3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How accurate is your fuel gauge?

Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I think you are just noticing the reserve capacity. It has been discussed many times in this forum, once you know how much is available beyond the gauge reading empty you are at your own mercy for distance. I don't understand what the issue is with just filling up when below a quarter. Few places in the United States could I imagine you couldn't find a station to fuel at. The gauge I find to be completely accurate once you know the reading. At basically zero lines on the gauge there is around 8-1/2 gallons used.
On my 2015 LX CVT I did my first fill-up when I showed 2 bars on the gauge and fuel light came on. I put gas in until the nozzle clicked off at 8.501 gal. drove 298 miles on that tank with econ off. Bill #22335

Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
On my 2015 LX CVT I did my first fill-up when I showed 2 bars on the gauge and fuel light came on. I put gas in until the nozzle clicked off at 8.501 gal. drove 298 miles on that tank with econ off. Bill #22335
35 MPG - Nice.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
A couple of myths have come up in this thread.

Driving with low fuel won't overheat the pump. The pump is cooled by the fuel that is pumped through the pump, not by fuel that surrounds it in the tank. In fact, some cars use pumps that are outside the tank.
not on all cars. yes, the pumps are lubricated and cooled by the fuel going through it, but being fully submerged does make a difference. yes, there are externally mounted fuel pumps, but look how large they are by comparison.

Originally Posted by GeorgeL

Well-designed tanks like the Honda's incorporate a fuel sump that keeps a supply of fuel at the pump intake until the bitter end. Even with only a liter of gas remaining the pump should not suck air regardless of the attitude of the car.
not all hondas. both of my s2000's fuel starve at 3/4 of a tank, when taking left hand turns.

sorry, you are not the mythbuster you thought you were.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Great, now this will encourage all Fit owners to push their cars past the point where traditionally they would get gas, because they know that the E point is a bigger crock of BS than it is on other cars (like Kramer did with a 900 on one episode, for Seinfeld fans). Which is not really the "help" that people really need, IMHO.
I'd prefer accurate information from my gauges, and if I'm a big enough idiot not to stop and get gas when I should, I'm the idiot, not my gauges, and I'd deserve to be walking to the next station.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by tommycrx
Great, now this will encourage all Fit owners to push their cars past the point where traditionally they would get gas, because they know that the E point is a bigger crock of BS than it is on other cars (like Kramer did with a 900 on one episode, for Seinfeld fans). Which is not really the "help" that people really need, IMHO.
I'd prefer accurate information from my gauges, and if I'm a big enough idiot not to stop and get gas when I should, I'm the idiot, not my gauges, and I'd deserve to be walking to the next station.
Well said.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Not sure about Hondas, but on some cars with in tank fuel pumps, some of the fuel that has cooled the pump will get recirculated back to the tank. This will raise the temperature of the fuel in the tank. The less fuel there is in the tank the higher the fuel temperature will be. The higher the fuel temperature the hotter the fuel pump will run. My wife use to always run her tank to empty. She suffered a fuel pump failure on her Camry. I usually don't go below 1/4 tank, no fuel pump failure for me and I drive many more miles than her. A friend of mine owns a garage. I was over there the other day. He was replacing a fuel pump on an F150. The factory replacement pump had a caution in the box to not go below 1/4 tank to reduce the chance of fuel pump overheat/failure. Your results may vary. Do as you choose.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tommycrx
Great, now this will encourage all Fit owners to push their cars past the point where traditionally they would get gas, because they know that the E point is a bigger crock of BS than it is on other cars (like Kramer did with a 900 on one episode, for Seinfeld fans).
I seriously doubt that "all Fit owners" even care, and I can't see how this encourages anyone to do anything. Is this really a case of someone thinking that Fit owners are as ridiculous as a sitcom character? Many of us actually live and drive in the real world, where people don't usually try to play chicken with their gas gauge.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
I seriously doubt that "all Fit owners" even care, and I can't see how this encourages anyone to do anything. Is this really a case of someone thinking that Fit owners are as ridiculous as a sitcom character? Many of us actually live and drive in the real world, where people don't usually try to play chicken with their gas gauge.
If a gauge is not accurate, or not even as "intentionally off" as other manufacturers' gauges, then of course it encourages guessing. The whole point of this exercise is that the manufacturers think that people are dumb enough to need the extra cushion. If not, why have it?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:05 PM
5 Year Member
The usable capacity of the typical fuel tank is almost always less than the tank's physical capacity.

It's pretty rare you can fill one up all the way, especially without the risk of flooding the vent lines and vapor canister. It's safest to let it click off once at the high fuel flow (or if it spits back, slow down when you hear it getting full), then follow with a slower fuel flow until it clicks off once, and call it a day. Is the tank full? Probably not completely. I wouldn't be surprised if my so-called 10.6 gallon tank could only be filled to 10 gallons or so on the first slow flow click off.

It's also rare you can completely empty one, especially without the risk of running the pump dry at least some of the time, even at a steady speed, much less during acceleration and braking, or turning. I wouldn't be surprised to see the fuel gauge read E when I've used 9 gallons of that possibly only about 10 gallons it could be filled to in reality.

But I also wouldn't count on being able to use all of that one gallon I'd assume was left in the tank either. There may only be as little 15-20 miles usable.

Last edited by Fitmo; 10-01-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
But I also wouldn't count on being able to use all of that one gallon I'd assume was left in the tank either. There may only be as little 15-20 miles usable.

I have literally driven over 50 Miles with Zero Range. still had nearly a gallon of fuel in the tank when I filled up.

the gauge is grossly inaccurate. far more than any other vehicle I have ever owned, and I have literally owned close to 30.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fox944
I have literally driven over 50 Miles with Zero Range. still had nearly a gallon of fuel in the tank when I filled up.
I suggest that you take your car in for warranty work as the numbers you are reporting are way out of range.

I just went on a 300 mile each way road trip this past weekend in my 2015 Honda FIT EX w/CVT. This was in Texas so the AC was on (Fan Speed 1-2) and ECON was enabled.

My results are:

#1 leg: 272 miles, 2 bars on fuel gauge, 8.262 gallons, 32.9 MPG
#2 leg: 314 miles, 1 bar on fuel gauge (5 miles on range), 8.902 gallons, 35.3 MPG

The second leg with the 8.9 gallons fill-up shows that the tank had 1.7 gallons left (10.6 gal tank) which works out to be about a 50 mile range till empty (which you never want to do). I personally will be looking for a gas station within no more than the next 10 miles when the range hits 5.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:25 PM
I always try to fill my tank at around 1/8th if not sooner. Is there any tangible benefit to letting the tank run down to "E" before filling?

Old 10-06-2014, 02:39 PM
just got gas with about 70 miles to go on the trip computer and about 3 click on the fuel gauge
the tank took in 7 gal.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fbones24
I always try to fill my tank at around 1/8th if not sooner. Is there any tangible benefit to letting the tank run down to "E" before filling?
Scheduling, mainly. Using more of the car's range gives you the flexibility to refuel when it's more convenient for you. I don't have many gas stations that are convenient for me to stop at, so longer range gives me a better chance to hit one of those without having to stop every couple of days.