3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

First Oil Change - Why not early?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:08 PM
An oil and octane thread combined into one?

You've created a monster.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:07 PM
I called American Honda - the first fill oil change (first oil change) on the GK should occur per the Maintenance Minder and not what the Dealer claims (Boch and Bernardi Honda in Boston both said 5000 mi). That's because the oil used from the factory is Honda Service Replacement Oil. They even sent me the blurb they train their service case workers:

Q: My Honda is equipped with break-in oil, should I change it early?

A: No. To ensure proper engine break-in, the factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the engine until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

The factory fill oil is the same as Honda Service Replacement Oil. The difference is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific internal engine components.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jazu
I called American Honda - the first fill oil change (first oil change) on the GK should occur per the Maintenance Minder and not what the Dealer claims (Boch and Bernardi Honda in Boston both said 5000 mi). That's because the oil used from the factory is Honda Service Replacement Oil. They even sent me the blurb they train their service case workers:

A: No. To ensure proper engine break-in, the factory-fill engine oil needs to remain in the engine until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

The factory fill oil is the same as Honda Service Replacement Oil. The difference is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific internal engine components.
I had an oil analysis done on the factory fill oil in my Fit at the first oil change. There was 655 ppm of molybdenum in the oil. Subsequent oil analysis showed only 60-100 ppm of molybdenum. So there you are.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I had an oil analysis done on the factory fill oil in my Fit at the first oil change. There was 655 ppm of molybdenum in the oil. Subsequent oil analysis showed only 60-100 ppm of molybdenum. So there you are.
Awesome!!

How is that for confirmation lol

Old 11-07-2019, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
Change the oil when ever you like. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise. It's cheap insurance, just like praying.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member

If such a document exists, I'd like to see it.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
One theory is that the higher level of molybdenum in the oil is because molybdenum is used in the engine assembly process. It's not there as a lubricant for the normal engine function or the break-in engine function.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM
5 Year Member
I've been searching for a while, and I have never seen any proof that there is such a thing as break-in oil. But I'm only one thousand years old.

There was a time that neither Honda nor anyone else ever stipulated that owners should not touch their oil until the first service.

There was a time when new engines were thought to need break-in procedures (by the owner) to seat the rings.

There was a time that new engines were thought to throw off metal shaving during the early miles.

The idea that Honda, the largest manufacturer of engines in the world, bench tests or breaks in every engine before selling it seems hard to believe. On the other hand, Honda is probably circumspect in its marketing practices, and tries to devise procedures (for the consumer) so that stupid things don't happen. It wouldn't surprise me if Honda said things to discourage consumers from doing any work on their cars. (You'll notice that they no longer sell a Service Manual.)

Note: I have no expert knowledge of anything.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
I called American Honda -............The factory fill oil is the same as Honda Service Replacement Oil. The difference is the Molybdenum lubricant that is applied to specific internal engine components.
So in other words the oil initially put into the engine at the factory is exactly the same oil that would be repeatedly used at the dealership for regular oil changes. There is no special start up oil.

The "Molybdenum lubricant" which they mention is simply a moly grease which is smeared on to specific engine components. Because a brand new engine being started for the first could suffer friction damage at key points since the oil doesn't reach those points for a few seconds, the moly is smeared on to provide a one time temporary lubrication at those points. Once an engine has been started and the oil has fully circulated the moly will no longer be needed and will be flushed away and dissolved by the oil. Although the moly will circulate in the oil now, it serves no further purpose. This moly grease is typically called "assembly grease" (see Google for more info) and is used when assembling both gas and diesel engines.