3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Radio Interface -- How about an upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Radio Interface -- How about an upgrade?

So, I bought one of those tiny USB thumb drives that we've talked about on the forum, and it works just fine -- fits right into the front port, and the little door can close so you don't see it. I basically filled up the thing, carefully naming my folders so everything would be in alpha order -- only it isn't. There are folder numbers attached to the folders that came from who knows where, and the alpha order is occasional at best. Searching is limited to scrolling up and down.

Now, there's been a lot of discussion of the Honda Link system, and whether we'll be able to use our Android phones, waiting a year to buy, yadda, yadda. I'm concerned about that too, but it seems to me that there's no reason in the world that the radio interface couldn't be upgraded to be a little more user friendly -- I mean, my grandson's pocket video game is more sophisticated!

Honda folks, how about some improvement? Or maybe an app for the thing so that we could have a little more control of our music?? Hmmm?

Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 PM
Id prefer that Honda UN-cripple the software so we can use the full capabilities of the head unit. Disable the HDMI shutdown when you start driving so we can mirror our cell phones navigation app on the display!!

Old 08-22-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
Disable the HDMI shutdown when you start driving so we can mirror our cell phones navigation app on the display!!

Old 08-22-2014, 02:04 PM
Id prefer that Honda UN-cripple the software so we can use the full capabilities of the head unit. Disable the HDMI shutdown when you start driving so we can mirror our cell phones navigation app on the display!!
I'm not sure it's so simple unless you don't need any interaction with the nav app. It would be better if they provided an open framework for devs to work with the screen so you can actually use the touchscreen as well with other apps.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anonymoose
So, I bought one of those tiny USB thumb drives that we've talked about on the forum, and it works just fine ... the alpha order is occasional at best.
Mine is alphabetical by the artists last name....took me a minute to figure it out...Especially when it is a group, it sometime sorts by the last word assuming it's the last name...

Old 08-22-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
I'm not sure it's so simple unless you don't need any interaction with the nav app. It would be better if they provided an open framework for devs to work with the screen so you can actually use the touchscreen as well with other apps.

It is simple in concept, no need for interaction with the HONDALINK NAV app. Mirroring the phone is all self contained on the phone in terms of apps, data, interaction.

Honda deliberately crippled the software (and thus hardware) disabling the screen while driving for 1. as a safety feature 2. revenue security so customers are forced to buy/use their inferior product when they already have a better product on their smartphones...for free (technically speaking of course...data plan and all)

I'm not convinced of the first reason of it being a safety feature. By virtue that taking your hands off the wheel for ANYTHING is considered a safety hazard technically. Honda cannot promote safety and prevent stupid by limiting their accessories. Have it fully functional, drivers use it at their own risk.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:41 PM
5 Year Member
I just cancelled my XM and plan on getting a usb drive. Does the HU read mp3 files? Or which is the preferred format?

I have my music saved in mp3 format w/ "Artist - Name" format

Old 08-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole
Mine is alphabetical by the artists last name....took me a minute to figure it out...Especially when it is a group, it sometime sorts by the last word assuming it's the last name...
Hmm. I will have to check that out. Thanks!

Old 08-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by TofuShop
I just cancelled my XM and plan on getting a usb drive. Does the HU read mp3 files? Or which is the preferred format?

I have my music saved in mp3 format w/ "Artist - Name" format
All my music is in mp3 format, so that should work.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Not a bad idea, but the lawyers would have a field day the first time someone drove over a pedestrian while mirroring Grand Theft Auto onto the display.

The only way they will risk a phone using the display is if they control the app you mirror, which means only their app will work.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM
Just came across this article .... FYI .... Guessing we may not see CarPlay ....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/apple-...132909243.html

Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
It could work well enough that way, provided you've placed your phone in reach to operate it as needed while using the display only as a secondary display to see the map while you're driving. This would be acceptable for me, though not as ideal as better integration.

The actual reason why they aren't *ever* going to allow the HDMI mirroring to work while driving is liability / safety. Doing that also makes it possible to mirror other video (movies, TV shows, YouTube, etc) to the display which would at least in some cases be abused by those who might actually watch something while driving -- the same sort of people we see driving down the road with a book or newspaper laid over the steering wheel.

Ideally, we would want to be able to control the phone through the screen as well, and it would only make available a certain set of apps that would legitimately be used while driving such as the navigation and music playback/streaming. This would be where the software comes in (HondaLink or Android Auto).

Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
If Honda was really worried about safety, they'd disable ALL touchscreen functions when the car is in motion.

Why can I adjust the Bass and Treble but can't select a Bluetooth device that's has been previously paired?

Why can I navigate through submenu after submenu on the fuel mileage info screen but not see a two word text message? (Instead seeing a even more distracting 2 sentence warning about safety)

Having a set of functions that are just arbitrarily disabled is stupid.

Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Anonymoose
All my music is in mp3 format, so that should work.
cool, thanks