3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2013 v. 2015 - rear cargo space

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:04 PM
interesting gif!

It seems like the 2015 fit would have more cargo space, judging from the comparisons.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:38 PM
[IMG][/IMG]
Originally Posted by cmchan
interesting gif!

It seems like the 2015 fit would have more cargo space, judging from the comparisons.
Fit length is about an inch shorter than the 2013 and about an inch or so wider. Look at the spec's. The photo shown is not accurate

By the numbers by Bradley Hasemeyer

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...3C06781A276255

Last edited by SR45; 05-22-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
Fit length is about an inch shorter than the 2013 and about an inch or so wider. Look at the spec's. The photo shown is not accurate
Are you comparing american Fit version? It's an inch shorter than the gif is accurate, if you can see about 5 inches are taken off of the nose and added a few inches to the rear. It's still a bit hard to visualize. They cut off the front to make a bit more room in the back.

The first gif i made first was the Japanese versions, which noses are the same, this one is not accurate most likely. The images were not consistent.

It looks like they shrunk the nose, made wheel base an inch longer, added a bit more to the back.

Last edited by Emirii; 05-22-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Emirii
Are you comparing american Fit version? It's an inch shorter than the gif is accurate, if you can see about 5 inches are taken off of the nose and added a few inches to the rear. It's still a bit hard to visualize. They cut off the front to make a bit more room in the back.

The first gif i made first was the Japanese versions, which noses are the same, this one is not accurate most likely. The images were not consistent.

It looks like they shrunk the nose, made wheel base an inch longer, added a bit more to the back.
Yes, USA model. Check out the video I just linked to on " By the numbers"

YouTube with Honda blogger Bradley Hasemeyer - Bing Videos

Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cmchan
interesting gif!

True, until you factor in that the rear seat moved back by 4.5"

Old 05-22-2014, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, everything got shifted back. Can't find any good "cross section" renders to compare by to see the inside difference. So as far as seats up storage it most definitely got cut. The gif was mainly to show how the body has changed.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:18 PM
It is a cool gif Emirii, great way to see the difference! It would be tough to find 2 photos that that would match up in this world of photoshopping. Thanks for taking the time to do it

Old 05-22-2014, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Well, Honda did hang a big snout on the earlier Fit for the US market. Perhaps they engineered it to be more compact for the new "world market" version.
Yes - they did add a larger snout on the 2nd gen US Fit. The short-nose version wasn't designed for US crash standards, so they had to add a bit.

The new one looks like it's got both more wheelbase and more rear crash-absorbing metal. I would guess the lower cargo room is from the frame or suspension encroaching on the trunk a tiny bit more, or it's just a measurement difference -- they probably aren't the same person doing the calculations, not after 10 years

Anyway, the difference is not large. The new Fit is more elegantly proportioned, slightly more efficient and fast, slightly more boring, and has about the same space inside. I don't think I'd have a lot more to add

Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Floor height...

Originally Posted by Japan Tragic
Id need to get the measuring tape out, the 'magic' seats look nearly identical in operation to the GE with how they fold down etc. Its possible they sit higher but I dont think so.

from the look of all the measurements so far they are almost the same with the GK being slightly ahead. Cargo space wise I dont think there is enough of a difference either way for the amount of attention this forum seems to be making about it.

will chase it up next time I get to take the fit out.
The bottom of the back seat looks much thicker in the new fit. Also there is a real spare tire under the floor in the rear of the cargo area. That probably makes the floor higher in the new fit and accounts for some of the loss in cargo space.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Splash
The bottom of the back seat looks much thicker in the new fit. Also there is a real spare tire under the floor in the rear of the cargo area. That probably makes the floor higher in the new fit and accounts for some of the loss in cargo space.
you guys get a full spare tire? there is no spare tyre in the JDM version, its just a pump and puncture repair spray.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
After having my 09 Fit for 6 years, and scrutinizing the new Fit's interior, I don't even need to measure to see that the new Fit has easily much LESS space than the GE in terms of headroom, trunk space and cargo space with rear seats down. The floor is visibly much higher and ceiling lower. Trunk space is less deep, with the floor much higher and the wheel wells intrude more. Too bad.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
After having my 09 Fit for 6 years, and scrutinizing the new Fit's interior, I don't even need to measure to see that the new Fit has easily much LESS space than the GE in terms of headroom, trunk space and cargo space with rear seats down. The floor is visibly much higher and ceiling lower. Trunk space is less deep, with the floor much higher and the wheel wells intrude more. Too bad.
all measurements are saying otherwise which is strange.

Old 08-01-2014, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by CrystalFiveMT
and yet, I can fit 2 bikes (48 cm and 56 cm, standing up, front wheels off) in the back with only part of the back seat folded down, leaving room for gear in the back end and a 3rd passenger in the back seat. Or the two bikes with the whole back seat folded down plus room for 2 suitcases, 2 large gear bags, a medium ice chest...

Don't have an older Fit to compare to, but my 2015 is pretty darn roomy!

Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
I did make some measurement comparisons between the GE and GK cargo areas. The size of the floor is almost identical, both seats up or seats down. I confirmed, as someone else had already posted, that the cargo mat from the GE fits almost perfectly behind the rear seat in the GK.

It appeared that all of the difference between the two cars is from the load floor being approximately 2" higher in the GK, and the sunroof causes a loss of about 1" in overhead space. I measured 51" from the floor of the back seat to the roofliner in the GE and in the GK was 48". This measurement was 43" in the GK from the center hump to the roofliner and 46" in the GE. The height of the cargo area seats down to roofliner was 36" in the GK and 39" in the GE.

So overall the cargo area of the new car is 3" less tall throughout. So if you stack stuff all the way from the floor to the roof, you might not be able to fit as much. But from a more practical sense. The GK rear hatch opening is actually 2" taller(33" vs 31") than the hatch opening of the GE. So if you are trying to carry a tall box or item, it will more easily fit thru the hatch on the new car. Overall both cars are still in a class of their own for cargo space in the subcompact or compact class.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
I used to brag that my Subaru's could carry a couple of 8-foot pieces of lumber --- resting them on the dashboard just short of the windshield---and then hoping to not have to hit the brakes on the way home.

My new Fit can carry a large amount of 8-foot material and the ends are in the passenger footwell -- much safer!

Old 10-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by ydnality
Thanks for this! I've been comparing the Fit to the Mitsubishi Mirage for some time, and on paper the Mirage is almost as big. In reality (I've driven and been in both cars) the Mirage is noticeably smaller.

This is my synopsis of the relative efficiency/economy of both cars: Efficiency/Economy comparisons to Honda Fit - MirageForum.com

I included your link here:
Cargo Volume? - MirageForum.com

Old 10-14-2014, 11:17 AM
2015 has the same chasis as previous model

Old 10-14-2014, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by Japan Tragic
you guys get a full spare tire? there is no spare tyre in the JDM version, its just a pump and puncture repair spray.
Well, we get a doughnut, not a full size spare. In the western US it is possible to be hours away from a tow truck so a real spare is a necessity. Some manufacturers like Kia are trying to foist the sealant kits on us and then sell a spare wheel/tire/jack at an inflated price but Honda thankfully provides a doughnut spare.

My Scion xB also has a spare tire where the Japanese bB did not. It was amusing to find out that they had to store the jack under the driver's seat since the xB was not really designed to be anything other than a JDM car.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
I am happy I can fit my 2 kayaks inside my 2010 GE- one is 8' 3 " the other is 7 ' 10".

It would be even better if the rear seat configuration was the opposite 60/40 configuration- but it works.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by sooznd
I am happy I can fit my 2 kayaks inside my 2010 GE- one is 8' 3 " the other is 7 ' 10".

It would be even better if the rear seat configuration was the opposite 60/40 configuration- but it works.
YES! If you have to carry something diagonally, you have to fold down both rear seats. If the 60/40 were swapped, you could leave the 40 half in place behind the driver and only fold the passenger side.

Quick Reply: 2013 v. 2015 - rear cargo space