3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2013 v. 2015 - rear cargo space

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian
YES! If you have to carry something diagonally, you have to fold down both rear seats. If the 60/40 were swapped, you could leave the 40 half in place behind the driver and only fold the passenger side.
Having the smaller seat behind the driver seat would be ideal-- then I could carry a passenger (legally).

Old 10-15-2014, 11:27 PM
I read the 2015 have less rear hip room than the previous generations. Is this due somehow to moving the seat back to create more legroom? How does it impact the comfort of the backseat passengers (esp if you have three people riding in the back)? Thanks...

Old 10-16-2014, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitE
I read the 2015 have less rear hip room than the previous generations. Is this due somehow to moving the seat back to create more legroom? How does it impact the comfort of the backseat passengers (esp if you have three people riding in the back)? Thanks...
I read about that and saw the Fit's rear seat hip room spec was shockingly narrow. So I brought along a tape measure for our test drive. The seat bottom and seat back cushions are narrow at their intersection due to the rear wheel well intrusion. However, the front of the wheel well is basically flush with the cushion and the round human butt doesn't even touch that area of the seat. Not an issue.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:40 AM
How would it be for child seats? The GE Fit is amazing in that regard - holds 3 across much easier than my previous Civic, which basically couldn't do it.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
This is only my opinion... take it for what you paid for it. You might be able to cram three 16-17" wide car seats in, but there's no crush space in the event of a side collision. The probability of a child losing fingers between adjacent seats is higher. The last car made I'd consider using three cars seats across the back seat would be a full-sized car from the sixties. Today that would be a full-size pickup truck. That leaves us with vehicles that have three rows of seats, starting with the Mazda 5 and getting larger. YMMV

Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
I read about that and saw the Fit's rear seat hip room spec was shockingly narrow. So I brought along a tape measure for our test drive. The seat bottom and seat back cushions are narrow at their intersection due to the rear wheel well intrusion. However, the front of the wheel well is basically flush with the cushion and the round human butt doesn't even touch that area of the seat. Not an issue.
Sorry did not understand it clearly... do you mean to say that the 45 inch rear seat hiproom is narrow only at the trunk end of the seat? And the rear seat is more broader towards the front end where our legs would be?

I asked the dealer this question during a test drive about the new Honda Fit having surprisingly low rear seat hiproom compared to most other cars in this category and he just brushed it aside (should have carried a tape to sound more serious).

Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cyclist007
Sorry did not understand it clearly... do you mean to say that the 45 inch rear seat hiproom is narrow only at the trunk end of the seat? And the rear seat is more broader towards the front end where our legs would be?
Yes, and to add to the above, the bottom of the seat back is narrower than the top.

Go here.

Click on the "Interior" tab. Click on the third thumbnail down in the left column.

That's a slide show with a head on view of the rear seat. You can see the wheel wells below the outboard seat belt/shoulder harness tabs. When you get to the shot of the seat bottoms folded up, it's even more clear.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian
How would it be for child seats? The GE Fit is amazing in that regard - holds 3 across much easier than my previous Civic, which basically couldn't do it.
We have a rear facing infant seat (britax b-safe) and my 5'7'' wife can sit comfortably in the passenger seat with room to spare. I can't speak to whether you can fit 3 seats back there though.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Yes, and to add to the above, the bottom of the seat back is narrower than the top.

Go here.

Click on the "Interior" tab. Click on the third thumbnail down in the left column.

That's a slide show with a head on view of the rear seat. You can see the wheel wells below the outboard seat belt/shoulder harness tabs. When you get to the shot of the seat bottoms folded up, it's even more clear.
Thank you. That is indeed unfortunate. The lack of intrusion at that point is what makes the GE so good for child seats (which DO have square corner, unlike humans). Rear legroom was already very good, so I'm not sure why they felt the need to increase it.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:16 PM
It looks like the 2019 GK Fit has clearance issues in sliding rear cargo into the back. It looks like the height clearance (LATCH) to lower entrance height of 28” and a max width of 38” (but only 32” width to squeeze in a box along the bottom entrance).

Did someone ever determine 3D dimensions of a theoretical box fitting into the GK?

Old 10-08-2019, 09:28 PM
5 Year Member
I never complain about the Fit cargo space.
For a Sub-Compact it's amazing.
The configurable storage options allow you to haul things you have no right hauling in a vehicle as small as the Fit.

And the flat load floor if you lower the back-seats, is hard to match with any vehicle.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 AM
I potentially will be purchasing a medium sized snowthrower 124 miles away. I need a will it fit recommendation. So I went out and measured the potential issue areas - like the loading something that's 250 lbs. into the cargo area from a ramp. That initial "getting it over the inlet threshold" where the lower horizontal entrance area to the center LATCH protrusion on the ceiling is a limiting height. Once over that lower horizontal threshold, I have more height to play with.

It looks like the height clearance from (LATCH) to lower entrance height of 28” and a max width of 38” (but only 32” width to squeeze in a box along the bottom entrance).

Old 10-09-2019, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
My coworker gave me a non-functioning snowblower and I was able to put it in my GK. It's only a 125cc version so it's not terribly heavy.

Old 10-09-2019, 03:47 PM
My old 2002 CRV had a published cargo dimensions in the owners manual (a what will fit). I'm specifically looking at this Ariens Deluxe 24 beast at 52 x 32 x 35 in. So at 35" height - I will not be able to get the box into my GK because the entrance height is 32" from lower deck to upper ceiling (that LATCH component that sticks down from the ceiling as a low point).