3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Made in Mexico = Buyers Remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ron Belisle
I have a cousin in Ohio, now retired, who was one of the Vice Presidents of Honda America for a few years and asked her about...the new Fit being assembled in Mexico and the concerns about quality control...There is no difference...quality control is never compromised.
ok, as long as she said it was fine, then we all should be good...

i have had 2 HUGE problems that the previous gen fits did not have. that alone proves otherwise to your cousin's claims that there is no difference.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:01 PM
I have a 2008 Odyssey EX-L. I believe these are built in Ohio...the van was bereft with poor fit and finish issues with the interior. As a matter of fact, one issue (a panel under the dash on the passenger side) was only recently rectified. There is a difference in build quality from factory to factory. However, the van now has 140,000 miles on it, and it has towed a 17 ft/3500 lbs RV behind it 6 or 7 weekends a year + 10 hour drive to Cape Cod and back 3 times. The van runs like it did the day we bought it and is really only starting to feel broken in.

My point? These cars are built by people and people are imperfect. I'm not trying to belittle the problems people are having with their new Fits, but my first reaction to reading these posts was to go out and look at mine and hunt down flaws. That will make you crazy. Enjoy your Fits, folks!

On a related note, I was unable to find any flaws on my Fit. I did, however find a small plastic piece from the rear drivers side door that came off in my hand, but it snapped right back on and I was unable to make it come back off.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 PM
I have a cousin in Ohio, now retired, who was one of the Vice Presidents of Honda America for a few years and asked her about a couple of posts I read in forums about the new Fit being assembled in Mexico and the concerns about quality control. She emphatically stated that the specs are exactly the same whether the car is assembled in the USA or Mexico or Japan or anywhere.
The specs may be the same, but how they are applied seems to have changed. Honda has admitted that this factory relies more on manual labor than the Japanese factory. If robots are doing the assembly, the parts have to be right. Humans can "bash to fit" and it shows in the finished product There are also problems with excessive dust around the factory, something that wouldn't have been tolerated in Japan. New cars were stored under these conditions for months waiting for rework.

I think that, for Honda, it is a case of "out of sight, out of mind" and they are paying the price now.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Quick update: took the car back to the dealership and had an amazing service (better than any service I EVER had on my 2013 Wrangler Rubicon). Grill was deemed defective and was replaced. Service rep was very apologetic and I was given a free rental for the day while they made the repair

Old 10-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Also, the dealership I bought the car at mailed me gourmet cookies as a thank you for buying the car... a definite first for me.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by FloridaFitFreak
.....had an amazing service......rep was very apologetic......given a free rental......
Its assuring to know that there are "good" dealers out there. Bear in mind that Honda CS, may have prompted this reaction. Nevertheless, the initial issue (bumper grill) is completely addressed without much inconvinience on your part.

Originally Posted by FloridaFitFreak
......mailed me gourmet cookies....a definite first for me.
The closest thing to cookies I ever got from my selling dealer was the freebie keychain. Yours deserves 10's when the Customer Satisfaction Survery gives you a call!!!

Old 10-17-2014, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Just bought our new 2015 fit EX model a little over 2 weeks ago. We traded it in for a 2010 Fit Sport we bought new in the summer of 2010 and drove that one more than 106,000 miles. No problems with the new one. I studied for many months the development of this new design before buying. I have a cousin in Ohio, now retired, who was one of the Vice Presidents of Honda America for a few years and asked her about a couple of posts I read in forums about the new Fit being assembled in Mexico and the concerns about quality control. She emphatically stated that the specs are exactly the same whether the car is assembled in the USA or Mexico or Japan or anywhere. There is no difference. The managers who oversee the workers are usually foreigners from factories in the USA and Japan and quality control is never compromised.
Considering the job Honda of America has done with the bastardization of the Accord/Civic and the blunders that are the Pilot/Ridgeline....HoA has done nothing to instill confidence in anyone.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 PM
I picked up my Fit in July. I've had some issues. . . paint defect in the driver door, weatherstripping pulling away from body frame, strange white markings left on the door jambs, miscellaneous piece of foam lying on top of the engine, not to mention poor overall dealer preparation of the car (which I realize truly isn't Honda's fault). All-in-all it's been a disappointing new car experience and I do second-guess my choice. My first choice was going to be a Civic and sometimes I wish I had stayed with that choice. But, so far the car is running really well and the fuel mileage is outstanding. And I do like the cargo carrying capacity.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Canoehead

Oh, and on a side note - the 2009-2014 Fit was built in China for the Canadian Market. I think Mexico is a step up in terms of human rights, environmental/labour standards, and a more equitable balance of trade.
++ reputation.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Canoehead
Oh, and on a side note - the 2009-2014 Fit was built in China for the Canadian Market. I think Mexico is a step up in terms of human rights, environmental/labour standards, and a more equitable balance of trade.
Originally Posted by acter
++ reputation.
Except that he's wrong. My 2009 Fit was made in Japan. I believe they continued to be made in Japan for 2010 as well. In 2011, the Canadian market fits were made in China, but I can't remember off the top of my head when the switch happened for US bound fits.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Except that he's wrong. My 2009 Fit was made in Japan. I believe they continued to be made in Japan for 2010 as well. In 2011, the Canadian market fits were made in China, but I can't remember off the top of my head when the switch happened for US bound fits.
I believe they were all Japan-made for US bound fits right up through the 2013 model year. Canada was made in Japan up until 2011 model year (the gf had a 2011 Fit that was made in Japan), and then Chinese-made for model years 2012-2014.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hampton1
I believe they were all Japan-made for US bound fits right up through the 2013 model year. Canada was made in Japan up until 2011 model year (the gf had a 2011 Fit that was made in Japan), and then Chinese-made for model years 2012-2014.
Thank you...couldn't remember the exact change over date.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the correction. I don't know where I got the impression it was only 2007-2008, but it is good to know Japan produced until 2010. Apologies for any inconvenience my error may have caused.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:21 AM

You missed the point of my post, which was aimed at the last half of his sentence.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Woof:

What are the paint issues that you know of or read about?

Thanks!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsc
Woof:

Thanks!
No issues with our White Orchid Pearl - looks great with no blemishes

Build date 08/14

Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jmsc
Woof:

Thanks!
There's a lot of posts on paint issues with no real consistency. You'd have to do a search on "paint" and then spend a lot of time filtering through them. Some examples:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...nt-issues.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...t-blemish.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...-l-w-navi.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...nt-issues.html