tool for the job.
I'm sure some people do it and enjoy the challenge.
I've a friend who rode a dirtbike all the way to the tip of South America for fun...but not for most people.
That's pickup country so no surprise you didn't see any Fits

The whole high RPM feature is why I bought the CVT model. My Fit is my commuter car so I wanted the best MPG of the two. When I started my research the CVT is rated higher MPG than the manual to my surprise. I would have bought the manual otherwise as I've driven many manual cars and motorcycles.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
Putting the gear ratio closer together, will increase acceleration.
I suspect this is why the Man FIT feel so peppy.
If they make the 6 gear taller (lower RPM for cruising), then some people will complain the car is slow/ have no passing power.
And most people don't drive the FIT on the highway much anyway.
You are definitely way off. Your opinion is without merit. Seeing the results of the poll, there are definitely more enthusiastic spirited drivers in this forum, yet, the CVT outsell the 6 spd manual 9-1. The casual drivers are out there driving their CVT Fit. Honda realized the type of FIT drivers prefer the Gen 3 over the Gen 2, with a more technical 4 cylinder DOHC engine and the CVT, more hp and mpg as well. You should go to the subforum about trips with the FIT and the C&D article why those snobish spirited writers prefer the FIT on a long road trip why they selected the FIT for their trip. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...m-test-wrap-up Start here... Six-foot-three-inch technical editor Eric Tingwall was departing for an 1100-mile round trip to upstate New York with three equally tall friends of Scandinavian descent when he found himself confronted with a Catch-22 of sorts, having to choose between sufficient physical space (the Fit) or a higher level of interstate serenity (pretty much everything else in the lot).

Last edited by wasserball; 01-06-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
I just bought my 2015 Fit EX 6MT a few days ago. I'll be honest, I never considered the CVT. I've been driving for 32 years (Well, longer than that actually, I was a farm kid) and I've never owned an automatic. I don't ever plan to. For me it's about the driving experience, the greater control that the manual gearbox gives me, particularly in bad weather/low traction conditions, and the greater durability and reliability of a manual. I'm someone who keeps a car for a long time, so the simplicity and durability of the manual gearbox is comforting. Not knocking anyone who chooses a CVT in their Fit. It's just not for me.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
When I was in the market to replace the beater Ford Focus last spring (Focus engine dropped a valve seat, FUBARed), I shopped for a manual transmission in a FIT ... went to 2 dealers, both claimed they had none and might not be able to get one....by sheer chance, walking through the lot, the salesman peeks into a CPO black LX, and, lo and behold, it was a 6 spd I don't particularly care for how quickly black cars look dirty, would've loved a white one, but....to me, trans choice > color. Took a test drive, loved it....went back next day for another test drive (different route), I was sold. 2 days later, it was mine. I didn't bother test driving a CVT, beings as the few CVT equipped cars I have driven just didn't feel "right"......hell, I'd prefer a traditional auto to a CVT...personal preference. I do love the look of the black exterior with the only chrome being the H emblems, love the non-touchscreen dash, love the 6 spd. have driven from suburban Koxville to suburban Detroit, and down to Gulf Shores.....the highway drone isn't bad, especially compared to older cars....and there's always iPod through Bluetooth to drown out road noise. Yeah, it's 4000 rpm@ 80 mph, but still got 43 mpg.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I don't particularly care for how quickly black cars look dirty, would've loved a white one, but....to me, trans choice > color.
Same with me. I would have loved a metallic steel but the 6MT pickings were slim and I didn't have the luxury of waiting so I settled for the most boring color on the planet. It doesn't bother me anymore but I was a little butthurt for those first few months.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
I wonder if the cvt was cheaper.... if the results would go the other way. lol

Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I seriously doubt it.....you either want or a manual, or you don't. Sure, a CVT is better on gas, but short on fun....have driven several cars with CVTs and do NOT care for them, I don't care if they're more efficient. I'd rather have a traditional slushbox or a DCT, but I guess the CVT is "the future" for us .....although, when I was a kid, the year 2000 was, like, the space-age future and we'd have flying cars. I'm good with my 6 speed manual, thankyouverymuch

Old 05-01-2018, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I don't think this poll is really representative of "IRL". In real life. Since this is an "enthusiasts" forum, most people who join are from a certain demographic. The majority of Honda Fits are sold with the CVT, it's only a single digit percentage that are sold with the 6MT but the opposite is shown by the poll.

I was actually looking at the 6MT when shopping for my next commuter car. I only switched to the CVT after further research showed that the CVT got better gas mileage. Since I drive a lot of miles, the cost of the CVT has already been "paid for" by the better gas mileage.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
right, my wife would NEVER have any interest to be a member here to post for a poll. majority of people just buy or lease the fit for a to b transportation.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
well, im cheap ... so 6 spd for me

Old 05-01-2018, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
I just stumbled across this thread, again? I must have voted because I am not allow to vote. I suspect the CVT drivers are happily driving their cars while the 6spd manual guys are continuously complaining about how the Fit is turning into a land yacht.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:22 AM
5 Year Member
It's really irrelevant. Electric cars are slowly coming and terms like "CVT" and "MT" will be consigned to history.

Old 07-05-2019, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Stick with the stick. At least you know you have a huge posse here to back you up. I'll come back to the Fit if they have a turbocharged CVT version. Maybe!

I'm really enjoying my 2018 Honda Civic turbo with CVT though. It's fun picking on Type R's and modded Si's.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member
Smile

Hey, I did that! It was great fun. I also rode a Chinese 150cc street bike from Xin Jiang to Tibet. Much tougher, but still great fun!

Old 07-14-2019, 05:37 PM
For me at the end of the day, it's just a Honda Fit made to be economical and practical for everyday use. Unless you're trying to make it into a track track car, manual would best. If I wanna drive stick, I just take my S2000 out

Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by hmnunes97
For me at the end of the day, it's just a Honda Fit made to be economical and practical for everyday use. Unless you're trying to make it into a track track car, manual would best. If I wanna drive stick, I just take my S2000 out

agreed. but i am too poor to own more than one vehicle, so i gotta go with fit manual (cry)

Old 07-15-2019, 09:35 PM
I had new 1998 and 2001 CRV's with the manual trans but I think they were 5 speeds. Shifted real easy with light clutch effort. I recently bought a used 2017 FIT LX with cvt. Could not fit a MT fit down here in Rio Grande Valley TX

Old 07-16-2019, 05:17 AM
I chose CVT because the Fit is my a-to-b daily driver and also there were no manual Fits anyways. I definitely see the "driver's car" appeal of a manual transmission, but I also love technology and CVT is very intriguing to me. It's not just fuel efficient, but it also has the potential to be performance efficient. I've been playing a lot more with 'S' mode and the paddle shifters and I definitely feel a more engaging ride than I did with my previous automatic car. Whereas 'D' is the economy mode that favors fuel efficiency, 'S' mode is the performance mode that favors peak power. And then there's paddle shifting for when you want to manually tweak that gear ratio curve of either mode.

I really love 'S' mode, the engine just growls and the car feels so peppy. They should call it VTEC mode. A light tap on the accelerator and it just moves without a second thought. Totally different experience than just driving 'D' mode. Nothing like the glorious drone of a CVT operating at continuous peak power! Okay, maybe that's just my CVT cope talking, but it's not bad, I swear.

Quick Reply: CVT or 6MT Poll