3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Help - Odd Twang sound at 25mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Help - Odd Twang sound at 25mph

Hey all,

Hopefully the title made people understand that I'm not hearing the typical DI sound. This is completely different. Seems only to happen when the car is not fully warm (I always wait until the blue oil light turns off) and right at 25mph. It sounds like one of those twangy door stops when you first hit it with your foot but then stops faster where a door stop would continue. Like a heavy spring sound or a purge valve or something of the sort.

I have asked Honda about it but they didn't find anything in their database yet. I'll bring it in for service when I get a chance but for now I'm curious if anybody else is hearing it?

Thank you,

GR

Old 10-03-2014, 11:30 AM
sounds is impossible to diagnose just by describing..
it's best to take it to dealer or mechanic.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
I think I hear the same thing you do.

I hear it everyday when I leave work (I park in a parking garage and its echo-y, so its amplified)

I would describe it as a spring going back and forth, like a door stop.
Its not very loud. And I only hear it when going less than 20 MPH. But I've never heard it outside my parking garage after work.

With my drivers window open, I could swear its coming from the rear of the car, but like I said, its in an echo-y parking garage so its hard to tell.

Old 10-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Is it making sound when you are turning wheel going at slow speed or not moving. That could be coil bind from front suspension.
I've only experienced coil bind with coilover suspension.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
Drive faster

Old 10-05-2014, 07:13 PM
5 Year Member
Boing-twang

Chupacabra nesting in the suspension??

Old 10-05-2014, 11:12 PM
people if you got problem with your car you need to either take it to dealer or reputable mechanic to diagnose the problem. Posting about sound won't get you an answer on the forum.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:37 AM
Does your Chupacabra stereo tune the stereo to a country music station? That could explain the twang.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by kenji815
people if you got problem with your car you need to either take it to dealer or reputable mechanic to diagnose the problem. Posting about sound won't get you an answer on the forum.
You are correct but if you read my first post it was more about seeing if anybody else is hearing this sound which is EXACTLY why forums exist. To share information. If it is a common sound and 90% or more of the FITs have it then I'd expect it to not be a reason to bring it to the mechanic and pay hourly for diagnostic work.

Now come off it.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:38 PM
in general it's impossible to diagnose a problem base off sound at a mechanic or base on text description of a sound
that's why i say your better off taking it to mechanic or dealer
don't trust internet tuner online.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Door stop twang

I know the sound you are describing but haven't experienced it (yet) in my LX 6-MT .... sorry.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:44 AM
I hear it in my Fit, too.

Coming from a Prius, which makes all kinds of weird noises, I didnt pay much attention to it.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by GarthRanga
Hey all,

Hopefully the title made people understand that I'm not hearing the typical DI sound. This is completely different. Seems only to happen when the car is not fully warm (I always wait until the blue oil light turns off) and right at 25mph. It sounds like one of those twangy door stops when you first hit it with your foot but then stops faster where a door stop would continue. Like a heavy spring sound or a purge valve or something of the sort.

I have asked Honda about it but they didn't find anything in their database yet. I'll bring it in for service when I get a chance but for now I'm curious if anybody else is hearing it?

Thank you,

GR
Hello GR,

The noise you described does seem unusual. The 2015 Fit does make noise due to the recent implementation of Direct Injection. I would highly suggest visiting your local Honda dealership for a diagnosis. They will probably compare your vehicle with another like vehicle to see if this is a characteristic of the vehicle. If you are interested in bringing your vehicle in, we can review and work with you and the dealership in having the vehicle inspected. Please message me with your VIN, mileage, and dealer if you would like to proceed.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 04-12-2015, 04:01 PM
2015 Fit - Twang at 25 mph

I have a 2015 Fit LX that does the exact same thing. Just like you, only when the vehicle is not at temperature and at exactly 25 mph. Have you found out why?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:52 AM
5 Year Member
I notice the exact same thing on my CVT. In fact I stupidly just posted a new thread about it (please do not post there).

Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
me too

I also have that TWANG right at 25 MPH. I believe the control system is activating some function. Does not bother me but I know it is there. I have an EX 6 speed manual.

James

Old 04-17-2015, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Before I had my Fit, I had a 2010 Nissan Versa that the daughter drives now and it did an ABS check right about 20 mph that made a strange noise.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
I hear that sound at 25MPH when engine is cold (blue light on) in my CVT as well. It does not do it after restarting the car once warmed up. Perhaps it is the TPMS or ABS calibration function?

Old 04-21-2015, 06:47 PM
TPMS calibration wouldn't cause any noise—it's purely an electronic system, just some programming of the computer and a dashboard light. ABS noises are valves and a pump, and any initializing/reset activity would take place when you first start the car, not when you reach exactly 25 MPH.

A very very long shot: is it the doors auto-locking? Or do you maybe have friends who play the banjo and enjoy practical jokes?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Is there something mechanical that pivots or swings that happens to ping or twang around 25 mpg while accelerating? I can't recall if I've ever heard it more than once on my first trip after the car has sat for several hours.

Quick Reply: Help - Odd Twang sound at 25mph