3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Squeaking Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Squeaking Sound

Not too long after I got my Fit back in October, I noticed that when I went over a bumpy road I hear a squeaking sound, almost like a bird chirping type of sound.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:03 AM
5 Year Member
Can you duplicate the sound (parked in your driveway) by pushing up and down on the car at each fender (effectively simulating the car going over bumps)? Or is the sound speed-dependent?

es

Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by stembridge
Can you duplicate the sound (parked in your driveway) by pushing up and down on the car at each fender (effectively simulating the car going over bumps)? Or is the sound speed-dependent?

es
While I haven't been able to test it yet when it is parked by pushing up and down on each fender, I can say it is not speed dependent and never occurs unless there is a bumpy road.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by stembridge

es
My car actually sounds like quite squeaky when doing this (pushing down at the rear side doors). it did just snow so im thinking maybe the salt made it creaky.....the car only has 2k on it so I can't imagine the shocks are blown out?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:46 AM
The sound seems to come from the dashboard area, but I haven't pinpointed it to be honest. My wife and I have tried to discern the general location, but as can be imagined it has proven quite difficult while the car is moving over a bumpy road.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
More than likely you have a panel or two that are flexing enough on bumpy roads to chirp. I have about 3500 miles on my car right now, and it's still quiet, even on our horrible rural Illinois roads. My former '13 Beetle was getting very rattle and squeaky at only 18 months old (one of the smaller factors in my decision to replace it).

es

Old 11-24-2014, 05:20 PM
I confirmed today that the sounds is coming from the steering wheel assembly itself. When I turn the wheel sometimes I can hear a slight ticking sound and when I push downward on the steering wheel I hear the creaking sound as well.

Guess I will be making an appointment with my Honda dealership...

Old 11-24-2014, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for reporting back on what you found!

es

Old 11-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by kaikou
I confirmed today that the sounds is coming from the steering wheel assembly itself. When I turn the wheel sometimes I can hear a slight ticking sound and when I push downward on the steering wheel I hear the creaking sound as well.

Guess I will be making an appointment with my Honda dealership...
Kaikou,

Sorry to hear about this. Your concern definitely sounds very unusual. We would like to offer our assistance in helping you look into the issue. We can work with the dealership in having the concern diagnosed. If you are interested, please message us with your VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by HondaCustSvc
Kaikou,

Sorry to hear about this. Your concern definitely sounds very unusual. We would like to offer our assistance in helping you look into the issue. We can work with the dealership in having the concern diagnosed. If you are interested, please message us with your VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you.

Thank you,

Jonathan
Private message sent, thanks.

Old 11-26-2014, 10:35 AM
Not too long after I got my Fit back in October, I noticed that when I went over a bumpy road I hear a squeaking sound, almost like a bird chirping type of sound.

Could it be the hamsters under the hood don't like being jostled around?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Similar issue, maybe

Nothing to do with bumpy roads, but the only unwanted sound in my new Fit is the clutch squeaking. Happens every time I use the clutch, but if I press very slow, it's quiet. Sounds almost like a beeping tone, and hard to locate (doesn't sound like it's coming from the footwell). Did some research on this, and found the same issue with Civic SI manual owners. Widespread and apparently Honda wasn't doing anything about it.

Haven't tried adding grease yet. Not very loud and somewhat tolerable, but I'm still wondering if anyone else with a manual Fit is hearing this?

Not meaning to thread jack, but this is related and it sounds like the OP is taken care of.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:37 PM
Push your steering wheel all the way in. Mess around with the wheel position and see if the sound goes away. If moving the steering wheel gets rid of the sound I have a solution for you.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
I had a similar issue, turns out it's the rear seat in my car... if I tug at it I can make the noise happen again... if someone is sitting back there it doesn't squeak...

Old 12-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by 2bits
Nothing to do with bumpy roads, but the only unwanted sound in my new Fit is the clutch squeaking. Happens every time I use the clutch, but if I press very slow, it's quiet. Sounds almost like a beeping tone, and hard to locate (doesn't sound like it's coming from the footwell). Did some research on this, and found the same issue with Civic SI manual owners. Widespread and apparently Honda wasn't doing anything about it.

Haven't tried adding grease yet. Not very loud and somewhat tolerable, but I'm still wondering if anyone else with a manual Fit is hearing this?

Not meaning to thread jack, but this is related and it sounds like the OP is taken care of.
Yup, picked up my Fit 5 days ago and I have the exact same sound. It is silly, I know, but I haven't tried greasing it yet because I don't want to risk losing that new car smell.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
I am experiencing this on my new fit....whenever I go through a bump, I hear this bird like chirping sound on the drivers side. Sounds like under the dash....not sure. I could not duplicate it when pressing down on the vehicle. If more than one is experiencing this there must be others.....Please feel free to share any ideas and fixes.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by snorkel
Yup, picked up my Fit 5 days ago and I have the exact same sound. It is silly, I know, but I haven't tried greasing it yet because I don't want to risk losing that new car smell.
I provided follow up in a different thread. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1287867

Not a lube or grease problem.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by FitfulKenny
I am experiencing this on my new fit....whenever I go through a bump, I hear this bird like chirping sound on the drivers side. Sounds like under the dash....not sure. I could not duplicate it when pressing down on the vehicle. If more than one is experiencing this there must be others.....Please feel free to share any ideas and fixes.
Do you have a 6mt transmission?

Old 10-19-2015, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have an automatic.

Originally Posted by 2bits
Do you have a 6mt transmission?

Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
Be careful when you are pushing on your Fit..The body panels are thin!