Fit Exterior Modifications & JDM Styling Discussions about about exterior modifications, body-work, body-kits and JDM body styling

Homemade Grill?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
Question Homemade Grill?

Has anyone thought about making their own front grill? I'm thinking of some kind of insert. I don't want to replace body panels or bumpers.

I don't mind the stock grill. I prefer the accessory Sport Grill (if it were painted the body color.) But I would really like something different.

I'm looking for ideas about materials, shapes, components, starting points from the aftermarket, etc.

Last edited by ABuckFitty; 03-19-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 PM
This is something I have been thinking about doing.

I found a book this weekend at Borders (book store) about customizing cars and it had a section on making a custom grill. I didn't get the book, i might later, but from what I saw you basically just want to mold the mesh to the same curves as what the stock has so it will fit. Didn't look too hard to do.

I found this site Welcome to customcargrills.com which has some generic grill material that you can buy. I might order a sample pack.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Old 03-19-2007, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
customcargrills.com is great. I ordered some strips to replace the home depot ones i used in the prior post (Home Depot Grill Part 2 - mine is the VBP).

I wanted to get something with a smaller hole and found just the right one. have to use a heat gun to remove the old grill this weekend and i will put the new one on.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 AM
5 Year Member
Don't this the wrong way cause you each did a great job, but wire mesh has been around for so long, it's really ol'skool. I remember working a summer job in '83 and one of the other guys doin' this to his '78 Celica.

I was hoping someone had made a v-shaped grill or something with slats, above the bumper. I've seen a number of things done for the RSX and TSX. There are tons of things for the tC and the WRX too. And where do I start with pick'm-up trucks. I guess I'm gonna have to do some photochoppin' tomorrow.

What gets me is the number of grills incorporated into complete bumpers instead of inserts. A insert would be easier to make and cheaper to manufacture and appeal to a wider group. It could be chrome, flat black or prepainted.

You guys have any ideas for shapes or materials or designs?