3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

lx or ex

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:31 PM
lx or ex

Looking to buy a Fit later this month. Should I get the LX or spring for the Ex?

Old 09-02-2014, 03:35 PM
It really depends on your own preferences & budget to determine what's "worth it" and what's not to you. Both are a good choice!

Old 09-02-2014, 03:46 PM
This link provides one way to compare the trim levels between the two models...

Compare Vehicles - Official Honda Web Site

Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
i went through this a month ago. i wanted a 6mt, but the wife wanted a sunroof. we settled on the ex.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
If you want "Passion Berry Pearl", like my daughter did, you don't have a choice, as it only comes in EX+ trim (Assuming your location "Pacific", is in the US and not Canada). Otherwise, only you can decide what options you want and what you don't want.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Have an EX CVT. Wife hates the knobless radio, hates the EX keyless start, will never use the sunroof, could not care less about the speakers or the look of the wheels.

I think if she wants a Fit for herself, and we are in the market, she is getting an LX.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:29 PM
I am in the market and for me the LX seems like a better "fit". I prefer the volume knob, I would prefer smaller rim size (softer ride and cheaper tires), I prefer less chrome, I don't want a moon roof and would prefer the more head room since I do have some friends that are pushing 6'5", would never use paddle shifters (no point in a CVT), wouldn't use the side cameras, and I would like the extra MPG. I absolutely hate leather because I sweat, and slide around in the seats.

The only reasons I would want the EX is for the tweeters. I have also seen two sources say that the EX has more sound insulation but I have yet to see that verified. Overall, the LX is better for me but for you, that depends on what you like.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JupiterJoe
This link provides one way to compare the trim levels between the two models...
Compare Vehicles - Official Honda Web Site
This comparison s how I decided on my LX-6, plus the dealer just happened to have one in white. I wanted manual 6-speed and figured I could upgrade wheels cheaper than OEM. The LX comes pretty loaded with features, bells & whistles. Do your own cost/benefit analysis ... only thing I wish I had is fog lamps but can add on later (probably never happen, more involved than I anticipated).

Good Luck!

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by lorentholcke
I am in the market and for me the LX seems like a better "fit". I prefer the volume knob, I would prefer smaller rim size (softer ride and cheaper tires), I prefer less chrome, I don't want a moon roof and would prefer the more head room since I do have some friends that are pushing 6'5", would never use paddle shifters (no point in a CVT), wouldn't use the side cameras, and I would like the extra MPG. I absolutely hate leather because I sweat, and slide around in the seats.
I have the similar preferences here, and I'm strongly leaning toward LX.

Another concern about EX and EX-L is that someone could break in and drive it away without a key because of the keyless start feature. Also it would be a little annoying to have the doors open when I get close to the car with no such intention

Last edited by mj56gt; 09-02-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by mj56gt
I have the similar preferences here, and I'm strongly leaning toward LX.

Another concern about EX and EX-L is that someone could break in and drive it away without a key because of the keyless start feature. Also it would be a little annoying to have the doors open when I get close to the car with no such intention
Without your key fob it is I possible to drive away with your EX/EX-L if broken into. They all have the same type of immobilizer chip that makes it impossible.
If they have your keyless fob they could just as easily have your key.... Doors will not just open on their own when your near the car. They need you to be close and place your hand on either of the 2 front door handles...

Old 09-02-2014, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
...or the hatch.

My salesperson went to gas up the car I had left running. I had the fob, and the car came to a halt in only a few feet.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Working at a Honda dealer, I have actually been debating this myself. I am use to the simplicity of my old 11 Fit Sport, but the EX does have a few things that are enticing.

You do hear a difference in the audio with the extra speakers on the EX. If music is important to you, and you are not the type to go spend on aftermarket audio, you should listen to the difference between the LX and EX, if possible. But do yourself a favor and go by bluetooth audio on your smartphone or a CD. Do not use radio for a comparison.

Honda LaneWatch is another biggie for me. Having had a few back issues in the last three years, I had experience days where a severe pinch nerve makes my neck mobility very limited. Driving like this is pretty unsafe, since I really cant see out of my blind spot. Lane Watch would help a bunch.

Personally, ever since I saw it in an S2000 so many moons ago, I do like the bright red push start button. Its not really a need. I just really like it. But it is more convenient to have. Especially if you carry a lot of keys with you and want to avoid a bunch metal dangling over your knee while you drive.

But the LX is very nice and I may well end up with one. I always put aftermarket wheels on my cars, and it already comes with Bluetooth and a back up camera (two important things for me) and Auto headlights to boot.

Like the members above suggested, highlight the features that are really important to you and make an educated decision that makes sense to you.

Best of luck!!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
I have a Silver EX, and the smart entry is worth $2K to me alone. That's just me since everyone is different, but I don't like to search for my keys when I just came out of the store with two handful of stuff and need to open the trunk. I can just open it, so, so convenient.

The other feature I like is using and storing the usb thumb drive inside the center console. I don't like having things stick out for gawkers to see out in the open.

As others have mentioned, the right side mirror camera is tremendously helpful. You don't have to worry about the blind spot any longer, especially if your front passenger is blocking your view.

I like the 7" screen instead of the 5" screen as well, you can see things a bit bigger on your backup camera.

Nothing in the EX is necessary, so it may not be worth the upgrade. It's all convenience added features. No right or wrong answer, not one is better than the other. it's up to what you want in a car. If you have it, you'll use the features. If you don't have it, you'll still drive the car the same way. My last car was a Base 2009 Fit without a remote, I had to always stick my key in the hole, and I never complained. I take it for what it is.

Last edited by happy2000hk; 09-02-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:44 PM
I chose the LX because I wanted maximum fuel efficiency and the LX gets a tad better mileage over the EX. Also, the little bit of extras that you get with the EX weren't enough to sway me (the LX already comes greatly equipped). And I also wanted to save the extra cash that I would have spent on an EX. However, it's truly up to personal choice. If you want a sunroof, factory aluminum wheels, etc., then the EX is the way to go.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by pherank
I chose the LX because I wanted maximum fuel efficiency and the LX gets a tad better mileage over the EX.
Is that true? I understood that the only reason the EX has a lower MPG EPA rating was because all cars with paddle shifters are rated lower than those without because of the chance that you -can- use them which will lower the MPG.

My experience is new but so far I've seen 50-53 in my EX

Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Go for the EX! You have more options.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pherank
I chose the LX because I wanted maximum fuel efficiency and the LX gets a tad better mileage over the EX.

i would like to see that in a real world test. the difference between the lx and ex is 60lbs. that could be the difference between me and you....

Old 09-03-2014, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lorentholcke

The only reasons I would want the EX is for the tweeters. I have also seen two sources say that the EX has more sound insulation but I have yet to see that verified. Overall, the LX is better for me but for you, that depends on what you like.
All of those are fair reasons for favoring an LX except for the headroom relating to the moonroof. I'm 6'8" and do have an EX and the moonroof doesn't at all seem to have impacted headroom. My knees may be banging around, but I have lots of space over my head, and this moonroof doesn't appear to have any components (including the cover) which are lower than the ceiling otherwise would have been.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
I bought the LX... and NEVER have the feeling like I'm driving something that's stripped down. Quite frankly, every single feature that the EX or EX-L offers I either have no desire for, or think looks unattractive---with the singular exception of fog lights.

Even if fog lights were an option on my LX (right now) I doubt if I'd spring for what they would cost at this point.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chrisjones
All of those are fair reasons for favoring an LX except for the headroom relating to the moonroof. I'm 6'8" and do have an EX and the moonroof doesn't at all seem to have impacted headroom. My knees may be banging around, but I have lots of space over my head, and this moonroof doesn't appear to have any components (including the cover) which are lower than the ceiling otherwise would have been.
Comparison from the Honda website on:

A)Passenger Volume (cu. ft., mfr.)

95.7 (LX)
93.8 (EX)

B) Headroom (Front, in.)

39.5 (LX)
38.0 (EX)

Considering the outer dimensions (roof height), are the same on both versions, the installation of the sunroof/moonroof must take up some space, and by the specifications found on the Honda website, it appears that space is about 1.5".

Last edited by Vanguard; 09-03-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: lx or ex