3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

How much does your dealer charge for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
How much does your dealer charge for an oil change?

Specifically for Honda's full synthetic 0W20 and filter. Yes, I know I can DIY better/cheaper, but I'd like to do a quick survey. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Never let a dealer do it...or anyone else, for that matter. You don't know what they put in it or often if they even did it. Do it yourself...10 minute job and easy.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Dealer gave me without asking one free oil change, than as I have done with my other purchases, requested at least three free oil changes at point of sale, and of course they gave it to me...Why not, I'm paying a bunch for the car. So for me, no out of pocket for oil jobs. Many of use however do not have the tools or place (Apartments) to perform doing it yourself. But I do use the dealership making sure its done in case of some warranty work later and they want to know if I have done it. I know, keep the receipts from other places other than the dealership

Last edited by SR45; 10-07-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:35 PM
My salesman said if I just come by and say hello he would give me free oil changes. lets see how that works out.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Stingray
Never let a dealer do it...or anyone else, for that matter. You don't know what they put in it or often if they even did it. Do it yourself...10 minute job and easy.
Good advice....you also don't know how long a dealer will let the old oil drain, or if they even change the filter. They are paid by the time they spend (rather the time they don't spend), on each job. I will be teaching my daughter how to change her own oil. Now whether or not she does it in the future is her decision, but if she doesn't, it won't be because she did not know how.

Along the same lines, I will teach her how to rotate her own tires at the same time. That will not only prepare her should she ever have a flat, but get the max life from her tires as well.

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-07-2014 at 01:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 PM
First oil change is free for me. With my contact at Honda hooking me up its about $22 bucks roughly for an oil change with filter. If I need the tires rotated they charge more obviously. I rotate every 10k miles. I have a jack at home but for the matter of convenience of me just walking in without an appointment, I'm usually out in 20 minutes or so at the dealer.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:26 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
4 quarts of royal purple at 8 bucks a quart. 13 dollars for a royal purple synthetic filter (yes i also feel like its overkill but i like it so i do it) 5 bucks worth of tools and 20 min of your time. If you don't know how to do it DM me and ill give you step by step. NEVER go to a dealership for this again you're getting raped.... that being said for conventional my dealership used to be like 35 dollars. Synthetic i think was 55.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
$25 bucks of full synthetic oil plus oil filter and less than 15 minutes of my time.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Stingray
Really? I've always purchased used before (and then DIY), but I had 7 oil changes and 3 annual inspections included with my new Fit purchase. Isn't that a good idea in case of warranty issues down the road?

Sincere question.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:53 PM
I've always let the dealer perform oil changes because Rahal's prices are competitive with even DIY prices, I don't have a garage, and I don't have to deal with disposal. Plus they wash and vacuum the car. I've never had a bad experience with the Bobby Rahal dealerships. Standard oil changes are around $23 and synthetic is around $50.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Jay and BG1985. Reasonable prices, IMO. I changed my own oil for nearly 40 years but that stopped 12 years ago when I had to start dealing with and disposing of 15 quarts. It's been worth the $100 or so to let the dealer do it and I've had a pretty good experience with that.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:56 PM
used to do it myself. the 10min some folks here are claiming is not happening. putting the car up on jack stands alone will require as much time if not more. that said, the cost at the dealership using vs me buying the parts and doing it myself is negligible. so I don't bother dealing with changing oil myself, getting dirty, and then having to dispose of old oil.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fox944
used to do it myself. the 10min some folks here are claiming is not happening. putting the car up on jack stands alone will require as much time if not more. that said, the cost at the dealership using vs me buying the parts and doing it myself is negligible. so I don't bother dealing with changing oil myself, getting dirty, and then having to dispose of old oil.
not sure what mods you have done to your car but on my gd3 i don't even need to jack it up its all completely accessible. the ge or gk may be a lot lower or you may be on springs. either way jack stands is an extra ten min. either way its your money do what you want. for the same price that the dealer charges to do an oil change with conventional you can do one with mobil1 if you just take the time.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:08 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TopJimmy5150
I've always let the dealer perform oil changes because Rahal's prices are competitive with even DIY prices, I don't have a garage, and I don't have to deal with disposal. Plus they wash and vacuum the car. I've never had a bad experience with the Bobby Rahal dealerships. Standard oil changes are around $23 and synthetic is around $50.
you can get 5 quarts of mobil 1 and a 7 dollar synthetic filter at walmart for $30 bucks.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
you can get 5 quarts of mobil 1 and a 7 dollar synthetic filter at walmart for $30 bucks.
Not to mention the fact if you do it yourself, you won't have the dealer running your car through their carwash, and polluting the finish with swirl marks.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:52 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Not to mention the fact if you do it yourself, you won't have the dealer running your car through their carwash, and polluting the finish with swirl marks.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Good advice....you also don't know how long a dealer will let the old oil drain, or if they even change the filter. They are paid by the time they spend (rather the time they don't spend), on each job. I will be teaching my daughter how to change her own oil. Now whether or not she does it in the future is her decision, but if she doesn't, it won't be because she did not know how.

Along the same lines, I will teach her how to rotate her own tires at the same time. That will not only prepare her should she ever have a flat, but get the max life from her tires as well.
Good ideas

Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by lexic
Really? I've always purchased used before (and then DIY), but I had 7 oil changes and 3 annual inspections included with my new Fit purchase. Isn't that a good idea in case of warranty issues down the road?

Sincere question.
Warranty has nothing to do with the dealer doing the change. (law). Example: my Chevy dealer offered me 3 years of oil changes on my Camaro. GM requires Dexox1 oil for warranty. I asked the dealer to verify the oil he was supposed to put in. Said it came out of the same barrel they use for all cars, all years. Did not know what Dexos1 was, and didn't want to know. Do you really want some fool like that putting who knows what in your car?

Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 AM
in India its around 20 USD (1200 INR) at my honda service center.

i get it changed after 6200 miles(10000 KM).

Old 10-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by singhonwheels
in India its around 20 USD (1200 INR) at my honda service center.

i get it changed after 6200 miles(10000 KM).
Not a bad price

Quick Reply: How much does your dealer charge for an oil change?