3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Navi yes? or Navi no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM
This is really disappointing...

I've been quite stoked about the new Fit, and was going to trade in my 2006 Civic Coupe and buy one. But, I see that you have to buy the Nav package to get XM radio. I thought that would be okay, because I would have a GPS right there in the car, not realizing that it wasn't an actual GPS, but really just an extension of an iPhone. I don't have anything made by Apple. My phone is a Blackberry.

No XM is a deal killer for me, so now I'm wondering if my dreams of a purple Fit are out the door.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by acter
I've been quite stoked about the new Fit, and was going to trade in my 2006 Civic Coupe and buy one. But, I see that you have to buy the Nav package to get XM radio. I thought that would be okay, because I would have a GPS right there in the car, not realizing that it wasn't an actual GPS, but really just an extension of an iPhone. I don't have anything made by Apple. My phone is a Blackberry.

No XM is a deal killer for me, so now I'm wondering if my dreams of a purple Fit are out the door.
The EX-L with Nav is truly GPS in the car. No phone or app is required. So if you you want XM and real GPS, this is the way to go for you.

The iPhone GPS option is for the EX and EX-L without Nav.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Nav...

Originally Posted by andre181
The EX-L with Nav is truly GPS in the car. No phone or app is required. So if you you want XM and real GPS, this is the way to go for you.

The iPhone GPS option is for the EX and EX-L without Nav.
Oh, thank you very much. It was sounding like it needed to be connected. I didn't realize you could get the Nav with other levels.

Okay.... getting happy about the idea of a Fit again.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Hey, acter! We would be twins if you get the Passion Berry Pearl EX-L w/navi!

Have you had a test drive yet? It is a true GPS, as pointed out by the others. I think part of the confusion is all of tech integration.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
I just use iPhone Googlemaps when i'm in town and GPS Copilot when i'm out in the boondocks with no data connection since the maps are stored locally like a regular GPS. I could use Copilot for everything but it's a little clunky IMO.

I just throw the phone in the cupholder. No mount, no fumbles. If I need to change locations on the fly I just do it at a stoplight. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Def not $1000 worth of drama.

Anyone remember Thomas Guides? When I moved to LA at 18 my dad threw one in the car and said good luck

Old 07-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Navi in the dash will soon be no longer be available as an option and will just go away. It will all come from the phone along with all the other info just plugged into a screen..just a swag...

Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
acter, with the EX and the EX-L, you can get navigation through the Hondalink navigation app, which is $60 through the Apple App Store. To use it, you also need Apple's HDMI to lightning cable adapter and an HDMI cable. This navigation app basically runs off your phone, so it uses your phone's GPS and data from your wireless plan to load the maps. If you upgrade to the EX-L with navi, you then get the built in navigation (no need to plug your phone in, it's all built into the vehicle), and you also get satellite and HD radio. Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:17 AM
xStitchx, no test drive. They haven't even been able to get one into the showroom because they are selling so fast. They have 10 more coming in this week, and 8 of them are already sold.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM
SheepNutz, thank you. That really is good to know. Now, if ONLY I could see the hood from the driver's seat.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
can anyone confirm if the HondaLink Nav app reads street names to you? and speaks commands through the speakers to you?

i'm reading the feedback for this app on the apple store and it's pretty bad. the last patch that came out was several months ago

Old 07-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Tested out the built in navi this weekend and seems to work great. Feel free to ask questions that owners can answer for you to help your decisions! Opinions from people who haven't touched the Navi (2015 Fit or 2014 Civic) are just opinions after all.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
This is the craziest thing I've heard of in a while. A smartphone is a standalone nav device. Why would anyone plug it in to the car to make it work, especially if by "work" you mean "cripple it, and don't let it charge while you're doing it."

And you get to pay extra for the feature, the app and the cable that lets you charge at the same time? It's a surprise to see something like this from Honda.

I use Waze. I can get to Google Maps quickly if I want to, and RadarNow is really handy. And I can charge while doing it.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:24 AM
Where did you find it???

Originally Posted by xStitchx
Hey, acter! We would be twins if you get the Passion Berry Pearl EX-L w/navi!

Have you had a test drive yet? It is a true GPS, as pointed out by the others. I think part of the confusion is all of tech integration.

I note that you live in my general area, so I am wondering where you FOUND one!! Please!!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by acter
I note that you live in my general area, so I am wondering where you FOUND one!! Please!!
When I started looking at the end of June, I found the PBP online at Herb Chambers in Westborough. I drove out there, only to find that they didn't actually have it, but they had an Alabaster Silver EX-L to test drive. So I did. They said they had the PBP EX-L w/Navi on the way and that they'd call me when it arrived. I did my test drive on 6/28 and they called me on 7/1 to let me know the car arrived. I took delivery on 7/2.

My thought is that I just got lucky. Plus, I just drove to a bunch of dealerships and looked, rather than call.

I'll keep my eye out for you, and if I find the twin I'll let you know! In the meantime, if you see me driving around, give a honk and wave! I've only seen one other '15 in the suburbs so far.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by xStitchx

I'll keep my eye out for you, and if I find the twin I'll let you know! In the meantime, if you see me driving around, give a honk and wave! I've only seen one other '15 in the suburbs so far.
Will do. Apparently, someone at my Quaker Meeting in Framingham has one, and I didn't even notice last week (I didn't leave for a while and it was gone when I did.)

Acter, off to figure out who has it.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:42 PM
I used the navi for the first time today, and boy was I glad that I did! Ran into a water main break in my route and had to detour. It guided me to my destination like a champ.

Also, if anyone else is wondering, it does give verbal commands even if you're listening to music. It doesn't stop the music, it just decreases the volume, gives the command, and then increases the volume.

When you make a right turn with the Navi screen up, it goes to split screen between the Navi map and the lane watch view. Pretty cool!

Old 07-16-2014, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
This is the craziest thing I've heard of in a while. A smartphone is a standalone nav device. Why would anyone plug it in to the car to make it work, especially if by "work" you mean "cripple it, and don't let it charge while you're doing it."

And you get to pay extra for the feature, the app and the cable that lets you charge at the same time? It's a surprise to see something like this from Honda.

I use Waze. I can get to Google Maps quickly if I want to, and RadarNow is really handy. And I can charge while doing it.
Why would someone want to plug it in? I dunno, maybe because the in-dash screen is 7", therefore bigger than the phone, making it easier to see?

I don't think it's a sub, so it's a one-time cost for the app and the connection parts. The price of such can easily be accepted by folks that don't feel like looking into the smaller screen of a phone.

And there's a difference between making it work on the phone, verses what is actually happening... that is, TRANSFERRING it to an external screen.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Google Maps would work exactly like the video. You would select HDMI mode and then Google Maps will show up on the screen. Just like in the video though, when you take the vehicle off parking brake or out of park (can't remember which), you will lose all video on the screen. Google Maps will still tell you where to turn through the speakers, but you won't have visual reference on the screen. Since you won't have HDMI ported video while driving, you may as well just not even get the iPhone HDMI adapter because you can just plug your iPhone into the USB and still get the Google Maps audio coming through your speakers with just that. It'll even quiet the music playing off your iPhone to announce a turn coming up. I like how in the video she says there's a way to get HDMI video while driving but it would void your warranty. I'd do that in a heartbeat, I don't even care if it voided the warranty.
With your 2009 Honda fit, is a the warranty even an issue? As for those who have the 2015, a complete redesign, in it's first year and built in Mexico of all places, a warranty can be a wonderful thing....

Old 07-17-2014, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Originally Posted by SheepNutz
Google Maps would work exactly like the video. You would select HDMI mode and then Google Maps will show up on the screen. Just like in the video though, when you take the vehicle off parking brake or out of park (can't remember which), you will lose all video on the screen. Google Maps will still tell you where to turn through the speakers, but you won't have visual reference on the screen. Since you won't have HDMI ported video while driving, you may as well just not even get the iPhone HDMI adapter because you can just plug your iPhone into the USB and still get the Google Maps audio coming through your speakers with just that. It'll even quiet the music playing off your iPhone to announce a turn coming up. I like how in the video she says there's a way to get HDMI video while driving but it would void your warranty. I'd do that in a heartbeat, I don't even care if it voided the warranty.
With your 2009 Honda fit, is a the warranty even an issue? As for those who have the 2015, a complete redesign, in it's first year and built in Mexico of all places, a warranty can be a wonderful thing....
I wonder if the "hack" is similar to the bypass I did for my Kenwood Navi unit... basically, I just permanently grounded out the wire that was supposed to run to my hand brake "sensor" (it's not a sensor, just a circuit that grounds out/completes when you pull the handle up).

Old 07-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie

You're not plugging the phone in to make the phone work. You're plugging the phone in so the car uses the phone's apps. The system just mirrors what's on the phone. It's very much like AirPlay or Chromecast in that way. This is very similar to how CarPlay and Android Auto will work a year from now. This is the direction every nav system is heading. Also, it should charge the phone when it's plugged in as it is connected (or can be) to both HDMI and USB at the same time.

If done properly (or later hacked in a certain way) the system would allow you to use Waze or Google Maps and even RadarNow through your phone but display it on the in-car dashboard screen with the audio pushed to your car's speakers. You would also then be able to use the car's buttons to control your device.

But right now Honda has it locked down to only work with their apps while the car is in drive. And their Navigation app costs $60.

I've already plugged my Android phone into the dash using a SlimPort cable with USB (that cost me $10 off Amazon) and had the car display my phone on screen and charge the phone at the same time. It read the directions from Google Maps and played Google Play Music over the car's speakers. I even had Netflix working. But once you put the car in motion the display no longer works for HDMI. Audio works fine, but you will not see anything on the car's screen.

Quick Reply: Navi yes? or Navi no?