3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Made in Mexico = Buyers Remorse?

Old 10-13-2014, 07:57 AM
Made in Mexico = Buyers Remorse?

Only had it a week and front grill is falling off....

Right side showing the defect:

Left side showing what it's supposed to look like:
Name:  20141013_073933_zpsf52e86f3.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  50.6 KB

Attempts to push the grill clip back into the body are a no go, so I guess it's back to the dealership for warranty work. I have to say I was really was conflicted on buying this one because I do love Honda for their reliability, but noticing the Fit is now being produced in Mexico made me cringe. Anyone else experiencing defects already?

Last edited by FloridaFitFreak; 10-13-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member
Nothing so far - but my wife hasn't got 500 miles on it yet

Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
There's this one huge thread that people post in all the time.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...s-new-fit.html

So yeah, people are having issues.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 AM
i suggest you include your last 5-6 digit of your VIN so we can document if your car is early or late model
there tended to be more problem on early production

Old 10-13-2014, 11:41 AM
This issues of fit and finish are indeed unfortunate. I suspect it has nothing to do with Mexico, though, and more to do with the teething pains of an entirely new production facility/new model. I am optimistic that they will work all these issues out.

I have an '03 Ford assembled in Mexico, and despite being a Ford (not my favourite make-got a good deal used), it has had no quality issues at all.

Oh, and on a side note - the 2009-2014 Fit was built in China for the Canadian Market. I think Mexico is a step up in terms of human rights, environmental/labour standards, and a more equitable balance of trade.

Last edited by Canoehead; 10-13-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Canoehead
This issues of fit and finish are indeed unfortunate. I suspect it has nothing to do with Mexico, though, and more to do with the teething pains of an entirely new production facility/new model. I am optimistic that they will work all these issues out.

I have an '03 Ford assembled in Mexico, and despite being a Ford (not my favourite make-got a good deal used), it has had no quality issues at all.

Oh, and on a side note - the 2009-2014 Fit was built in China for the Canadian Market. I think Mexico is a step up in terms of human rights, environmental/labour standards, and a more equitable balance of trade.
Agree. Mine is an early production car , and it has been perfect, except for the bumper beam recall, which was done. Other than that, it has exceeded my expectations. Better than my previous Japanese built Fit.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Canoehead
+1
There's an old car saying along the lines that you should never buy a new car in the first year of manufacture after a major redesign. Give the manufacturer a year to work out the problems that crop up, and buy the car in it's second year when most of the stuff has been fixed. In this case it's also a brand new factory starting up with new workers compounding the problem.

That being said in reading the posts here over the last while I'm not really seeing much in the way of real issues that would bother me other than maybe the paint problems where Honda seems to have simply cheaped out.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
What Stingray said.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by FloridaFitFreak
Only had it a week and front grill is falling off....

Right side showing the defect:
The dealer is going to look under that grille for scratches and if they find any will claim that you damaged the grille by reversing over a curb or somesuch. Before you take it in check for scratches and if there aren't any document the fact by taking pictures. Be sure that the dealer knows that you are aware that there are no scratches there.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:44 PM
1. I never buy anything built in Mexico
2. Maybe even more important I never buy the 1st year a new market come for sale. I did this with a 2000 s2000 for which I learned a hard lesson.

Buy a new car after the bugs have been removed after year one. Car companies cant fix what's not reported by complaints customers bring forth. But I find the 13' FIT is bringing forth a lot more issues that previous models they've made. The only thing different was where this car was built. But this thread again keeps me being thankful I bought the 13' FIT.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:20 PM
No scratches on or under the car. The mechanic came out, popped it back in, and said they'll order another part it does it again. Seeing as how it doesn't look right to me, I'm sure it'll pop out again by the end of the week.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
How is it attached? From the picture it appears to be held in by glue and not clips?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 PM
Early production for me as well, and absolutely no issues yet (hope) except that the earlier ones had to get that bumper update for the better crash rating.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Engine Mexico, tran Indonesia

Just bought a fit today, and I noticed it said the engine was made in Mexico and the transmission is from Indonesia. I know on other fit freak threads there was discussion on where the engines were from.

Cuz of this site, I did look at it head to toe before I signed on the dotted line. I didn't find any problems with the gaskets, paint, door alignment, etc.

Hopefully it stays that way.

And the last 5 of my vin are in the high 23000s.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:46 PM
Was about to buy a wop ex-l w/ navi and noticed that the rear hatch had been removed to gain access for repaint. Not sure. The protective white plastic to cover the roof during transit was also peeled back a little where the roof meets the hatch. Found over spray around and on the tail lights and on the black plastic strips on the roof as well as rough texture over various parts of the car. They didn't even bother to touch up the bolt heads connecting the rear hatch to the body.

Sunroof was misaligned, the rear section was not flush to the top of the roof at the trailing edge. I spotted all this in my first ten minutes of looking at the car.

I slowly stepped away from the car and waited for another car to come in..........

Old 10-13-2014, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
We've had ours for about 10 weeks and have put about 1,900 miles on it. No issues at all with ours so far. We love it! VIN # in the mid 14,000.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Silkenfit
Just bought a fit today, and I noticed it said the engine was made in Mexico and the transmission is from Indonesia. I know on other fit freak threads there was discussion on where the engines were from.

Cuz of this site, I did look at it head to toe before I signed on the dotted line. I didn't find any problems with the gaskets, paint, door alignment, etc.

Hopefully it stays that way.

And the last 5 of my vin are in the high 23000s.
Our engine was also made in Mexico, and our transmission in Indonesia. I think the story I read was that Honda is currently building a new factory next to the existing assembly plant, for building the transmission in Mexico as well (ready for the 2016 model).

There was some discussion that people who were waiting for 2016, might be better served with the 2015 model, for that very reason. It is one thing to change a bumper beam, or a radio camera screen, but an entire transmission?

Our VIN is in the mid 14,000 range, and aside from the need to change out our radio/screen, we have been very happy with the car and the support from Honda customer care. No regrets!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
There was some discussion that people who were waiting for 2016, might be better served with the 2015 model, for that very reason. It is one thing to change a bumper beam, or a radio camera screen, but an entire transmission?
That was my thinking when debating on getting this first year of the model cycle. The transmission was already coming from a longstanding factory (my manual came from the Philippines), and the design of this model was already assembled in other factories. I'd be much more weary of a transmission coming off a new factory line than a car assembly.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
i would gladly trade my runability issues for fitment issues like others have had. right now, i am 100% regretting my decision to buy this thing.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Made in Mexico comment

Just bought our new 2015 fit EX model a little over 2 weeks ago. We traded it in for a 2010 Fit Sport we bought new in the summer of 2010 and drove that one more than 106,000 miles. No problems with the new one. I studied for many months the development of this new design before buying. I have a cousin in Ohio, now retired, who was one of the Vice Presidents of Honda America for a few years and asked her about a couple of posts I read in forums about the new Fit being assembled in Mexico and the concerns about quality control. She emphatically stated that the specs are exactly the same whether the car is assembled in the USA or Mexico or Japan or anywhere. There is no difference. The managers who oversee the workers are usually foreigners from factories in the USA and Japan and quality control is never compromised.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Made in Mexico = Buyers Remorse?