3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How much does your dealer charge for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
Seems like there are 1-2 people in this thread that just like to put down dealerships. not all are the same. Ive been in the service side of dealerships for over 15 years. In that time Ive seen and heard it all.
If you come for service at my dealership a car that uses 0W20 oil will cost $39.95 to do a oil change. Honda corporate requires a Multi Point Inspection to be offered to every customer that visits the service dept. I offer it to everyone and give them the option to opt out if they choose.
Anything that is recommended by a tech I can, and have, shown customers so there is no questions about the needed repairs. If your local come on by Id love to chat with a fellow Fit owner. I will even give you a free oil change and let you see how a mpi is performed.....
I live in Silver Spring, MD. Honda Fit LX 2015 CVT
I need my 2nd oil change.
70-years young, but not about to change my own oil.

I've been searching this forum for 20 minutes, because I was asked at a gas station & auto body shop whether I wanted synthetic $90 or regular $55 oil change, and these choices and prices were a shock for me. When I said my Honda manual suggests:
"Premium Grade 0W-20 detergent oil with API seal on container; you MAY use synthetic oil" he said that 0W-20 was not easily available.

What dealer do you work at?

All,
Do I need synthetic oil changes for the 2015 Honda Fit?
I bought my car at a dealer where I won't be taking it for service, since it's a bit far away. I had my 1998 Honda Civic serviced at Murray's Auto Clinic in Silver Spring and I had oil changes at any gas station I happened upon. But with this new Honda Fit, I'd like to do the right thing, but not waste money if synthetic is unnecessary.

Help? Advice?
Thanks, - Etana

Last edited by etana; 06-27-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Wow those prices are outrageous! You can buy a 5 quart jug of synthetic oil at Walmart for $25. If a shop says 0W-20 is not easily available, drive away quickly! In the Fit, you only need 3.5 quarts so you'll have extra for next time! The filter can be bought for $6-10. It takes less than 30 minutes if you take your time, less if you're in a rush.

I personally go with synthetic on this Honda as it's my commuter car and I put a lot of miles on it. On my 2004 4Runner, it's conventional only.

I understand if you don't want to do it yourself, but there are shops like Firestone that can do a full synthetic change for less than $90.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
FWIW: 1st oil change for my '16 LX. Found an online coupon for a dealer, $19.95 for the synthetic oil change. Out the door with tax and environmental disposal fee, $23, and they threw in a free car wash. Not sure I could have done it cheaper myself.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
FWIW: 1st oil change for my '16 LX. Found an online coupon for a dealer, $19.95 for the synthetic oil change. Out the door with tax and environmental disposal fee, $23, and they threw in a free car wash. Not sure I could have done it cheaper myself.
What dealer was that? That's a great price.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
All-Star Honda in Milwaukee on S. 27th, where the old Boyland Honda used to be.

Russ Darrow Honda on the NW side of Milw. also has an online coupon for a couple bucks more.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by etana
I've been searching this forum for 20 minutes, because I was asked at a gas station & auto body shop whether I wanted synthetic $90 or regular $55 oil change, ..........
Is 0W20 even available as a regular oil? I thought that grade was only synthetic or maybe semi-synthetic.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
All-Star Honda in Milwaukee on S. 27th, where the old Boyland Honda used to be.

Russ Darrow Honda on the NW side of Milw. also has an online coupon for a couple bucks more.
Excellent, thanks for the tip. I just printed All Star's coupon, doesn't appear to be an expiration date which is great since I'm not due for an oil change for 2-3 months. Were you happy with their service? Any issues with the plastic skid plate under the engine bay?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
There's only semi-syn or full synthetic for 0w-20 . Honda Genuine is available as a semi-syn or full . That's produced by Conoco Phillips ( KENDALL , MOTORCRAFT , etc. ) . Here are some current rebates for MOBIL and PENNZOIL synthetics or conventional . Synthetic Motor Oil from Natural Gas | Pennzoil PurePlus | United States and click on PROMOTIONS . Rebates for MOBIL go to , https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions and https://mobiloil.com/en/my-account/s...tGetOilCoupons .

Last edited by Odie; 06-29-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:46 AM
You guys are making the Honda dealers sound like they're some sketchy back alley buy-here-pay-here dealer. Jeez I'd like to think that a dealer would do the job right.

Anyways, the dealer I bought my car from charges some $50, no freebies. The dealer I started going to since I moved charges $40 and gives you a free car wash (although it is a "soft touch" not a touchless :/ )

Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Excellent, thanks for the tip. I just printed All Star's coupon, doesn't appear to be an expiration date which is great since I'm not due for an oil change for 2-3 months. Were you happy with their service? Any issues with the plastic skid plate under the engine bay?
I was there about 45 min., but I had made an appt at 5pm online for a 7pm arrival and they were busy, got out about 7:45. No issues with the skid plate.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by esnave09
Jeez I'd like to think that a dealer would do the job right.
I'd like to think that, but the facts have convinced me otherwise. Unless it's a recall repair, I get my Fit serviced at an independent shop run by a Honda-certified mechanic. It's cheaper, and he's much more competent and reliable than the shop at the dealership where I bought the car.

Old 01-12-2021, 09:46 AM
What a ripoff - my Stealer wants a minimum of $47.47 for an oil change - fees and Synthetic oil is extra. That's why I change my own oil...

Old 01-12-2021, 10:22 AM
My Fit came with free oil changes for life through Honda.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by NWCH
My Fit came with free oil changes for life through Honda.
That's awesome to have free oil changes - any stipulations or requirements (is this for a powertrain warranty?)

Old 01-12-2021, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Dealer Oil Change Price

$47.39 was my most recent charge for an oil change. I have no problem paying this. There's a deal on 3 oil changes for a discounted price which I'm seriously considering on taking.

Old 01-12-2021, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jazu
That's awesome to have free oil changes - any stipulations or requirements (is this for a powertrain warranty?)
No it was just part of the sales package they were offering when we purchased the car new in 2018. Super handy and we take full advantage of it.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:14 PM
5 Year Member
Free Honda Dealer Oil Changes For The Life Of Your Fit.

Originally Posted by NWCH
No it was just part of the sales package they were offering when we purchased the car new in 2018. Super handy and we take full advantage of it.
So these "Free Oil Changes" weren't free since you stated it was part of the sales package with the purchase of your Fit. You might have been charged for a certain amount of times you get these oil changes albeit at a discounted rate. I'm just wondering if you will still have your Fit to the point when the oil changes become an expense to the dealer.

Old 01-12-2021, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by Chitown Fit
So these "Free Oil Changes" weren't free since you stated it was part of the sales package with the purchase of your Fit. You might have been charged for a certain amount of times you get these oil changes albeit at a discounted rate. I'm just wondering if you will still have your Fit to the point when the oil changes become an expense to the dealer.
Actually we bought the car under market price back at the end of 2018 on close out. They offer free oil changes for life on all of their vehicles when purchased new and serviced through their dealership. It's meant to keep customers coming back on a regular basis. No upcharges, no hidden fees. I could care less how they do it but it's saved us plenty of money so far. And it works for them, because they service all of my other Honda's also. Win-win for both parties.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
been getting my 0w-20 mobil 1 at Cosco , boxes of 6 , comes out to six and change per quart , i do the oil changes for my fit and a friend of mine's two scions .
around 6000 miles between changes , at that price it's a no -brainer .

Old 01-13-2021, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, I dunno, maybe around $50 for full service with synth and tire rotation.....was using them while I was still under warranty. Interestingly enough, I bought the car CPO, had the oil changed several times, they never mentioned nor tried to sell a replacement for the under body plastic shield that was gone when I bought it. Have never had any issues with our Fit, so, have no issues with the dealer......other than the salesman who strung me along showing me this and that Fit, when all I wanted was a manual trans LX ....miraculously, he "found" one as I was ready to walk. I didn't want a black car, but......the manual trumped the color.

Quick Reply: How much does your dealer charge for an oil change?