3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Windshield question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Well thats just you.. my glass does have water marks and it does not come off inside or out.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BLXFITTY
Well thats just you.. my glass does have water marks and it does not come off inside or out.
Absolutely. I never doubted those that have a real glass problem. Hope you all get it worked out soon. Let us know what happens.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Well I just got the call back from Napleton River Oaks Honda saying that Honda is aware of the issue and I will have to wait for Honda to issue a recall of some sort. So until then I guess they just expect every one with the issue to just drive with watermarks in their windshield.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 PM
I guess a recall is somewhat good news. May be easier to get it fixed but think recall indicate many cars involved. Wonder if it will a certain sequence of VIN's which may involve a bad batch of windshields. Still waiting for my LX to come in. Know to check windshield very thoroughly.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by robot
OK, it was at me that was at fault, not the glass. When the light hit right (from sun or light angles at night) I'd see a bunch of little dots. I'd run my windshield cleaner and wipers and they'd still be there. Rubbing inside the glass didn't change it. I'd clean the windshield with a spray cleaner when home and it would look clean of dots until the light hit right when I was driving. Now I use a flashlight on the shield when the car is in the garage.

Most paper towels have a film that leaves streaks and so do certain rags not put through the washer yet. I think my issue was the glass cleaner I was using and towel combination to wipe the windshield clean. When I rubbed the glass hard with just a rag and fresh water, then buffed it hard with another clean rag inside and out of the glass, just about all of those dots are gone.

From now on I'm only using water and certain types of rags on the glass. No more spray cleaners or paper towels.

Honda, I apologize. I was wrong. Sorry. The problem was me.

Hi, Last year I started using glass cleaner products from Griot's Garage. Their microfiber cloths for glass are machine washable and work great. They have several glass care products that may help your problem and keep windshield in good shape. Just google them to see what they have.
Good Luck, Bill

Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 PM
vin is 15476.. just got a call from honda reps and they are going to talk to my dealer.. Such a pain. Probably will go back to buying used cars lol never knew new cars were such a pain

Old 09-05-2014, 09:38 PM
vin is 15476.. just got a call from honda reps and they are going to talk to my dealer.. Such a pain. Probably will go back to buying used cars lol never knew new cars were such a pain
Thanks for the VIN I wonder if the other owners with this windshield problem are close to your VIN number. I am picking my car up tomorrow VIN 22335 Bill

Old 09-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Well I just got the call back from Napleton River Oaks Honda saying that Honda is aware of the issue and I will have to wait for Honda to issue a recall of some sort. So until then I guess they just expect every one with the issue to just drive with watermarks in their windshield.

I had water spots and a hazy cloud on my windshield AND side view mirrors and to some degree on ALL the windows in my 2015 Honda Fit EX. The dealer ordered a new windshield but before it could be installed they said a Honda Rep would have to evaluate the problem. I left the car at the dealership on the Friday before Labor Day. I told the service rep at the dealer if the Honda rep did not give his approval to install the windshield to go ahead and install it and I would pay for it. I told the dealer service person if it was not done under warranty to put the removed damaged windshield in the cargo area of my car and I would use it as evidence when I sued to be compensated for my expense. At the time I assumed I would need to use small claims court but it’s likely the situation would be covered under a state lemon law. I was very polite and explained that the water spotted and hazy windshield was a safety hazard and not just a cosmetic issue.

Friday afternoon I received a phone call from the dealership service rep who told me he had good news for me. He said the Honda Rep got all the water spots off the windshield by scrubbing with smooth steel wool and a cleaning solution. I told the service person I was VERY skeptical that using steel wool was a solution. When I went to the dealership and inspected the windshield it was unquestionably much better. But not all the haze and spots were removed and there were new small scratches caused by the steel wool. But it does indicate that the damage is on the outside of the windows and not on the inside as some people have been told.

When I pointed out the scratches on the windshield to the dealership’s service rep he agreed that the windshield was not as it should be and without any prodding asked me to bring the car into the dealership on Tuesday after the holiday to have the windshield replaced with a new one under warranty.

When I bought the car in for the windshield replacement I pointed out some other damaged areas of the glass surface on the car. There were issues with the driver’s side mirror and to some degree most of the other windows (although not nearly as bad as the windshield).

The service rep readily agreed to replace the glass portion of the driver’s side mirror and to have their “glass people” assess all of the windows on the vehicle and try to remedy the problems. The car was at the dealership for two days, the first day the windshield was replaced but they kept it another day while waiting for the side mirror.

When I picked the car up the windshield and side mirror had been replaced and some other spots on the windows were corrected. The dealer told me the glass people had a way to remove the haze and spots (without using smooth steel wool).

I still think there may be issues with the rear window but overall I am satisfied. I am grateful that the dealership and or Honda in the end addressed my issues. I’ll never know if my stated intent to use small claims court, or the dealership’s and Honda’s integrity was the motivating spark that got results.

I am disappointed that some Fits are being sold with water spots and haze. Somewhere along the line the problem should be caught before a consumer buys a car with defective windows.

Old 09-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by DMcFit
I had water spots and a hazy cloud on my windshield AND side view mirrors and to some degree on ALL the windows in my 2015 Honda Fit EX. The dealer ordered a new windshield but before it could be installed they said a Honda Rep would have to evaluate the problem. I left the car at the dealership on the Friday before Labor Day. I told the service rep at the dealer if the Honda rep did not give his approval to install the windshield to go ahead and install it and I would pay for it. I told the dealer service person if it was not done under warranty to put the removed damaged windshield in the cargo area of my car and I would use it as evidence when I sued to be compensated for my expense. At the time I assumed I would need to use small claims court but it’s likely the situation would be covered under a state lemon law. I was very polite and explained that the water spotted and hazy windshield was a safety hazard and not just a cosmetic issue.

Friday afternoon I received a phone call from the dealership service rep who told me he had good news for me. He said the Honda Rep got all the water spots off the windshield by scrubbing with smooth steel wool and a cleaning solution. I told the service person I was VERY skeptical that using steel wool was a solution. When I went to the dealership and inspected the windshield it was unquestionably much better. But not all the haze and spots were removed and there were new small scratches caused by the steel wool. But it does indicate that the damage is on the outside of the windows and not on the inside as some people have been told.

When I pointed out the scratches on the windshield to the dealership’s service rep he agreed that the windshield was not as it should be and without any prodding asked me to bring the car into the dealership on Tuesday after the holiday to have the windshield replaced with a new one under warranty.

When I bought the car in for the windshield replacement I pointed out some other damaged areas of the glass surface on the car. There were issues with the driver’s side mirror and to some degree most of the other windows (although not nearly as bad as the windshield).

The service rep readily agreed to replace the glass portion of the driver’s side mirror and to have their “glass people” assess all of the windows on the vehicle and try to remedy the problems. The car was at the dealership for two days, the first day the windshield was replaced but they kept it another day while waiting for the side mirror.

When I picked the car up the windshield and side mirror had been replaced and some other spots on the windows were corrected. The dealer told me the glass people had a way to remove the haze and spots (without using smooth steel wool).

I still think there may be issues with the rear window but overall I am satisfied. I am grateful that the dealership and or Honda in the end addressed my issues. I’ll never know if my stated intent to use small claims court, or the dealership’s and Honda’s integrity was the motivating spark that got results.

I am disappointed that some Fits are being sold with water spots and haze. Somewhere along the line the problem should be caught before a consumer buys a car with defective windows.

Glad to hear they finally fixed your car.. now I have to wait for the call. They will probably dick me around before they replace it.. that's even if they replace it. If not I'll probably have to take your route with small claims court.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 PM
I have been reading this thread and just wanted to put my experience in on it. My mothers car is a Hyundai Elantra and it came with severe water spots on the windows as well. Looks just like picture that was posted. I was able to remove them by scrubbing windows multiple times with top notch glass cleaner. It is no doubt weather(rain) spots that should have been removed when dealer preps car before you taking it. They do sell powders, cerium oxide, that can be used to buff the window crystal clear with a buffer. Dealership to lazy to do it, I guess, and purchaser should not have to when buying a new car, very messy process.

My 2 Cents.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by colnago
Looks just like picture that was posted. I was able to remove them by scrubbing windows multiple times with top notch glass cleaner. It is no doubt weather(rain) spots that should have been removed when dealer preps car before you taking it. They do sell powders, cerium oxide, that can be used to buff the window crystal clear with a buffer. Dealership to lazy to do it, I guess, and purchaser should not have to when buying a new car, very messy process.

My 2 Cents.
When I first took the car in, the service dept of the Honda dealer did try several attempts of their own to clean/buff both inside and outside before determining that the spots were indeed between the layers, probably on the layer of plastic/rubber that helps make it safety glass. He agreed that no amount of further cleaning would be helpful and after the Honda Rep agreed, they replaced the windshield without any problem.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Just got a call from my service manager and he said they will replace my windshield! which is great! but now I'm worried about the factory seal on the windshield and how the repair will compare. Also I've found the same water marks on all my glasses.. I guess I will have to replace the windshield first.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Sigh looks like my worries were right lol. Windshield repair was shotty, seal leaking out the side of the windshield. side curtain airbag plastic on both sides were popped off. From the out side the side plastic pieces that is flushed against the windshield was stuck under the windshield. Hopefully it won't rain for a while... not sure how the windshield seals will hold.. Heres some pictures imgur: the simple image sharer
I will call them tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Last edited by BLXFITTY; 09-14-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 AM
wow this is unbelievable..windshield is leaking air after they repaired it..

Old 01-16-2015, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
Thanks for the VIN I wonder if the other owners with this windshield problem are close to your VIN number. I am picking my car up tomorrow VIN 22335 Bill
VIN 21860 - specs like sandblast marks and sometimes fibrous looking, not the water spot look like some reported.

Link to my thread, started after not finding this thread, pics included - https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...s-problem.html

Old 07-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Just realized mine has this issue too

Ugh, now it's all I can see. To top it off, I just moved out of state so can't take it to the dealer where I bought it. Damn.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
2 Semi-related questions...
1) I gave my '15 Fit a good wash this past weekend and noticed there are some significant vertical scratches on the rear window. You can only really see them right after you have cleaned the exterior or the window and if the light is shining on it the correct way, but they are consistent across the whole back window. Has anyone else had/seen this issue and do you think this is something that would warrant a replacement? If it does... should I be worried about about the quality of the factory seal being broken?
2) I also noticed post wash that I have a chip on the upper left corner of my front windshield. I'm not sure if this has been there since I picked it up from the dealer or if it's something that I have acquired over the last 6 months, but does anyone know if chips are covered under warranty at all or is getting this fixed an out of pocket expense?

Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by blinduvula
2 Semi-related questions...
1) I gave my '15 Fit a good wash this past weekend and noticed there are some significant vertical scratches on the rear window. You can only really see them right after you have cleaned the exterior or the window and if the light is shining on it the correct way, but they are consistent across the whole back window. Has anyone else had/seen this issue and do you think this is something that would warrant a replacement? If it does... should I be worried about about the quality of the factory seal being broken?
2) I also noticed post wash that I have a chip on the upper left corner of my front windshield. I'm not sure if this has been there since I picked it up from the dealer or if it's something that I have acquired over the last 6 months, but does anyone know if chips are covered under warranty at all or is getting this fixed an out of pocket expense?

Thanks!!
1) I haven't noticed these vertical lines, I'll have to take a closer look next time I wash it.
2) The only way a windshield chip will be covered under warranty is if you can prove it was there when you picked it up new from the dealer or it happened at the dealership during a service call or you can prove it is a manufacturer's defect. Unfortunately, all are unlikely scenarios, especially when you consider how frequently those chips can occur in normal driving.

Last edited by GoBucky; 07-14-2015 at 06:28 AM.