3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

I present to you... Cooling Seats

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 08:07 PM
I present to you... Cooling Seats

LMAO. This might be a joke topic but ...

I have a road trip next week and I didn't want to deal with 5-6 hours of traffic in the summer heat going up to SF. I got the EX-L because I liked the leather seats, steering wheel, shift knob, center arm rest, and I didn't feel like installing them myself since the Ex-L wasn't that much more (plus it has side mirror turn signals and defrost).

ANYWAY we all know the leather seats get hot. Even cloth seats!
I wanted to add an aftermarket cooling seat, but since our Honda leather isn't perforated, it wasn't going to be easy. There are after market seat covers that have a fan, but I didn't want an ugly fan control knob nor have it plugged in.

Well! For about $36-40 you can have cooling AND heated seats for both front seats!

First you need TUBING. Doesn't really matter what size. As long as they can bend. Perhaps if you have smaller tubing, you can make many tiny holes and twist it into a circle to have more surface area.

Second you need a seat cushion that's designed to keep your bum cool. This way you can cover that tubing and sit on it.

Route the tubing into one of the air vents under the seat. You can route some into the other one, but then you'd be selfish not letting the rear passengers get some air of their own.

Name:  cLr4hS9.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  771.2 KB

Route it into the front seat. It looks tacky but this works! I may cover it up someday, but it's quite unnoticeable in the dark

Name:  zqJccmZ.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  927.1 KB

Route it to the front half and plug off the end and make some holes, or leave it alone to have your thighs nice and chilled.

Name:  irOeYs5.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  805.3 KB

Then cover it up with a cushion that's ventilated.

Name:  R4UjM0H.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  1.52 MB

I had the car running and drove around with my AC on. My bum was nice and cool. Turn air to Feet air only and it gets cool faster! AND this doubles as "heated seats" Just turn up the air temp warmer and VOILA! HEATED SEATS!

For those of you that have the Ex-L. The heated seats still function and warm the cushion! Also, the seats are still able to go back and forth + recline! No problemo!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:51 PM
5 Year Member
At first glance, I was thinking it was some NASCAR inspired system to help avoid bathroom breaks (Patent Pending)!

Your idea works too.....

Last edited by Vanguard; 09-12-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 PM
I had a good laugh seeing this.

Does it actually work? I think it should, but is the blower fan in the dash actually moving enough air to push it past the cushion to be felt?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:33 AM
For me, putting anything over leather seats is a crime
But for an xtreme seal at the vents, you can spray/paint some plastidip.

I hardly feel the floor vents with the dual fan mode on, though. Would like to know if your tush would feel a difference!

Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 AM
This does work! My bum gets cold in a couple minutes if I set it to foot vent only. The two tubes go into one of the two foot vents under my seat, and they surprisingly for snugly without needing to use any velcro or tape. I've been able to move my seat around without them coming off. They come off if I pull them back with my hands. I still get a chuckle thinking about this, but my bum is happy.

I don't really feel the air blowing my bum, but I can feel the coldness of the seat.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Administrator
Very clever