3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Coming from a bmw to fit, slight hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Coming from a bmw to fit, slight hesitation

I currently drive an e46 BMW, and I really like it. I however have always loved the fit, almost bought one in january but waited for this new body style. The ex with a 6mt is screaming my name...
I am having doubts if ill like the change going from a really comfortable car that drives really well and has lots of power and is really refined to what is essentially a tech filled econobox. A really nice econobox but in a different class when it comes to refinement and interior quality, fit and finish, materials.

Im thinking these thoughts will wear off after a few weeks after I adjust to the fit.

The other thing is the dealer is offering 2k off a '13 sport mt. I told him I'd take one for 3k off but otherwise I'd rather pay sticker and get the newest model.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:48 AM
That's a tough one my friend. The gas mileage and lower maintenance could be worth it, but only you can answer that. Best of luck.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
In all honesty, the Fit will never replace the experience of driving the "Ultimate Driving Machine". Its not meant to do so.

Having had my share of BMW's in the past (4 w/ 3 of them M/T) and my four sons, currently w/ 3 series' (have driven them all), the brand has vehicles meant for a totally different purpose and driving desire. They are not designed mainly for frugality, but rather more towards sportiness.

Once that mindset is accepted, I'll wager you'll settle on the Fit's character when you experience its strengths: mpg, reliability, low maintenance, flexibility etc......

Many of the FFs have come from more expensive vehicles and are now smitten by the Fit wave. Look at the owners of GDs and GEs - staunch and loyal!!!

That's what happened after owning my GD. Approach it as owning one of the better sub-compacts available. It will result in a rewarding long-term ownership.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
If you are looking for something sportier, the 2 series Active Tourer would be a better choice. It comes out next year.

Name:  af2oolt.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  71.7 KB

Old 06-20-2014, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
Don't know if your an Audi fan but the Audi A3 is a nice combination of power and styling and also has a cargo area, albeit not big as the Fit's but still nice. They claim it gets 30MPG on the highway too.

I always wanted one of these but couldn't afford it.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Not having to visit the mechanic as often and mostly just doing reg maintenances will set you free....

Old 06-20-2014, 01:19 PM
sigh...I had a BMW Z3 convertible 6 cyl when they first came out. Loved that car.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
We had a '04 BMW 325i auto w/ sport package for a couple months; It was nice and all but I loved driving my Accord way more than driving it.

My euro friends all kept saying "the BMW is a gateway drug". Well.. maybe for them but I'm a Honda person at heart and was fine letting it go. We traded it in on a '06 Honda Pilot EX-L, and I'll be getting a Fit around August/Sept.

Something fun about driving Honda cars - even if it's low powered once you set it up right they can handle and make driving extremely fun (with great MPG and easy maintenance).

Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by fibrepunk
Not having to visit the mechanic as often and mostly just doing reg maintenances will set you free....
My job consists of working in a shop full of BMWs. This is how I got this one, from a customer who bought a brand new Dodge Challenger something or another. It has been fully maintained (thousands in receipts ) but I have been bit by german cars many times on my cross country trips. I drive to Canada a lot and I just cant trust a 100k mile BMW anymore, its just too paintful to breakdown far from home, even if i am a mechanic and work on cars for a living

Old 06-20-2014, 03:11 PM
When I think back on the higher labor/parts charges for work on my old BMW plus the higher cost of gas I am glad that I made the choice to go with the Fit.

Sometimes I miss the power, durability of the paint and luxury of the BMW but to me the Fit is really fun to drive, like a nimble go cart and I have cut my fuel cost pretty much in half.

For the cost of the Fit, it's amazing cargo space and its track record for reliability it was a good logical choice for me. Sure I miss the BMW at times but I still love my Fit after 2 years.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Carmac
I currently drive an e46 BMW, and I really like it. I however have always loved the fit, almost bought one in january but waited for this new body style. The ex with a 6mt is screaming my name...
I am having doubts if ill like the change going from a really comfortable car that drives really well and has lots of power and is really refined to what is essentially a tech filled econobox. A really nice econobox but in a different class when it comes to refinement and interior quality, fit and finish, materials.

Im thinking these thoughts will wear off after a few weeks after I adjust to the fit.

The other thing is the dealer is offering 2k off a '13 sport mt. I told him I'd take one for 3k off but otherwise I'd rather pay sticker and get the newest model.
I'm trading in my 2000 BMW 740i for the 2015 Fit. Sure my 740i is faster, more luxurious, handles better, etc. It has zero issues and a few mods on it as well. I'll be trading it in for a plain-ole LX CVT. I can't wait! I want great fuel mileage, reliability, durability, great depreciation, etc, etc. There is an inner fear of any maintenance costs that I may get if something goes wrong with the BMW. I hardly ever drive it.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Godlike acceleration is a blast, but a pass you have to carefully set up is satisfying. It was your pass, not the car's.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
.......a pass you have to carefully set up is satisfying. It was your pass, not the car's........
First time I have ever thought about this and makes complete sense. That should calm down my dream of ever getting that 458 Speciale!!! Honda Fit here I come again!!!

Old 06-21-2014, 10:44 AM
5 Year Member
Man, I got rid of my 07 bmw 335i and don't regret it. Horrible reliability and nothing that great. All psychological, you pay for the badge. Have an 14 accord now and love it way more. Picking up a fit soon too

Old 06-21-2014, 12:51 PM
It's hard to argue that the fit drives nicer than an e90 BMW; it was 3x the price of a fit new and it shows all around. My buddy had one. My e46 was 4k and it really drives nice. I don't think you can drive them back to back and argue that point.

Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Carmac
It's hard to argue that the fit drives nicer....don't think you can drive them back to back and argue that point.
Very true. My #1 & #2 sons both have E92 M3's with #3 an E46 M3. Hard to beat the solidness, speed, handling of those machines.

What I won't live without is the MPG my GD gives me. What I can live without is the massive depreciation (even with the M3) relative to the absolute $ amounts that disappears after 5 yrs. In these two areas, BMW can't match!!!

An earlier post said it perfectly - gotta compare apples to apples. Bmr's are oranges.