3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Question about Rear Center Seat Belt

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Question about Rear Center Seat Belt

I used the rear center seat belt and noticed something weird. The rear center and drivers side seat belt buckles are installed next to each other. On mine the center one is installed closer to the drivers side and the drivers side one is installed closer to the center. I checked where they are physically bolted under the seat and they are in that order. Is this normal, are your Fits like that?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Mine too

Mine too. I think this will be a recall. I've just got mine an EX-L. Same thing looks like the assembly was made wrong. Calling dealer on monday.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by dschiri1
Mine too. I think this will be a recall. I've just got mine an EX-L. Same thing looks like the assembly was made wrong. Calling dealer on monday.
I'm going to call too, can't think of a logical reason why it would be this way.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 PM
Honda totaly screwed up

Went to the dealer this morning. The dealer said Honda corp told them to rotate bracket 180 degrees. The bracket assembly is not symmetrical. When they did the rotation. The buckles moved 1.25" out of position to the left and changed the buckles from forward to reverse facing. Now belts rub against sides of hole and top of bolt head when seat is down. Not very safe. Even dealer admitted repair not correct. Told dealer to put back in original orientation. All the fits on the dealers lot have the same problem. I filed a complaint with NHTSA.gov. below is link to form. I recommend everyone that has this problem fill out the form. It seems Honda doesn't want to do the right thing and admit a mistake.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Last edited by dschiri1; 06-25-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Oh oh what is happening to Honda's safety/reliability???

I have to say I'm a tad worried now

Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Can someone post pictures so those of us what are 2015 Fit-less can see?

Old 06-24-2014, 03:42 PM
I am trying to post a picture but keeps kicking it out.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 PM
Went to the dealer this morning. The dealer said Honda corp told them to rotate bracket 180 degrees. The bracket assembly is not symmetrical. When they did the rotation. The buckles moved 1.25" out of position to the left and changed the buckles from forward to reverse facing. now belts rub against sides of hole. Not very safe. Even dealer admitted repair not correct. Told dealer to put back in original orientation. All the fits on the dealers lot have the same problem. I filed a complaint with NHTSA.gov. below is link to form. I recommend everyone that has this problem fill out the form. It seems Honda doesn't want to do the right thing and admit a mistake.

Ugh, that is not a good solution. I already have an appointment on Thursday for an unrelated issue so I will show them and see what they say. I will also report the issue to Honda. How in the world could someone install these one after another and not realize that the center buckle should be in the center of the seat, not on the outside?

Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM
its even worse

Its even worse, imprinted in one of the buckles is the word "CENTER". Just looking at it you know its wrong.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:42 AM
Here is a pic of mine they are attached to a fixed bracket on the chassis by belt material, they appear to be installed right, are some of you guys buckles mounted rigid without the belt material?
my last four vin is 1832

Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Look close at the buckles I see the buckle with the word CENTER imprinted on the right side buckle. This is closest to the door. (Am I looking at it correctly?) It needs to be on the left toward the center seat. You will have to cross the belts in order to latch them. Did you try to buckle them? The center buckle latch and outside buckle latch are not the same and can not be reversed. I had to cross them in my car in order for them to click and stay. I looked at all 2015 FITS at my dealers lot when I took mine in for service. They are all this way. My last four is VIN 3256 . By the way how did you post picture? I have a good picture that shows the problem but it keeps rejecting the picture. I don't know why.

Last edited by dschiri1; 06-25-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Look close at the buckles I see the buckle with the word CENTER imprinted on the right side buckle. This is closest to the door. (Am I looking at it correctly?) It needs to be on the left toward the center seat. You will have to cross the belts in order to latch them. Did you try to buckle them? The center buckle latch and outside buckle latch are not the same and can not be reversed. I had to cross them in my car in order for them to click and stay. I looked at all 2015 FITS at my dealers lot when I took mine in for service. They are all this way. My last four is VIN 3256 . By the way how did you post picture? I have a good picture that shows the problem but it keeps rejecting the picture. I don't know why.
Yes SIR! You are exactly correct. Now that I look at it an try it they are backwards. I would have never known cause we seldom have anyone in the back seat. Wow, that is a major flub! LOL

Old 06-25-2014, 09:24 AM
By the way how did you post picture? I have a good picture that shows the problem but it keeps rejecting the picture. I don't know why.
I had to upload the picture to Photobucket on line and grab the link from there.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the info I'll try it.

Can you all please fill out a complaint form with the NHTSA if you purchased a 2015 FIT and have this problem. There needs to be a critical mass of complaints with NHTSA before Honda will deal with this defect. Ive already gone around and around with Honda and they are stone walling. Don't let the dealer reverse the bracket. Its not the correct fix. They will tell you its the only fix authorized by Honda corp. Tell the dealer its not safe and do not allow the dealer to do it.

Honda doesn't want a admit a problem on probably there most important car release this year. Its sad. This is the same attitude that GM had with the ignition switch recall. "Lets try to sweep it under the rug"

Old 06-25-2014, 10:23 AM
[IMG]https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/[/IMG]

This show it more clearly

Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 AM

This picture show the belt bracket assembly as it comes from the factory. See that the bracket is not symmetrical. Notice that the cutouts at the bottom of the picture where the belts and buckle pass through the seats are aligned with the bracket. When the dealer rotates the bracket 180 degrees the right belt (as shown) and buckle no longer is facing forward but now facing the rear and the two cut outs where the buckles and belts pass through will not line up but will be 1.25 inches off. Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Last edited by dschiri1; 06-25-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:33 AM

final pic of belts crossed.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info I'll try it.

Can you all please fill out a complaint form with the NHTSA if you purchased a 2015 FIT and have this problem. There needs to be a critical mass of complaints with NHTSA before Honda will deal with this defect. Ive already gone around and around with Honda and they are stone walling. Don't let the dealer reverse the bracket. Its not the correct fix. They will tell you its the only fix authorized by Honda corp. Tell the dealer its not safe and do not allow the dealer to do it.

Honda doesn't want a admit a problem on probably there most important car release this year. Its sad. This is the same attitude that GM had with the ignition switch recall. "Lets try to sweep it under the rug"

Complaint filed!
Perhaps this thread could be made a Sticky so everyone can see and file.

Last edited by tmfit; 06-25-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:43 AM
5 Year Member
I submitted a complaint but its incredibly annoying that I cant SEE any complaints due to 2015 Honda not being on their website yet. :/

Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Went to the dealer this morning. The dealer said Honda corp told them to rotate bracket 180 degrees. The bracket assembly is not symmetrical. When they did the rotation. The buckles moved 1.25" out of position to the left and changed the buckles from forward to reverse facing. Now belts rub against sides of hole and top of bolt head when seat is down. Not very safe. Even dealer admitted repair not correct. Told dealer to put back in original orientation. All the fits on the dealers lot have the same problem. I filed a complaint with NHTSA.gov. below is link to form. I recommend everyone that has this problem fill out the form. It seems Honda doesn't want to do the right thing and admit a mistake.

My father in law works on the same kind of manufacturing issues for a farm equipment manufacturer. Rest assured, Honda knows about this and has a fix in the pipeline. Literally the first complaints like this of a manufacturing defect from a dealer wouldnt take very long at all to reach the kind of people who assess it, come up with a fix, send it to engineering, engineering designs something, they test, then dispatch a fix to machines out already while also providing a fix to the assembly lines. This process is very likely already under way; you have to understand you cant just stop production over a minor issue like this that is very easy to correct. Dont think barging in the dealer and demanding a fix will make honda stop everything and produce your one part and overnight it to you.

Quick Reply: Question about Rear Center Seat Belt