3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Engine Oil

Ok I'm still on my first oil from the dealer and it seems a little full. I double checked the dip stick and it is over the full line. Should I release some? or just wait for the maintenance minder? and change it then? Any one else done their oil change yet?

Last edited by BLXFITTY; 09-03-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't worry about 1/4 inch or so.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:29 AM
I can barely read my oil its so clean...

Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Same as Fat_man. I'm like, "where is it?"

Old 09-05-2014, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
That could also mean you have no oil......just saying.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:09 PM
Honda puts a special break in oil into their cars. Do not make any move to change it prior the 3k miles or so. If the maintenance minder says you still have 80% life left at 3k miles, feel free to disagree.

I say 3k miles because that in my mind is perfectly acceptable to think all moving parts are now in their proper place and wear patterns. and after breaking in, the ecu has now figured out a baseline for fuel and ignition stuff, and gotten some long term logs on its sensor data.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
I'm at around 2300 miles and the oil is not that clean.. brown almost.. A question I have is, do the break in oil come from factory? or are the dealers the ones putting them in?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by BLXFITTY
I'm at around 2300 miles and the oil is not that clean.. brown almost.. A question I have is, do the break in oil come from factory? or are the dealers the ones putting them in?
From the factory. The car has to be in running condition so they can drive it on and off the transporter!

Old 09-05-2014, 12:43 PM
oil can be brown, that is fine.

Oil color doesnt mean anything, even if its pitch black.

What you need to do is take a white paper towel and smear oil from the dipstick on it. If it soaks in instantly, change the oil. If it takes a bit, the oil still has its thickness and consistency, and is still good

Old 09-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
What you need to do is take a white paper towel and smear oil from the dipstick on it. If it soaks in instantly, change the oil. If it takes a bit, the oil still has its thickness and consistency, and is still good
I don't think this applies to 0-20W... it comes fresh out of bottle thin as water... maybe I'm mistaken...

Old 09-05-2014, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
Honda puts a special break in oil into their cars. Do not make any move to change it prior the 3k miles or so. If the maintenance minder says you still have 80% life left at 3k miles, feel free to disagree.

I say 3k miles because that in my mind is perfectly acceptable to think all moving parts are now in their proper place and wear patterns. and after breaking in, the ecu has now figured out a baseline for fuel and ignition stuff, and gotten some long term logs on its sensor data.
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! Honda does not use a "special break in oil" it is conventional blend oil. If your maintenance minder is at 80% there is no need to perform a oil change unless its over a year since it was last changed.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! Honda does not use a "special break in oil" it is conventional blend oil. If your maintenance minder is at 80% there is no need to perform a oil change unless its over a year since it was last changed.
I think you need to shift to a higher octane fuel.......

Old 09-05-2014, 03:39 PM
Lol so break in oil or nahhh?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 PM

YES they DO use a special break-in oil:

"However, a Honda spokesman says its cars come from the factory with a special oil formulation for the break-in period. Honda advises owners to not change the oil early. Stark said Blackstone Laboratories' test of Honda's break-in oil shows it contains molybdenum-disulfide, an anti-wear additive. But Stark said Honda is the only manufacturer he knows that's using special break-in oil."

It is hilarious how the one who gets the most upset is the most wrong... ha ha!!!

Source: Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil

Old 09-05-2014, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
lol and you want to be a forum moderator? calm down TGIF

Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 PM
Since the topic is "engine oil" and will forever show up under any searches for engine oil on the 3rd gen Fit, lets put some useful information in this thread.

Stock oil weight?
Synthetic?
Amount?
Oil Filter part #'s?

My maintenance minder is at 50% last I remember looking
(I don't have the above information BTW, I believe I saw it in the manual, just dont have it at the moment)

Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM
0w20?
BREAKINOIL?
3.5QTs?
WtFBBQSAUCE

Old 09-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Wow....... 10+ years of Honda service experience with both online and in class testing taken from Honda of America sponsored courses. Dozens of meets with Honda engineers and techs. Daily access to Hondas database with updates to how/why anything is done/used on the cars. Yet everything that Honda has informed all it's dealership personnel on oil is wrong?? Oh well believe what you like I will still trust the company that actually manufactures the cars to be correct....

To the OP if the oil level reads overful bring it back to dealer to check and ald levels accordingly. To much oil can cause long term issues.
Oh wait don't do that. We don't carry "special break in oil"....smh

Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Wow....... 10+ years of Honda service experience with both online and in class testing taken from Honda of America sponsored courses. Dozens of meets with Honda engineers and techs. Daily access to Hondas database with updates to how/why anything is done/used on the cars. Yet everything that Honda has informed all it's dealership personnel on oil is wrong?? Oh well believe what you like I will still trust the company that actually manufactures the cars to be correct....

To the OP if the oil level reads overful bring it back to dealer to check and ald levels accordingly. To much oil can cause long term issues.
Oh wait don't do that. We don't carry "special break in oil"....smh
So, when my daughter takes her Fit in @ 5,000 miles, should she ask for a full synthetic oil change (0w-20), with a new filter? She is currently @ 2100 miles, so she won't change it until she comes home for Thanksgiving.

With our old 2008 Fit, they used conventional oil and changed the filter every other time (it was a $19.99 special for anyone who had purchased their car from that particular dealer). I think we could have requested synthetic, but we never did. I am thinking I would like to use nothing but Synthetic for this car.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
So, when my daughter takes her Fit in @ 5,000 miles, should she ask for a full synthetic oil change (0w-20), with a new filter? She is currently @ 2100 miles, so she won't change it until she comes home for Thanksgiving.

With our old 2008 Fit, they used conventional oil and changed the filter every other time (it was a $19.99 special for anyone who had purchased their car from that particular dealer). I think we could have requested synthetic, but we never did. I am thinking I would like to use nothing but Synthetic for this car.
I think if you change the oil filter every other time you are putting the dirty oil in the filter back in your engine. I always change the filter every time I change so all the oil is fresh. I would go with the type of oil Honda recommends for your Fit and change the filter every time. Bill VIN 22335

Quick Reply: Engine Oil