3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! Honda does not use a "special break in oil" it is conventional blend oil. If your maintenance minder is at 80% there is no need to perform a oil change unless its over a year since it was last changed.
Special as in NOT conventional off the shelf oil

If you dont think there is such a thing as break-in oil, you have never properly broken in a brand new motor.

A rebuilt motor is treated differently then a brand new motor.

And correction for you, Honda does indeed use a break-in oil.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Fat_man
I don't think this applies to 0-20W... it comes fresh out of bottle thin as water... maybe I'm mistaken...

While 0w-20 is thinner then oil such as 5w-30, I doubt anyone could really tell the difference, if they were presented with 2 different cups of oil, and you had to figure out which is which from feeling it.

I think honda even says something about 5w-30 if you are operating the car in very hot environments. Check the owners manual to verify

Old 09-06-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
So, when my daughter takes her Fit in @ 5,000 miles, should she ask for a full synthetic oil change (0w-20), with a new filter? She is currently @ 2100 miles, so she won't change it until she comes home for Thanksgiving.

With our old 2008 Fit, they used conventional oil and changed the filter every other time (it was a $19.99 special for anyone who had purchased their car from that particular dealer). I think we could have requested synthetic, but we never did. I am thinking I would like to use nothing but Synthetic for this car.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Honda uses the 0w-20 synthetic blend with the Fit. I'm sure it's your preference whether to use fu synthetic going forward, but the dealer told me the blend is "stock".

I'm not wading into the "break in oil" discussion . Above my pay grade.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
i have a stockpile of 0w-20 for my tacoma. it is full synthetic. i was unable to find non-synthetic or even a blend 0w-20 when i was looking for oil for the truck.

just did a quick search, and i am still unable to find conventional or blended 0w-20... my guess is we have synthetic, unless honda has a special deal with a particular oil manufacturer. who is gonna send their oil to blackstone to test it?

Last edited by rodney; 09-06-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
i have a stockpile of 0w-20 for my tacoma. it is full synthetic. i was unable to find non-synthetic or even a blend 0w-20 when i was looking for oil for the truck.

just did a quick search, and i am still unable to find conventional or blended 0w-20... my guess is we have synthetic, unless honda has a special deal with a particular oil manufacturer. who is gonna send their oil to blackstone to test it?
I found this on Amazon for the "blend folks":

Amazon.com: Genuine Honda Fluid 08798-9036 0W-20 Blended Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda Fluid 08798-9036 0W-20 Blended Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle: Automotive

And this for the "fully synthetic" people:

Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 08798-9037 Full Synthetic Oil: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Honda 08798-9037 Full Synthetic Oil: Automotive

Now it is just a matter of deciding which camp I want to be in......(ignore these Amazon prices, they represent free Amazon Prime 2-day shipping that is not really free)!

Last edited by Vanguard; 09-06-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:32 AM
5 Year Member
I found this on Amazon for the "blend folks":

wow, blend for $13/qt and full synth for $16/qt? meh, i will keep my $7/qt kendall.

edit: here is full synth from honda for a little under $7

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-M...8798-9XXX.aspx

Last edited by rodney; 09-06-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
While 0w-20 is thinner then oil such as 5w-30, I doubt anyone could really tell the difference, if they were presented with 2 different cups of oil, and you had to figure out which is which from feeling it.

I think honda even says something about 5w-30 if you are operating the car in very hot environments. Check the owners manual to verify
Here is an interesting chart I found on the Bernardiparts.com site:

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/..._SEPT_2013.pdf

In addition, these people have much better pricing than Amazon.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
wow, blend for $13/qt and full synth for $16/qt? meh, i will keep my $7/qt kendall.

edit: here is full synth from honda for a little under $7

Honda Motor Oil - Synthetic - Bernardi Parts
Re-read the last sentence in my post: (ignore these Amazon prices, they represent free Amazon Prime 2-day shipping that is not really free)!

Like you, I then went to the bernardi parts site, and found the cute chart I posted a link for, and the much better pricing. The fact Amazon Prime is not alway's the cheapest way to buy anything, is the subject of another post, but on a different forum.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit

According to this Honda chart:

They list both the 5W-20 and 0W-20, but recommended the 0W-20.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
According to this Honda chart:

They list both the 5W-20 and 0W-20, but recommended the 0W-20.
Try this link:

Old 09-06-2014, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
That is weird, my link worked on post #27, but not on subsequent posts. Something changed midstream. Thanks for pointing this out!

Old 09-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by woof

I like this info.

I also see how they go from 5w-30 to 5w-20 for the civic from 6th gen to 7th gen.

Both gens were built to similar tolerances (yes, different sized motor) yet honda was CRAP we can use 20 weight since we built them so well!

lol same with the accord stuff. nearly the same motor, the same tolerances in the 4 cylinders but honda once again was SHIT we built these good too! change the weight!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Did 1st O.C. of the new '11 Fit at 7,129 . It now has little over 38,000 miles and burns no oil . Use Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 for last 3 O.C.s . Intervals average about 7,700 miles thus far .

Last edited by Odie; 09-06-2014 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:41 AM
Wow....... 10+ years of Honda service experience with both online and in class testing taken from Honda of America sponsored courses. Dozens of meets with Honda engineers and techs. Daily access to Hondas database with updates to how/why anything is done/used on the cars. Yet everything that Honda has informed all it's dealership personnel on oil is wrong?? Oh well believe what you like I will still trust the company that actually manufactures the cars to be correct....
Yeah so anyway... your only source for your information is your own dubious claims about your experience as a mechanic. I gave you an article from Edmund's in my previous post that verified that Honda does in fact use a break-in oil on their new cars. Now, I give you another source... this is what HONDA tells its customers on it's own website:

"Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?"

"Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their 'natural' wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process."

"American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

SOURCE: Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ | Honda Owners Site

Old 09-07-2014, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Odie
Intervals average about 7,700 miles thus far .
Originally Posted by Fat_man
"Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?""

"American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."
this is my first maintenance minder car with no set interval for services. damn, it is scary... i do not think i can go the 7k or more before change the oil, especialy the first time. i will most likely dump it within a few thousand miles.

imho, these extended oil change and service intervals are for advertising. the manufacturers talks about maintenance costs in their sales brochures and on their television ads. upping the mileage intervals (100k plugs, 10k oil changes etc) lowers cost, allowing them to say "zero" maintenance or "only" $100 maintenance costs over 100,000 miles... thus making them more attractive then other manufactuers to the budget minded.

i convinced a friend to buy a 10' fit. he drove that car 30k, and only had the oil changed twice. why i asked? he said "i did it when the car told me too..." great. now we are relying on electronics for the most simple of tasks. kinda of like the no dipstick on the german cars. unnecessary complication.

this of course is my own opinion, and i was in the automotive industry for over 20 years in many capacities from service to admin. ultimately, it is your car, do what you please. doesn't matter to me. again, purely imho, but for my 15' fit, factoring in my driving habits and experience, i will be adhering to 5k oil changes (every 2 months or so). some will say overkill, others will say not enough. it is only 3.5 quarts, so it is cheap insurance against failure.

man, what's with my long winded posts lately...

Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member
Wow....... 10+ years of Honda service experience with both online and in class testing taken from Honda of America sponsored courses. Dozens of meets with Honda engineers and techs. Daily access to Hondas database with updates to how/why anything is done/used on the cars. Yet everything that Honda has informed all it's dealership personnel on oil is wrong?? Oh well believe what you like I will still trust the company that actually manufactures the cars to be correct....

To the OP if the oil level reads overful bring it back to dealer to check and ald levels accordingly. To much oil can cause long term issues.
Oh wait don't do that. We don't carry "special break in oil"....smh
Your 10+ years of experience is no match for Honda's very own website. You're welcome. (now waiting for post refuting Honda's website or possibly a 'I was wrong' post. Betting on the former.)

Frequently Asked Questions | FAQ | Honda Owners Site

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

Last edited by 2012FitFan; 09-07-2014 at 09:29 AM.