3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
I believe my new fit has this problem too. I was driving out of town during sunset and these watermark makes driving a hazard. The problem is could I take it to any dealer? or do I have to take it to my dealer where I bought the car. I bought my car at a dealer like 1 hour away dont want to go that far out.

Old 08-19-2014, 03:41 PM
warranty coverage

Originally Posted by payluder
I believe my new fit has this problem too. I was driving out of town during sunset and these watermark makes driving a hazard. The problem is could I take it to any dealer? or do I have to take it to my dealer where I bought the car. I bought my car at a dealer like 1 hour away dont want to go that far out.

After being certain that you have thoroughly cleaned the glass, inside and outside of the car and the images are still there, you may have a factory defect. That is covered by Honda's factory warranty, which is honored at any of the USA Honda dealers. It has no bearing on which dealership you bought the car at. The warranty is from American Honda, not the individual dealership.

The dealer that you did buy the car from might be friendlier towards you, but the local dealer has a contractual obligation with Honda to honor Honda's warranty on all cars that appear at their service department.

I encourage you to play nice with the local dealer's service department. This can give you the chance to establish a positive relationship with them and become a future service customer. Hopefully their service department was not the reason for your not buying the car there. The local dealer may need to call in the factory rep, to inspect the car's windshield before giving them permission to replace the glass under warranty, but that doesn't mean it would not get accepted if legitimate. If replacement is approved, the dealer will need to order a piece of glass, so this could mean several trips to the dealership for you.

1-present car to dealer with problem.

2- return to dealer for factory rep inspection..... if approved dealer would order the glass.

3- return to dealer, after glass has arrived (and hopefully been inspected by dealer staff) to have windshield replaced.

Hopefully no more than 3 trips to the dealer, who is not an hour away.

You might be able to combine steps 1 and 2, if you called to the dealer service department, told them of the problem and found out if factory rep inspection was needed.... If so, ask when rep visits next and see if you can make that your first visit to the service department...

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cckid
After being certain that you have thoroughly cleaned the glass, inside and outside of the car and the images are still there, you may have a factory defect. That is covered by Honda's factory warranty, which is honored at any of the USA Honda dealers. It has no bearing on which dealership you bought the car at. The warranty is from American Honda, not the individual dealership.

The dealer that you did buy the car from might be friendlier towards you, but the local dealer has a contractual obligation with Honda to honor Honda's warranty on all cars that appear at their service department.

I encourage you to play nice with the local dealer's service department. This can give you the chance to establish a positive relationship with them and become a future service customer. Hopefully their service department was not the reason for your not buying the car there. The local dealer may need to call in the factory rep, to inspect the car's windshield before giving them permission to replace the glass under warranty, but that doesn't mean it would not get accepted if legitimate. If replacement is approved, the dealer will need to order a piece of glass, so this could mean several trips to the dealership for you.

1-present car to dealer with problem.

2- return to dealer for factory rep inspection..... if approved dealer would order the glass.

3- return to dealer, after glass has arrived (and hopefully been inspected by dealer staff) to have windshield replaced.

Hopefully no more than 3 trips to the dealer, who is not an hour away.

You might be able to combine steps 1 and 2, if you called to the dealer service department, told them of the problem and found out if factory rep inspection was needed.... If so, ask when rep visits next and see if you can make that your first visit to the service department...

Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Over the weekend I will detail my window to make sure that it isnt just dry hard water spots but I dont think its that. I already had my car washed at those high end car washes and few times at the dealer and I still see it.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM
My cousin has a 2014 SI and he has the same problem with the hard water looking spots. I tried to use glass cleaner and a razor blade but no luck. You can almost feel them like they are etched into it. He hasn't done anything about it but ill recommend he goes to Honda and see what they say

Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
just realized my LX fit has the same problem... will be calling the dealer tomorrow morning

Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by frogster
I've had my new Fit for about a week now, generally getting used to it and like it a lot. However I have a question about the windshield that perhaps someone can help with. I've read descriptions online of normal distortions and cross-car viewing angles, etc, but not sure that what I'm seeing is the same thing...

During regular daylight looking out from inside the car, the front windshield looks like it has tiny dried water spots covering the whole glass. I tried cleaning the inside, cleaning the outside, no change. It's especially noticeable when looking at something dark in front of the car. I wasn't too worried about it, figured it'd be just another thing to get used to in a new vehicle.

Then last night I was driving towards the setting sun at a certain angle and the little bubbles (or whatever it is) made such a harsh light out of the windshield, it almost looked like the glass was temporarily covered by something that had crystallized ~ it was quite startling and almost blinding until I could turn the car.

I figure it might be related to either the annealing process of the glass itself, or more likely the layer of whatever it is between the two pieces of glass. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow or Saturday so they can check it out, but just wondered if anyone else has had similar experience with any of their cars?

Thanks!
See this thread --> Winshield Issues This is not the first time this issue was reported on the Fit.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:06 AM
I also bought a 2015 Fit with spots on the windshield. It was raining when I took it home and I didn’t see the problem until that evening.
I returned to the dealer the following morning and a service manager looked at it and said they would order a new windshield and have it installed in a week. So this does seem to be an issue with some Fit’s.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
Out of curiosity, were you wearing sunglasses when you saw this? I bought a pair of sun glasses a couple years ago and could see a similar thing on all my side windows, took glasses off and they went away. I assume something about the polarazation glass. If not then, no i have not noticed it but will pay a little closer attention today.
Polarized sunglasses was my first guess, but I don't think that was the case here. My windshield doesn't have any spots or distortion.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Just wasted an hour at the dealership trying to explain to them that its the lamination in between the windshield glasses. They kept trying to scrub it off with some shit and tried to tell me it was coming off when clearly it wasn't. Kept telling me it was hard water marks...Well they took pictures and said they will send to honda. I doubt they will come through and repair it. What are my options for getting it fixed by honda if they refuse service?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 PM
BLXFFITTY you have my sympathy I was afraid that my dealer would behave the same as yours. But I was very lucky the service person looked at my windshield and although the damage (water spots and cloudiness) was not pronounced he said they would replace the windshield. Perhaps if you show this thread to your dealer it might show them that this is a known problem to Honda. And since Honda and not the dealer will pay for the repair it should help your case.

If that doesn’t work you can try other Honda dealers in your area. And if no one will replace the windshield you should write Honda. And finally if that fails you should pursue the matter in small claims court.

It would also help if others would post if they had the same problem. It doesn’t say much for Honda quality control……this is a problem that should have been caught before it was sold…….you have to wonder if they are banking of the fact that some people won’t complain.

Last edited by DMcFit; 08-25-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM
The service person for the dealership called and told me that the windshield they ordered was in stock. But before they could install it a Honda rep would have to look at my damaged windshield. So it remains to be seen what will be done. But regardless of what they decide I will replace the windshield and it won’t be for cosmetic reasons (although that is a consideration) it will be because it is dangerous to drive with the window the way it is. It is not just a case of isolated water spots; the whole windshield is affected with a hazy film and makes visibility very difficult at times. This situation should have been caught before the vehicle was sold.

Last edited by DMcFit; 08-28-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DMcFit
The service person for the dealership called and told me that the windshield they ordered was in stock. But before they could install it a Honda rep would have to look at my damaged windshield. So it remains to be seen what will be done. But regardless of what they decide I will replace the windshield and it won’t be for cosmetic reasons (although that is a consideration) it will be because it is dangerous to drive with the window the way it is. It is not just a case of isolated water spots; the whole windshield is affected with a hazy film and makes visibility very difficult at times. This situation should have been caught before the vehicle was sold.
In NY, I can get my windshield replaced at no cost if it has damage larger than about 2". I've had the mobile windshield guy come to the house a couple of times. No cost at all. If Honda says no, maybe you'll have damage to your windshield some day, and get it replaced for free.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Thanks for this topic. I will examine the windshield very closely when my new fit arrives. I would hate to have a fit over my new Fit!

Old 08-31-2014, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
Crap, I didn't think I had this problem but after having my car for over a month, I noticed like many lint marks on the windshield so I thought it was from the rag or wipes I use. After trying various cleaning methods, those spots won't remove.

Next week I'll call the dealer. You'd think in this day and age such issues for glass would be figured out. What a pain.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robot
Crap, I didn't think I had this problem but after having my car for over a month, I noticed like many lint marks on the windshield so I thought it was from the rag or wipes I use. After trying various cleaning methods, those spots won't remove.

Next week I'll call the dealer. You'd think in this day and age such issues for glass would be figured out. What a pain.
Turning sand into glass seems like witchcraft.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:32 PM
I wonder if this windshield problem was due to a bad batch of windshields and those cars had some degree of sequential build numbers that could be verified by comparing the last 5 digits of the VIN. My 2015 LX CVT is due soon and the last 5 of the VIN is 22335. Maybe the owners with the problem windshields could provide the last 5 VIN digits as a test.
I will look real close at the windshield when my car comes in.
Thanks for everyone's input here. Bill

Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DMcFit
The service person for the dealership called and told me that the windshield they ordered was in stock. But before they could install it a Honda rep would have to look at my damaged windshield. So it remains to be seen what will be done.
If you can manage to take a decent photo of the windshield, then the actual Honda rep may not have to see it in person - I just had my dealership confirm that it's on the inside, then they used the photo my brother took to convince the Rep so I didn't have to make a second trip at their convenience... However after the windshield was replaced, my service guy had to take several photos of the car including VIN for part of their paperwork, so make sure you let them snap pix before you leave with a clean windshield.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by frogster
If you can manage to take a decent photo of the windshield, then the actual Honda rep may not have to see it in person - I just had my dealership confirm that it's on the inside, then they used the photo my brother took to convince the Rep so I didn't have to make a second trip at their convenience... However after the windshield was replaced, my service guy had to take several photos of the car including VIN for part of their paperwork, so make sure you let them snap pix before you leave with a clean windshield.
I'll have to look carefully at mine, but I haven't noticed anything yet.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
i noticed an odd glare in the sun when i first picked up my fit. i assumed it was bad cleaning from delivery prep. i have not gotten a chance to look at it since.

if it needs a windshield, that will be the nail in the coffin for this thing...

Old 09-02-2014, 01:22 PM
5 Year Member
OK, it was at me that was at fault, not the glass. When the light hit right (from sun or light angles at night) I'd see a bunch of little dots. I'd run my windshield cleaner and wipers and they'd still be there. Rubbing inside the glass didn't change it. I'd clean the windshield with a spray cleaner when home and it would look clean of dots until the light hit right when I was driving. Now I use a flashlight on the shield when the car is in the garage.

Most paper towels have a film that leaves streaks and so do certain rags not put through the washer yet. I think my issue was the glass cleaner I was using and towel combination to wipe the windshield clean. When I rubbed the glass hard with just a rag and fresh water, then buffed it hard with another clean rag inside and out of the glass, just about all of those dots are gone.

From now on I'm only using water and certain types of rags on the glass. No more spray cleaners or paper towels.

Honda, I apologize. I was wrong. Sorry. The problem was me.

Quick Reply: Windshield question