3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can the New Fit Tow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Yes, there's that weasel word "can" again. You'll never get a straight answer out of Honda, only a boilerplate lawyer's statement that is as vague as possible.

Of course there is a blatant lie there too, since the Fit is an international platform and is manufacturer approved for towing in other countries. Of course it is designed for towing! I'll bet that there are even hardpoints designed into the unibody for a bolt-on hitch.
I find this sort of thing annoying. I sort of blame the American public because I suspect it is the result of the culture of litigation that makes the lawyers think this is the best way of approaching the issue. I wanted to reply that their refusal to put a tow rating on the car has me looking for other cars, but replies are not allowed (noreply@honda). There is a phone number, but in the unlikely event they admit I could tow 1000lbs, I would have no way of referencing that if I needed to make a warranty claim.

"Weasel" word is right, as is the part about them lying for the design specification. VW Bugs could tow small loads at less weight and maybe 1/4 of the power!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:01 PM
I have a 1st gen. I recall reading somewhere that the 1st gen. Jazz is qualified to tow 1,000 lbs. ( The weight also includes the trailer.) My Fit manual says not approved for towing. I'm torn...I would get a hitch and screw the warranty if it wasn't for the fact that the Fit cannot take the smallest hit without getting damage. Trailers are tricky and so is the stuff you put in them. The subject is moot though...I totaled my fit on Monday. Now I have to find the same 2008 Fit sport in Pearl Black. I love(ed) my car!

Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Canoehead
I sort of blame the American public because I suspect it is the result of the culture of litigation...
In one way you are right, but that "culture of litigation" also gives Honda a good justification for the practice of upselling customers to more expensive cars they don't really need if they happen to want to tow.

Many Europeans, with $10 gas, don't consider the Fit an entry-level car. They consider it a family car and they demand towing capability. If Honda didn't provide it, another manufacturer would and Honda loses sales.

In the US, Fits are entry level, and Honda wants to sell them only as a "gateway" vehicle to the higher profit models. Nobody is supposed to buy a second Fit, they're supposed to move up to a CR-V or Pilot. The fact that those vehicles are rated in the US to tow is a selling point.

Last edited by GeorgeL; 10-19-2014 at 10:28 PM.