3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Expanded Drivers side view mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Expanded Drivers side view mirror question

Referring to the very small left side of the left mirror. Expanded Drivers side view mirror is about a useless as I can imagine in my opinion, and though I have been trying my best to use it, I cannot, and see nothing beneficial. It's difficult to use. Its so small of an area, I see nothing. How about anyone else on this forum ?

Old 06-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
It's difficult to use. Its so small of an area, I see nothing. How about anyone else on this forum ?
Don't own the car yet, but on the test drive it was really wonky to look at. Hope I get used to it.

Also, check this thread from exl500! https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ant-100-a.html

Old 06-26-2014, 06:55 PM
Referring to the very small left side of the left mirror. Expanded Drivers side view mirror is about a useless as I can imagine in my opinion, and though I have been trying my best to use it, I cannot, and see nothing beneficial. It's difficult to use. Its so small of an area, I see nothing. How about anyone else on this forum ?
Nope, I completely ignore it.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Why is there no camera for the driver's side mirror?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by cmchan
The traditional blind spot is on the passenger side, it is easy to turn your head and see if a car is on your left.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by cmchan
Probably because they don't want to create a situation where you are looking to your right at the camera the to your left.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
It has been rather useless to me as well. At first I thought the mirror was broken and I was looking at a distorted/cracked spot. Then I figured out that this was meant to be this way, but my eyes can never focus well or make out what I'm supposed to be seeing. Instead, it just becomes a distraction.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:12 PM
Instead of using that extra space for expanded view, they should have installed a small display there, which utilized a camera on the bottom, kind of like the mirror on right utilizing the 7 inch display inside the car.

Last edited by MyFit15; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM
Never going to use it, so I hope Honda gets other feed back which might/might not get this changed for next model year. And I hope they get their act together and provide some different interior colors as well. If the Ford company can do this with their Fiesta's, so can Honda. Really dislike all black...

Old 06-27-2014, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
I have not yet driven the new Fit, but I suspect that the distortion built into the driver"s side view mirror is there because so many people do not know how to set their side view mirrors and as a result create their own blind spot just behind them and too the left.

Many people set a driver's side view mirror to show the side of their car when they glance at it from their normal driving position. This is wrong and will creat a blind spot just behind your peripheral field of view to the left. As Long as you move your mirror out a bit, so that the side of your car is not visible with your head in its normal driving position, then you typically cover this blind spot. But the distortion in the new fit mirror is suppose to cover it even if you do not know how to properly set up your side view mirrors. And the camera view on the right side is there for the same purpose. Except that the blind spot on the left can be a little trickier to cover with your mirrors alone and is best covered by using both the mirror and a turn of your head. I am curious how effective people find the blind spot camera view?

Old 06-27-2014, 03:59 PM
One of the first thing I was told during a class I took from AARP and I made sure the mirror was not showing the driver side of the Fit. Still a big issue, and not something I would ever use.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
If there something moving in that little mirror, I know something is there. That's when I turn my head to check.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:08 PM
5 Year Member
One of the first thing I was told during a class I took from AARP and I made sure the mirror was not showing the driver side of the Fit. Still a big issue, and not something I would ever use.
That is exactly correct, your side view mirrors should be adjusted to NOT show the side of the car. Unfortunately, most people set them up to show the side of the car and in doing so create their own blind spot.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:59 PM
I can't tell the difference between the normal part of the mirror and the expanded view part. As far as the blind spot camera goes, I like it more than I expected to but by no means rely on it. Maybe I will someday like I mostly trust the backup camera.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:34 PM
I agree that the extension is too small to be effective and seems difficult to get used to. I prefer the active lane warning systems that the mazda3 and some others have.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by gunm
I agree that the extension is too small to be effective and seems difficult to get used to. I prefer the active lane warning systems that the mazda3 and some others have.
X2. Almost creates more of a distraction

Old 06-30-2014, 06:38 PM
The only use I have found for that extension mirror is to cause me to have a minor panic attack when I was at a stoplight in the center lane, and the cars in the left lane were passing me to turn left on an "arrow only"....the distortion makes it look as if they are swerving towards my car. Scared me to death on day 2 of ownership!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:12 PM
I'm not a fan of the expanded view driver's side mirror. I find it more of a distraction. I recall that someone likened it to a funhouse mirror, and I get that effect out of it. It sometimes makes it look like a car is right next to me when it isn't, and freaks me out.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm hoping that honda gets some feedback on this, and a way to get this replaced with normal view mirrors. Really a distraction for me.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I thought the mirrors on the GE8 were just about perfect, so any change was not welcome. For what? "Style"? Possibly aerodynamics. While there might be some benefit, is it enough to make up for the possible compromise in visibility?

Teh "fun house" part may partially compensate for this. Ford's Fiesta also incorporates blind-spot mirrors, and to my eyes, they look efficient at this. Then again, the Fiesta needs all the help it can get in this area. As do most modern cars. Let us now mourn the loss of large windows, low belt lines and narrow C/D pillars!

Quick Reply: Expanded Drivers side view mirror question