3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Fit (Not a Fan)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 AM
2015 Fit (Not a Fan)

Ok, let me start by saying that I am a new Fit owner. I have been watching them since Spoons Fit was showcased in a Best Motoring video. So I first fell in love with the GD. When the GE came out, I thought the styling was spot on. That being said I am not completely impressed with the styling of the GK. Maybe it will grow on me when the aftermarket catches up with it and maybe I am a little biased with my newest purchased of my 2012 Sport.

Do I stand alone in this post???

Please understand that this is not a thread to bash the GK and the owners of the GK. Its just not appealed to me.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
I agree. I don't really like the styling either but it is what is. The modded ones will look much better.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the GK styling either.

That said, IMHO no version of the Fit is a really great looking car. They're somewhat ugly and ungainly looking, which is pretty much a direct consequence of being a highly practical little car (a lot of space in a small vehicle). I don't know that the new version is really any better or worse than the previous ones; though I do think the crease down the side in particular is somewhat overdone.

I didn't get my Fit for appearance's sake; had I wanted a great looking little car, I would probably have a Miata—but I preferred to have an actual roof in wintertime, and to be able to carry more than one passenger and one six pack at a time. At least the Fit is kind of cute in its ugliness, rather than being ugly in an ugly sort of way.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
the new fits look pretty good in person. not very good in pictures.

also, once you start seeing them on the road i think they will grow on you.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM
I went to the dealer to check out the EX-L last night because I was thinking about trading in my 2011 Fit for a EX-L. I was not impressed with the exterior styling. But I do like the interior dash. I love the fact that they offer a sun/moon roof and heated leather seats. Sorry to say but I will not be picking up a 2015 Fit in the near future.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
The GE fit has a proven and reliable L15 engine. This engine is used in some small aircraft and it's an official racing engine in small displacement class.
The GK has an overly sophisticated, possibly less reliable engine (due to direct injection). It also has a lighter crankshaft than the old, L15 engine, which is one of the reason that made L15 so durable.
I don't like the styling of a GK either.

Not only does it look less modern and aerodynamic, the rear bumper cut outs are useless and just a sore spot. Made in Mexico is also a big warning sign.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with you 100% on the exterior. Not a fan, and never will be. It's worse in person in my opinion. I would, however, love it if the GE had the GK interior. That being said, I am 100% in love and happy with the GE. But as we all know, to each their own.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Yes! Like I said before, we each have our own taste and this isnt a bash on the owners of the new Fit. I feel like there are too many contrasting body lines. That being said I didnt likethe Subaru STI hatchback when it came out, now I would drive one any day of the week. So, it could very well grow on me. I do feel like the GE has a better style, but at certain angles looks a little long in the front. I am just being picky. I love the Fit and I am not looking back.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Didn't want a 2015 either. Just bought one of the last 2014 Sport (here in Canada we have a 2014 MY)...

I don't really like the exterior of the 2015 compared to the 2014. But then again, in 2009 ,I didn't like the new Fit compared to the 2008...It grew on me with time.

Reasons I didn't want the 2015 are (and keep in mind that I keep my cars for at least 15 years):
- CVT in the 2015 vs regular 5-speed AT in the 2014;
- No TPMS sensors in the 2014, present in the 2015;
- No big fancy radio with screen in the 2014 - very practical when you want to replace the radio (which usually lasts for around 10 years from my experience);
- 2015 is made in a brand new plant in Mexico...didn't want to have one of the first Fit to come out of there.

Things I would have liked if I bought a 2015 (or don't like about my 2014):
- 2015 has paddle shifters, while 2014 have none;
- 2015 might have radio control on the steering wheel (not sure about canadian model) - 2014 have none;
- My 2014 is made in China...at least in an older plant which are used to make Fits for a little while.

For now, I love my 2014 and do not regret the purchase. Hope I won't have any trouble with this car in the long run!

Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Not a fan of the 2015 fit either. I do not like the exterior design. I have seen the new fit at the dealer lot and the fit and finish of the '15 does not impress. Lots of flaws on the paint and panel misalignment. Gaps are not consistent. Quite a step back from my J vin Honda. The cars that I saw were brand new but it looks like they have been sitting at a parking lot for a long time.

I don't have a problem with Mexico assembly; I have bought 3 Mexico assembled Fords and I've been satisfied with the build quality. I think the new fit has first year / new assembly facility problems to work out. I will not trade in my '10 fit for the '15. And if my '10 gets stolen or totaled, I doubt that I will buy a 3rd gen fit.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Frenzal
Didn't want a 2015 either. Just bought one of the last 2014 Sport (here in Canada we have a 2014 MY)...

- No TPMS sensors in the 2014, present in the 2015;
In US market the 2015 does away with TPMS sensors and uses an indirect system. Are you sure they use the sensors in Canada?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hspatz
In US market the 2015 does away with TPMS sensors and uses an indirect system. Are you sure they use the sensors in Canada?
Maybe not... We will get 2015 models late September here.

Anyway, it's too late, I already own a 2014! And I'm quite happy with it!

Old 08-28-2014, 03:46 PM
m_x
I love my '15. I had no paint problems, no misaligned doors, no steering wheel gaps, no air bag trim replacement, no mis-stitched upholstery, no camera problems, no windshield dots, or anything else people were over blowing. The exterior styling is...different, but honestly, to say GE's and GD's looked better is like picking out the prettiest pig. They looked like tiny 4-door minivans, as opposed to this tiny 4-door minivan with useless vents on the rear bumper... I do wish I had the second glove compartment though.

As far as "first year made in Mexico" I'm not worried. In fact, I am confident that if there are any systemic problems with a car that is a result of Mexican labor and poor build quality, Honda will fix them to avoid people saying "SEE! Don't buy a Mexican Fit!" They made a hefty investment in a plant that consumers are wary of already. Do you really think they would shoot themselves in the foot by proving all of you Mexican Fit doubters right? On the first wave of cars? Before they release a SECOND Hecho en Mexico HR-V?

I'm betting no. And if I'm wrong, trust me, I will blast Honda and the GK up and down these forums to avoid people making the same mistake. For now however, absolutely 0 regrets. Great car. Will probably last just as long and travel just as far as your "J VIN" GE's.

EDIT: I MAY even be in the VIN range for the bumper replacement, but IDGAF. In fact I think it is case and point to what I said above; a systemic problem that is being proactively addressed by the manufacturer. That's my perspective anyway. Read into how you will...

Last edited by m_x; 08-28-2014 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x

As far as "first year made in Mexico" I'm not worried. In fact, I am confident that if there are any systemic problems with a car that is a result of Mexican labor and poor build quality, Honda will fix them to avoid people saying "SEE! Don't buy a Mexican Fit!"
I believe as you do that Honda will fix problems with poor build quality. That isn't really the problem.

One problem is having to burn a lot of time at the dealer every time the car has to go in for a free fix or warranty work. It takes 2 people to bring it in and 2 to pick it up and my experience is often 2 trips for each problem--one trip to diagnose and one after parts are ordered to install them. I know this from my 2005 Odyssey--1st year car I bought in October, as it was introduced.

The 2nd problem is that owners report their problems to places like Consumer Reports who will no longer recommend the vehicle, if they deem the vehicle below average for repairs, as they did for the 2005 Odyssey for a while leaving the Sienna as the only minivan they would recommend. This lowers resale value. One reason Fits hold their value so well is their stellar repair record, up till now.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:49 AM
All Fits have such a weird little shape, but the head & tail lights are so much better looking on the new ones. Never considered one until they improved looks and made them more efficient.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:15 AM
I agree i do like the looks of the 2015. Its not for every one, but coming from a 2007 fit sport, and a ep3. I do like small hatch backs. And the new fit is just a hit for me.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM
I always found the first generation to look a little too much like a toy.

The 2nd gen was a definite improvement, however it still looked kinda silly to my eyes.

The 3rd generation looks really nice. I like the carve out in the sides that starts at the rear coming from the taillights and extends to the front door.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM
I like the new Fit much better than the older model, especially the front. The sides are a bit weird for me, though. One day it looks sporty and nice with those curves/accents, another day it looks too plain. Maybe depends on the lighting heh.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Stubby
Ok, let me start by saying that I am a new Fit owner. I have been watching them since Spoons Fit was showcased in a Best Motoring video. So I first fell in love with the GD. When the GE came out, I thought the styling was spot on. That being said I am not completely impressed with the styling of the GK. Maybe it will grow on me when the aftermarket catches up with it and maybe I am a little biased with my newest purchased of my 2012 Sport.

Do I stand alone in this post???

Please understand that this is not a thread to bash the GK and the owners of the GK. Its just not appealed to me.
You own a 2012 and started a thread stating your dislike of the 2015 looks. Move on, nothing to see here.

Last edited by A41Billy; 09-25-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:57 AM
I am a proud owner of a 2015 Fit. I have to say that I always liked the looks of the older Fits. They were one car that always got a double take from me because they are so unique looking. I think the 2015 retains that unique look but now has a more aggressive stance which appealed to me. I could have done without the door grooves as I think they are overkill, but overall, I think the new fit has a sporty, quirky style. I could definitely see how it will not appeal to everyone and that is part of the reason I like it.

I am not sure what the worry is with the Mexican production. I have seen Mexican workers side by side with American workers and I know I am painting with a very large brush here, but I have no doubt that Mexican people are hard, diligent workers.

Quick Reply: 2015 Fit (Not a Fan)