3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

DIY Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:01 PM
DIY Maintenance

I'm wondering if maintenance will be the same as it is with older models.

My recent ride is a 98, and I'm able to do most of the maintenance myself (oil change and other fluids). This allows me to save time and money.

With new car models, will DIY maintenance be just as easy? are the components different? etc. I have no auto-mechanical training, but I know basic stuff and the basic parts under the hood. I'm worried that the new direct injection engine will have an affect on DIY maintenance, as well as any other new parts that may have evolved since my "time" (1998).

I'm a miser, and I like to do all my maintenance myself lol... the same goes for replacing broken parts like headlights, bumpers, installing new bodykits, etc. With older cars, I can easily purchase new parts for cheap (from scrapyards or amazon) and figure out how to replace them (simple nuts and bolts, screwing, etc)... but with newer models, I'm afraid I'll have to go to the dealer for 2015 parts, or will even have to allow the dealer to do the labour themselves, costing me unnecessary $$$.

This is what's keeping me from buying more recent models. I feel safer (in the sense that I know how they work) with used cars from before the year 2000.

When the 2015 Fit comes out in Canada, I'll likely finance it, but I probably will want to know how to maintain the vehicle on my own, and learn about it's new unique mechanical components under the hood.

Does the owner's manual cover all these things?

Last edited by cmchan; 06-24-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
I had the same reservations when I bought my 2012, but turns out I had to do more changes than I ever did to my old rides. Spring on gas pedal to give it the feel of old cars, lifted front of seat to improve angle of leg, Took front end apart with 4 screws and 6 plastic grommets when I installed tow bar, Found trailer hitch made with predrilled holes that match chassis. Changed oil and filter easier than old cars, still hard to believe 10k between changes, rotating tires less bolts holding wheel on None required the manual but it does show when to do and where to find jack points.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by cmchan
..........................I'm a miser, and I like to do all my maintenance myself........Does the owner's manual cover all these things?
Miser??? Well that makes two of us. The only difference is I most probably am decades your senior. That said, have done all my maintenance (for fluids and brakes) for the last 2 decades, including my wife's current Lexus RX and my previous '07 FJ. Those two vehicles have been to the dealership only because I got freebee oil changes when new.

My current GD, likewise, has never been to the dealership except for one service recall. Upps, the FJ went back once for a tire mounting recall.

I would think that servicing the GK would be similar. It uses the same oil filter as the GE (so its readily available and cheap). The difference will be the neccesity to remove the under body panels. You must have jack stands to make this a safe adventure. Other than that, I would expect it to be simple and relative fast.

You should be seeing them by August so am hoping you bite the bullet and drive happily down the road. Good luck!!!

BTW, there is a thread here where you can download the owner's manual and no, they don't tell you how to do fluid maintenance. They want you to go to your dealership instead!!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 06-24-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
There is no requirement to go to the dealer; but on the other hand you cannot expect cars to be so simple that nothing at all has changed in 20years and you can maintain a car without doing any reading up on how it should be done.

Forums like this will post DIYs on how to do things, and most of the basic maintenance tasks will be standard and not complicated. But if you want to do a job properly, you need to put in some effort (and some money) to refer to a service manual as a more authoritative source.

There are 3rd party sources which publish this material; but Honda and Toyota also make it openly available that anybody can buy not just dealers.
All of these sources (both OEM and 3rd party) provide online access to all their tech data for shadetree mechanics for reasonable prices ($10-$20 for short term access).

If you are diligent and a super miser, you can sign up for a short term, and print/save all the data to your computer.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by raytseng
.....cannot expect cars to be so simple that nothing at all has changed in 20years and you can maintain a car without doing any reading up on how it should be done.......
Must disagree with you slightly For regular fluid maintenance it still remains simple, however a bit more complicated, given the various access points (e.g. underbody shieldings, etc....).

However, when one tries to service, mechanicals, electrics, suspension, A/C, etc..., referencing a service manual, as you suggest, is the wiser thing to do.

My background in the past has me certified for certain MB models. Have been schooled on the older models, specifically, W115, W116, W123 & W126. These vehicles are 3 decades past and fluid maintenance with newer vehicles has not changed significantly. The only thing I wouldn't venture on are the CVT's.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM
If you've been able to do your own maintenance before, this car is no different. As others have said, there may be some more pieces that need to be removed to gain access to the desired area, but typically they're either plastic clips or screws/bolts, so nothing that is terribly difficult to remove, just more time consuming.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Awesome.

I would have thought the engineers would make things convenient and place the oil filter somewhere easy to access without having to remove other parts first.

I hope current owners of the 2015 fit can post some youtube videos pertaining to this subject.

Is there a free download link to the service manual?

I was even considering going the long route and go to trade school and study auto mechanics. I think the government pays for these things, if I'm not mistaken. And then, apply for a job at a honda dealership and receive training for the 2015 Fit haha.

When it comes to the CVT, is transmission fluid maintenance the same?

Old 06-25-2014, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
I'll throw in my last 2 cents, while things like an oil change may still be "standard" it's still worth rechecking the instructions rather then blindly assuming.

On toyotas for example they've all moved to cartridge filters. Pretty much all cars have maintenance minders that have a reset procedure as well.

Even if the procedure is the same; there is old school misinformation that should be wiped clean such as changing your oil every 3k miles, or synthetic oil, or put in 10w-30 cause that's what worked 20years ago.

This is misinformation that stays alive because people are overly stubborn and refuse to take the time or effort to update their knowledge.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I am curious about the CVT fluid. Can we change it, does it have a filter? Recommended inteval? Hope its not a huge PITA to change the oil. A few bolts and a plastic shield wouldnt be to bad especially considering you shouldnt need to do it more than twice a year.

With good oil and filter there is no reason you can't go 10k.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 AM
I would have thought the engineers would make things convenient and place the oil filter somewhere easy to access without having to remove other parts first.
i remember in high school to change the spark plugs on a chevy astro van we had to remove the drivers wheel and inner fender. then with a couple of extensions and a swivel you could get to the spark plugs.

anyways just removing a couple of plastic panels is pretty simple. the panels under the car protect the engine from dirt, improve mileage a bit and reduce noise.

if you have a decent set of ramps it's pretty simple for general maintenance. i don't usually use stands unless i have to take the wheels off.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:23 AM
Originally Posted by raytseng
I'll throw in my last 2 cents, while things like an oil change may still be "standard" it's still worth rechecking the instructions rather then blindly assuming.

On toyotas for example they've all moved to cartridge filters. Pretty much all cars have maintenance minders that have a reset procedure as well.

Even if the procedure is the same; there is old school misinformation that should be wiped clean such as changing your oil every 3k miles, or synthetic oil, or put in 10w-30 cause that's what worked 20years ago.

This is misinformation that stays alive because people are overly stubborn and refuse to take the time or effort to update their knowledge.
Wait... how often should we change the oil, then? I've always been scolded by my car-enthusiast friends for changing the oil only when the dip stick indicates low lol. They always tell me to change it every 3-5k miles. What does the manual for the 2015 say?

Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 AM
Wait... how often should we change the oil, then? I've always been scolded by my car-enthusiast friends for changing the oil only when the dip stick indicates low lol. They always tell me to change it every 3-5k miles. What does the manual for the 2015 say?
LOL, you don't have to change the oil when it's low on the dip stick. All that indicates is that oil is burning off, not that it needs replaced. I'm not certain of the new Fit, but they should have a maintenance minder to tell you when to change the oil. Even if they don't, you should have no problem with 5,000-7,500 mile OCI (oil change intervals).

Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Brought mine in to Honda after 6 months and they told me to go home because I did not have enough miles on the OD. The minder will tell you when to bring it in for the oil change and that could be within a few short months all the way up to about 1 year, the way I drive. Never go by the dip stick method. That is just plain dumb..

Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Mechanics who say or put the sticker in your window that you next service is 3000 miles away are just ensuring they have repeat business. I never change my oil unless the minder tells me to or something has happened to prompt me too. I figure if the manufacture puts it in the software that my driving style may get me 8000 miles out of an oil change why would I worry! Oil is so much more advanced today compared to 20-30 years ago.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:38 AM
I don't even know if the minder in my 98 car works lol. I've never seen it go on before.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:48 AM
I don't even know if the minder in my 98 car works lol. I've never seen it go on before.
LOL, see how much money you're saving!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
The MM tells me to change the oil about every 6k to 7k miles.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 AM
cvt oil on new corolla 120,00 miles....... 15 forte 100,000 not sure that's going to be a issue.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:22 PM
My friend is currently leasing a 2014 civic, and he told me that he only changes his oil whenever the dealership calls him to do so, which is not very often... like once or twice a season... basically whenever he gets his tires changed.

Does that sound right to you? Do newer car models require less frequent oil changes due to new technology or something?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
I looked at the engine compartment carefully yesterday and noticed that a lot of components are MUCH HARDER to get to than on GE8 (except for spark plugs).

Radiator is going to be a PITA to remove (it's under what seems like a permanent metal panel and may need to be removed from the bottom).

Thermostat is much lower and has no room around it. Started is also behind some part that may be difficulty to remove (has either wires or tubes going around it).
The alternator is lower and also buried behind accessories.
I took pictures of what I am talking about if anyone is interested.

Quick Reply: DIY Maintenance