3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Optimal Tire Inflation Psi

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Optimal Tire Inflation Psi

I am still riding on stock tires and wheels. I will keep the stock wheels but will likely replace the tires at some point when they need it.

Right now the tires are still inflated to door jamb numbers. 32/33 I think.

Has anyone experimented with different inflation numbers on their Fit? I expect you could pump more air in and get better mileage and likely better tire life. Too much and the tires only wear in the middle and the ride suffers.

Is there a better psi to run?

Old 07-19-2014, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spaceballs
I am still riding on stock tires and wheels. I will keep the stock wheels but will likely replace the tires at some point when they need it.

Right now the tires are still inflated to door jamb numbers. 32/33 I think.

Has anyone experimented with different inflation numbers on their Fit? I expect you could pump more air in and get better mileage and likely better tire life. Too much and the tires only wear in the middle and the ride suffers.

Is there a better psi to run?
Tire Pressure to Run!

Old 07-19-2014, 06:05 PM
On other cars I have run the recommended pressures and kept track of tire wear across the width of the tread.

Invariably, the front tires wear on the edges more than the middle so I adjust the pressure upward., usually about 8 PSI higher than recommended. This seems to make the fronts wear evenly.

The rears don't wear much at all regardless of pressure.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:34 PM
I asked this in the preferred psi thread:
Do I recalibrate the TPMS or not? Is the TPMS just a floor at 25 psi that you don't want to drop below?

Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 PM
I don't know what you mean by 'recalibrate the TPMS' but the TPMS simply measures pressure and when it drops below a pre-set amount (I've heard 10% under recommended pressure, probably in the high twenties) then it triggers. If you run the tires up to 40 psi the TPMS doesn't care, it'll still alert you only when it drops below where they're set.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
I don't know what you mean by 'recalibrate the TPMS' but the TPMS simply measures pressure and when it drops below a pre-set amount (I've heard 10% under recommended pressure, probably in the high twenties) then it triggers. If you run the tires up to 40 psi the TPMS doesn't care, it'll still alert you only when it drops below where they're set.
Not correct. The tire pressure monitoring in the new fit is not measuring tire pressure at all, but rather the difference in rotational speed of each wheel relative to what it was when calibrated.

So in Answer to the original question, Yes, if you run higher tire pressures, you should re calibrate the TPMS.

I have found better fuel economy can be found with 40 psi+ pressures! but it also has a negative affect on the ride of the car.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 PM
From this page:
http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/inf...m-%28TPMS%29/3

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

An underinflated tire can impede handling and can be a safety hazard, so the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) uses pressure sensors mounted in each wheel that send readings to a central electronic control unit to help you stay prepared. The system evaluates whether the pressure is at an acceptable range. If a reading is approximately 25% below the recommended level, the Fit will alert you through a warning light on the instrument panel.

Last edited by Brain Champagne; 07-19-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:26 PM
And yet the owner's manual says:
Instead of directly measuring the pressure in each tire, the TPMS on this vehicle
monitors and compares the rolling radius and rotational characteristics of each
wheel and tire while you are driving to determine if one or more tires are
significantly under-inflated. This will cause the low tire pressure/TPMS indicator to
come on.

Sloppy that it contradicts...

Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM
"The 2015 Fit manual" shows how to recalibrate the TPMS. Little tricky, but one has to do it right each time one changes the tire pressure.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Sloppy that it contradicts...
That's why it says:

Originally Posted by Honda's Website
Content may not apply to all models. See Related Information or consult your owner's manual for specific information about your vehicle.
Frankly, I'm happy that the new Fit has sensorless TPMS. The prospect of having to deal with sensor at tire change time, "Gee, sir, we "accidentally" broke two of your sensors but new ones are only $100..." was really not attractive to me. As long as I can recalibrate the sensors whenever I want I am happy.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Yes, but that info was on the 2015 Fit page specifically. So I'm sticking with 'sloppy.'

Old 10-11-2018, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
On other cars I have run the recommended pressures and kept track of tire wear across the width of the tread.

Invariably, the front tires wear on the edges more than the middle so I adjust the pressure upward., usually about 8 PSI higher than recommended. This seems to make the fronts wear evenly.

The rears don't wear much at all regardless of pressure.
Thank you for the tip!I noticed, the tires are worn out at the edges on two different cars, and different brand tires. I never had "underinflated" tires. For me it means to comply the spec. But now I realize, there is something wrong. Tire manufacturer or car manufacturer is wrong?

Old 11-03-2018, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
Gen 3 Honda Fits have the passive TPMS system, so yes, you need to recalibrate anytime you rotate tires, change tires, or change PSI. It's really easy.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Gen 3 Honda Fits have the passive TPMS system, so yes, you need to recalibrate anytime you rotate tires, change tires, or change PSI. It's really ANNOYING
fixed.

10char

Old 11-07-2018, 09:08 PM
Unless I keep my Yokahamas at 40psi, my low pressure light comes on.. No adverse tire wear or hit to MPG

Old 11-08-2018, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
fixed.

10char
I wish I didn't have to do it.
But the recalibration process is really easy.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 AM
5 Year Member
Is there a holy grail? I got to find out. Opinions just don't do it for me.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by wasserball
Is there a holy grail? I got to find out. Opinions just don't do it for me.
I believe Indiana Jones found the holy Grail, but then it fell down a hole..

PSI is stamped on the side of the tire, that might be the tires opinion though 🙄😬

Old 11-15-2018, 07:09 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
unless you're taking about the donut where it says 'inflate to' the psi stamped on the sidewall is usually the max psi the tire can handle. its waaaay too high for a Fit.. well, im sure the hypermilers dont care and use it anyways.

there are just so many better ways to save money and be eco-friendy.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
unless you're taking about the donut where it says 'inflate to' the psi stamped on the sidewall is usually the max psi the tire can handle. its waaaay too high for a Fit.. well, im sure the hypermilers dont care and use it anyways.

there are just so many better ways to save money and be eco-friendy.
I was JK, my Yokohama tires have a psi rating stamped on them, says 36 psi.

Quick Reply: Optimal Tire Inflation Psi