3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by 2bits
Very happy with my Fit and it's quality except for one "issue".

Mentioned this in the "Squeaking Sound" thread, but my clutch makes a sound when I press it. I haven't done anything about it yet, but would be curious if any other 6MT owners have had a similar experience.
I wanted to check back in on the squeaking clutch problem. I've seen a couple others report the same problem in this thread and I suspect they didn't see my earlier post. I did take my car into the dealer and I'm happy now. The dealer quickly diagnosed it as a rubbing tension spring ("rubbing on itself") for the clutch pedal. They fixed it by "spacing the spring out". Since not everyone has this issue, it's safe to say that the spring installation was not correct.

They also lubricated the spring. I'm not sure why this is necessary if spacing out the spring removes the rub.

If your clutch starts squeaking a day after the dealer "fixed" it, check the service record to see if they did anything more than just lubing it. If that's all they did, they did not correctly diagnose the problem. Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:31 AM
I wanted to check back in on the squeaking clutch problem. I've seen a couple others report the same problem in this thread and I suspect they didn't see my earlier post. I did take my car into the dealer and I'm happy now. The dealer quickly diagnosed it as a rubbing tension spring ("rubbing on itself") for the clutch pedal. They fixed it by "spacing the spring out". Since not everyone has this issue, it's safe to say that the spring installation was not correct.

They also lubricated the spring. I'm not sure why this is necessary if spacing out the spring removes the rub.

If your clutch starts squeaking a day after the dealer "fixed" it, check the service record to see if they did anything more than just lubing it. If that's all they did, they did not correctly diagnose the problem. Hope this helps.
Thank you for that info. Mine is one of the Fits with a squeaking clutch pedal and after two visits to the dealer, it's still doing it. Common logic says that the pedal and spring just need some WD-40.

You just potentially saved some hassles and I'll inform the dealer when the car goes back in again for another issue this week. Thank you so much!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:36 PM
A quick sanity check here: I've noticed that after I start the car, back out, and start lightly accelerating away I hear a noise come from under the hood at just below 25mph. A light thunk. You have to have the radio off to get it to happen but it is definitely there. It is so consistent that I have to wonder if it is normal operation that I'm just being overly paranoid about but i can't think of anything that would be doing such a thing only for the first forward acceleration after starting the car and backing it up a bit.

Is this a noise others with the CVT hear or is it something that warrants pestering the dealer when I get my actual plates?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member

I have this squeak from the clutch pedal spring too, haven't had time to look at it yet. What the heck is spacing the spring out.....the spring has two ends in which it attaches, those ends are fix as far as I know but haven't looked.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Dash rattle, drivetrain noise

So I've had my 2015 Fit Ex 6 spd for about 5 months now and issues have started popping up. On moderately rough roads I'm hearing a creaking rattling sound coming from the driver side dash area. I can't tell if it's the plastic shrouding around the glass on the exterior or something under the dash on the interior. When it rains it seems that it goes away which leads me to believe it's something exterior. Has anyone else had any issues or resolved this same problem.
Second Issue: when the car warms up and I'm stopped, I'll disengage the clutch while in 1st gear and hear creaking coming from the drivetrain I believe. Could this be loose components, ball joints, control arms or something within the transmission. I haven't taken it to the dealer but I'm sure they won't hear anything and tell me it's fine. Anyone have the same kind of thing with their 6spd got?
Third issue: yes my rear fabric fender liners are drooping and don't fit the wheel well at all. I took it to the dealer a week after purchase and he told me they designed them that way, I laughed and said "you can't be serious?!?" Honda has to be coming up with a fix for this hopefully as I've read numerous complaints about the same problem.
There have also been little fit and finish problems which I never would have expected from a new Honda. Guess I should have waited a year for them to work the kinks out of the ne Celaya Mexican plant.
Thanks guys!

Old 01-21-2015, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shifty Pony
A quick sanity check here: I've noticed that after I start the car, back out, and start lightly accelerating away I hear a noise come from under the hood at just below 25mph. A light thunk. You have to have the radio off to get it to happen but it is definitely there. It is so consistent that I have to wonder if it is normal operation that I'm just being overly paranoid about but i can't think of anything that would be doing such a thing only for the first forward acceleration after starting the car and backing it up a bit.

Is this a noise others with the CVT hear or is it something that warrants pestering the dealer when I get my actual plates?
I have noticed this noise also, just as you describe, since day one (10/29/2014). I think it is normal but can't imagine what would cause it either. May have to look into sometime but it really doesn't seem to be an issue for now.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Shifty Pony
A quick sanity check here: I've noticed that after I start the car, back out, and start lightly accelerating away I hear a noise come from under the hood at just below 25mph....
It's probably the ABS. Most cars do it at lower speed, though, and not all audibly.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 PM
To all of the Fit Freaks that are having issues,

We would like to apologize if you are experiencing any issues with your brand new Honda Fit. If you had brought your vehicle into the dealership regarding an issue and would like further assistance on it please do not hesitate to send me a PM with your full name, concern, VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you. We would like to help every owner resolve their concerns with their vehicle within a timely manner.

Regarding the fender liner issue, we are aware of the issue and acknowledge that owners have complained about it. We highly suggest customers who are experiencing the issue to bring it to their local Honda dealership for a diagnosis to have it documented.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by festiboi
Thank you for that info. Mine is one of the Fits with a squeaking clutch pedal and after two visits to the dealer, it's still doing it. Common logic says that the pedal and spring just need some WD-40.

You just potentially saved some hassles and I'll inform the dealer when the car goes back in again for another issue this week. Thank you so much!

I'm having this problem as well - so just take it to the dealer and they'll take care of it? Will call and see...

Old 01-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by HondaCustSvc
To all of the Fit Freaks that are having issues,

We would like to apologize if you are experiencing any issues with your brand new Honda Fit. If you had brought your vehicle into the dealership regarding an issue and would like further assistance on it please do not hesitate to send me a PM with your full name, concern, VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you. We would like to help every owner resolve their concerns with their vehicle within a timely manner.

Regarding the fender liner issue, we are aware of the issue and acknowledge that owners have complained about it. We highly suggest customers who are experiencing the issue to bring it to their local Honda dealership for a diagnosis to have it documented.

Thank you,

Jonathan

That's nice to hear Jonathan. So far, I haven't been at all impressed with my first Honda, and it will probably be my last. Even though the product has been subpar, the service from my dealership has been great, and it is very nice to see that you guys are on here and taking note of quality issues. Kudos to Honda for that!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Let me see if I get this right. Honda wants its customers to make an appointment and then, at the dealer's convenience and on their own time take their car in for a "diagnosis" just to document a problem that Honda already knows exists?

Honda has hundreds of cars available at the factory and dealers to examine. They have engineers and professional inspectors that can look at these cars.

This sounds like an auto manufacturer's equivalent of "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning." Not a very classy move on Honda's part.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Let me see if I get this right. Honda wants its customers to make an appointment and then, at the dealer's convenience and on their own time take their car in for a "diagnosis" just to document a problem that Honda already knows exists?

Honda has hundreds of cars available at the factory and dealers to examine. They have engineers and professional inspectors that can look at these cars.

This sounds like an auto manufacturer's equivalent of "Take two aspirin and call me in the morning." Not a very classy move on Honda's part.
Quoted for truth.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:15 PM
Smile

If anyone needs some confidence-boosting, we took delivery of a '15 Fit EX in August. The dealership seemed a bit challenged by management issues, but the car, built in Mexico (I too had taken pause at the shift in manufacturing) has proven highly reliable, and virtually flawless. As for the construction quality, neither my wife nor I have detected any squeaks or rattles attributable to structural defects so far, which after 50 years of driving, remains extraordinary. I remain a Honda fan.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:42 AM
Does American Honda have an official fix for their dealers?

Old 01-26-2015, 06:17 PM
Quality Issues so far

For reference, I have an LX MT manufactured Oct 2014....VIN... FM737130...purchased 01-09-2015. As of 01-26-2015 it has 530 miles mixed driving.
Here are the quality issues I've experienced with my Fit so far. I like the car, but I am a bit suspicious now that I'm discovering these issues that a new car shouldn't have, especially a Honda.

1. The arm of the passenger side wiper vibrates when the car comes to a complete stop with the engine on. The dealer readjusted the wipers after I informed them of the problem; however, the problem was not resolved. I will mention it to the dealer again when I stop by.
2. On the driver's side, there is a gap between the dash and the A-pillar, and the piece of trim next to the small window is not flush with the rest of the dash. Others have reported this on this thread, and have taken pictures which look similar to what's going on with my Fit. The dealer has ordered the small trim piece that goes adjacent to the small window. Once the piece gets installed, I'll have to wait and see if that resolves the gap and the unevenness.
3. Condensation on rear left reverse light. Dealer replaced the tail light; however, the new piece, and the one on the other side still show some light condensation at times. According to Page 402 of the owner's manual this is normal, so maybe this a non-issue (I hope so).
4. From the rear on the driver's side near the hatch door, there is sometimes a dry thud or click that happens when, after driving, the car comes to a stop. The noise continues whether the engine is on or off. It eventually goes away, but does last a few minutes. This has only happened a few times, and, of course, it didn't make the noise when the dealer checked it out. I do have a sound recording of it, so I'll show it to the dealer next time I go there.
5. The interior cabin light (the one in the middle of the ceiling) is not even, it looks sunken in on one side. I just noticed this today when I sat on the back seat, so I will show it to the dealer next time I go.
6. This one I'm not sure if it's just paranoia or a legit issue, but I feel a very light vibration and hesitation from the transmission when I engage 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it should be a smooth transition, so is it my driving of the MT or is something amiss? Does anyone else have this? I will report it to the dealer next time I stop by.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, and please let me know if any of you have had these issues, and what the dealer has done about them. I decided on a new car for peace of mind so having these issues is a bit disappointing.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
1. The arm of the passenger side wiper vibrates when the car comes to a complete stop with the engine on. The dealer readjusted the wipers after I informed them of the problem; however, the problem was not resolved. I will mention it to the dealer again when I stop by.
Mine does that too and noticed it when I was driving the other Fit during test drive. From what I can tell it's due to the long arm length with metal being thin. There isn't much dealer can do to fix it so I just don't pay attention to it.

I kinda wished Honda used the same wiper design like the Civics but I guess it's due to the car being small.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by DArkk
Mine does that too and noticed it when I was driving the other Fit during test drive. From what I can tell it's due to the long arm length with metal being thin. There isn't much dealer can do to fix it so I just don't pay attention to it.

I kinda wished Honda used the same wiper design like the Civics but I guess it's due to the car being small.
Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one. I may just let that issue go if not much can be done about it. The one I do want corrected, and will contact Honda corporate if needed, is the gap and unevenness on the dash. That, in my opinion, is a definite no no on a brand new car. I kick myself for not having spotted it during the test drive.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:29 PM
For reference, I have an LX MT manufactured Oct 2014....VIN... FM737130...purchased 01-09-2015. As of 01-26-2015 it has 530 miles mixed driving.
Here are the quality issues I've experienced with my Fit so far. I like the car, but I am a bit suspicious now that I'm discovering these issues that a new car shouldn't have, especially a Honda.

2. On the driver's side, there is a gap between the dash and the A-pillar, and the piece of trim next to the small window is not flush with the rest of the dash. Others have reported this on this thread, and have taken pictures which look similar to what's going on with my Fit. The dealer has ordered the small trim piece that goes adjacent to the small window. Once the piece gets installed, I'll have to wait and see if that resolves the gap and the unevenness.
3. Condensation on rear left reverse light. Dealer replaced the tail light; however, the new piece, and the one on the other side still show some light condensation at times. According to Page 402 of the owner's manual this is normal, so maybe this a non-issue (I hope so).
4. From the rear on the driver's side near the hatch door, there is sometimes a dry thud or click that happens when, after driving, the car comes to a stop. The noise continues whether the engine is on or off. It eventually goes away, but does last a few minutes. This has only happened a few times, and, of course, it didn't make the noise when the dealer checked it out. I do have a sound recording of it, so I'll show it to the dealer next time I go there.
5. The interior cabin light (the one in the middle of the ceiling) is not even, it looks sunken in on one side. I just noticed this today when I sat on the back seat, so I will show it to the dealer next time I go.
6. This one I'm not sure if it's just paranoia or a legit issue, but I feel a very light vibration and hesitation from the transmission when I engage 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it should be a smooth transition, so is it my driving of the MT or is something amiss? Does anyone else have this? I will report it to the dealer next time I stop by.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, and please let me know if any of you have had these issues, and what the dealer has done about them. I decided on a new car for peace of mind so having these issues is a bit disappointing.
Bullet point 4 happens to me frequently, I thought it was a license plate bracket flopping around but that wasn't it. Did they ever find out a cause for it?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
... 4. From the rear on the driver's side near the hatch door, there is sometimes a dry thud or click that happens when, after driving, the car comes to a stop. The noise continues whether the engine is on or off. It eventually goes away, but does last a few minutes. ...
Originally Posted by DraguliasBaxter
Bullet point 4 happens to me frequently, I thought it was a license plate bracket flopping around but that wasn't it. Did they ever find out a cause for it?
I'm guessing it is from the fuel tank or filler door area. My Odyssey will make some fuel tank related gurgles a while after it stops. I'll have to pay attention more closely to the Fit in this regard.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Sounds like the arm is going into resonance with the engine at idle. As an experiment, try attaching a small weight (nut, etc.) firmly it to the middle of the arm with a twist-tie. If that cures the vibration you can do a permanent cure by super-gluing a small weight to the underside of the arm. out of sight

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit