3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Navi yes? or Navi no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by amy_wilhelmina
Really? My bad. So how does it work, the you buy for Honda Link both charges and puts the image on the screen? The dealer told me it does not charge the phone. But they have told me wrong on a few things.
This is the adapter for the iphone:

If you just plug in the HDMI cable to the adapter, you will be able to use hondalink, but it won't charge. In order to charge, you run a lightning cable from the USB port right next to the HDMI port to the female lightning port on the AV adapter. This will allow charging while the hondalink is running.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Try this one more time I hope...

Hondalink Nav app is from >>Nokia and is called "HERE", and either the dealer can download it for you or you can go to iTunes to do it. A little cost to the customer. There is no google maps or any third party apps at this time for the 2015 Fit and only the iPhone 5/5C and 5S can be used. Android will come later. Hope this helps. If not, do a google search for HondaLink system and what maps can be used......

http://www.appradioworld.com/2013/12...nectivity.html

"Ok. After reading through the press release, watching the video below and reading the initial feedback from a few comments made by consumers, there are plenty of things that need to be mentioned.

1. Compatibility: HondaLink will only be compatible with the iPhone 5, 5S and 5C to start with. No Android compatibility at the moment. Honda does mention that they're working on integrating MirrorLink compatibility soon. Also, next generation MirrorLink connectivity is required to work with HondaLink which is not available in any of the current Android smartphones.

2. Navigation: The navigation app has to be purchased for $60. Also, the maps are provided by Nokia, not Google or Apple maps which come stock on smartphones these days.

There is no in-built navigation anymore which means if you're in a place with no cell phone reception you are lost. Granted, if you have already mapped your route to your final destination the navigation system will take you there even if you lose signal along the way. But, if you are in a place with no cell phone reception and want directions, good luck!

No such issues arise with in-built navigation systems which work like GPS devices and are very reliable in most areas.

3. Third-party apps: With the Launcher app, you will be able to run "Honda-approved" third-party apps on your Display Audio touchscreen. It was mentioned during the announcement that Honda is working with a couple of premium app partners to bring more apps to Launcher. There are no plans currently to make this project open-source, where app developers would be able to submit apps for approval to Honda. Much like how Pioneer does it these days.

4. Backwards Compatibility: It is still unclear if older Honda car models will get firmware updates to include these new features. Customers seem to be interested in getting these updates but there's no official word from Honda yet.

Last edited by SR45; 07-02-2014 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
I am absolutely in favor of navi. I have it in my 2012. I'm a bit confused though. The ex-l with navi will have built in navigation with traffic right? I prefer that to third party gadgets and phones. Every time I'm riding with someone who's fumbling with hooking up Garmin or dicking around with phones for navigation I have to laugh. I just put in the address in my fit navigation and off I go. Never had a problem yet getting from point a to b, even without traffic. Haven't updated it yet and all has been well anyway. And I find it recalculates faster than anything I've tried in my phone, be it HERE or wayz, etc. It's really fast to recalculate in fact, never taking more than 5 seconds. I'm a gigging musician and I have many locations saved. Love the built in navi. Keep Garmin and phones for navigation, imo. Too much fumbling with wires and charging and mounting, or having them dumping around the storage areas. And with Garmin, you have to take it in and out of the car. No thanks.

Last edited by Shockwave199; 07-02-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
I am absolutely in favor of navi. I have it in my 2012. I'm a bit confused though. The ex-l with navi will have built in navigation with traffic right?.
It has built in navigation, not sure if it has traffic or not. There's a separate manual for the built in navigation and I haven't read it, just the regular owners manual. I have the navi in my 09, but I hardly use it. Maybe it's just because I still haven't purchased an upgrade disc, but I much prefer google maps routes and use that on my phone instead most of the time.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
I have the built in nav. It does include traffic and incidents like construction and accidents.

Also consider that the 2015 with nav adds XM radio and HD radio.

Personally, I think its worth it, but to each his own.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:56 AM
On my last car I didn't get navigation, opting insetad for a mid-range Garmin, mounted permanently and hardwired to the accessory circuit.

I get the best navigation engine, a solid GPS receiver, no phone overheating issues, and the ability to push buttons any time I want without nanny lockouts demanding that I stop the car before I or my passenger can work with the navigation. If it becomes obsolete I can either update it or toss it for another unit.

Considering the cost of the built-in nav, it's a no-brainer!

Old 07-03-2014, 08:26 AM
Garmin 3597LMTHD with lifetime maps, traffic updates, Weather, and HD. Magnet that allows you to just hold unit to carrier, and wa-la, it grabs the unit without having to fiddle with it. Check demo on YouTube. Lifetime maps, unlike in-dash unit that makes one purchase the update for about $100 or so each time. $1,000 for an in-dash compared to my garmin at $320.00 (top of line) and that is a no brainer. Only downside is that I have to pull it off (Wow, real difficult ) and put in my pocket so it won't get stolen.

Garmin allows me to use Voice Command to enter addresses without that old robot spoken type entry we used to have, and I can use a normal spoken search/address entry command without start/stops or the touch screen. i.e.: "Voice command - Address, look up 1234 maple street, clearwater florida...and that is it. Very smooth and I'm impressed.

My old 2013 Honda Civic came with the in-dash GPS, and that is what I was hoping for, but I was disappointed with the Hondalink display and set up. So no thanks Honda.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
I came across this interesting video where they were able to display their iphone onto their EX's screen. Does anyone know if Google Maps will work doing it this way? I haven't received my car yet so i can't test it myself.

Fast Forward to 3:30 mark

Old 07-06-2014, 01:42 AM
I went with the EX-L w/Navi...only other choice was a LX and for me, it was only a $2k difference.

Old 07-06-2014, 08:35 AM
Navi no.

Originally Posted by gunm
I plan to use Hondalink with my smartphone. I'd rather just buy the hdmi cable and use google maps. IMO, no need to spend over $1K for built-in Navi.
I completely agree with gunm.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
I came across this interesting video where they were able to display their iphone onto their EX's screen. Does anyone know if Google Maps will work doing it this way? I haven't received my car yet so i can't test it myself.

Fast Forward to 3:30 mark
2015 HONDA FIT Display Audio / Hondalink DEMO explained - YouTube
Google maps will not work with HondaLink. Look at Post # 22 a little above

Old 07-06-2014, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TofuShop
Google Maps would work exactly like the video. You would select HDMI mode and then Google Maps will show up on the screen. Just like in the video though, when you take the vehicle off parking brake or out of park (can't remember which), you will lose all video on the screen. Google Maps will still tell you where to turn through the speakers, but you won't have visual reference on the screen. Since you won't have HDMI ported video while driving, you may as well just not even get the iPhone HDMI adapter because you can just plug your iPhone into the USB and still get the Google Maps audio coming through your speakers with just that. It'll even quiet the music playing off your iPhone to announce a turn coming up. I like how in the video she says there's a way to get HDMI video while driving but it would void your warranty. I'd do that in a heartbeat, I don't even care if it voided the warranty.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Google Maps would work exactly like the video. You would select HDMI mode and then Google Maps will show up on the screen. Just like in the video though, when you take the vehicle off parking brake or out of park (can't remember which), you will lose all video on the screen. Google Maps will still tell you where to turn through the speakers, but you won't have visual reference on the screen. Since you won't have HDMI ported video while driving, you may as well just not even get the iPhone HDMI adapter because you can just plug your iPhone into the USB and still get the Google Maps audio coming through your speakers with just that. It'll even quiet the music playing off your iPhone to announce a turn coming up. I like how in the video she says there's a way to get HDMI video while driving but it would void your warranty. I'd do that in a heartbeat, I don't even care if it voided the warranty.
Very interesting, thanks for the input

Old 07-06-2014, 01:20 PM
I would like someone to prove this that one can get google maps when Honda has said you cannot. Please post a youtube

Old 07-06-2014, 02:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
I would like someone to prove this that one can get google maps when Honda has said you cannot. Please post a youtube
The HDMI mirrors exactly what's on your screen, just like in that video he posted. Literally app you open on your iPhone will show up on the screen. The dealbreaker is that as soon as you take the vehicle out of park, the screen will no longer show whatever app is open.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 PM
The HDMI mirrors exactly what's on your screen, just like in that video he posted. Literally app you open on your iPhone will show up on the screen. The dealbreaker is that as soon as you take the vehicle out of park, the screen will no longer show whatever app is open.
Got it this time. Thanks. Guess we may have to hope and wait for Honda to accept an update so we can use google maps and others

Old 07-06-2014, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
Got it this time. Thanks. Guess we may have to hope and wait for Honda to accept an update so we can use google maps and others
That's what I hope too, but I doubt Honda will allow other navigation apps when they can just force people to buy theirs for $60. Even if you could just use the HDMI while driving, using google maps off the phone would still suck, because if you had to change destinations or something like that, you'd have to pick up the phone and type in the destination there. When HDMI mirroring is enabled, the Fit's touchscreen is basically unresponsive. If you go to 13:20 in this video, you'll see what I mean. The salesman is trying to play an iPhone game on the screen and keep trying to pinch and zoom on the Fit's screen and it doesn't work.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Thanks! Great info!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
We recently got a Civic with Nav. I agree that on it's face, it probably isn't worth the 1k+ premium to get it with the car. With that being said, I would probably get one again. I like the integration and my wife is more apt to use it rather than hook up a garmin unit. I say if you won't miss the money to go ahead and get it, but if money is somewhat tight just get a garmin.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Great video Sheep. Tells most everything one needs to know. Thank you

Quick Reply: Navi yes? or Navi no?