3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:13 AM
Honda Impressions

Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
Hi all, I'll start off by saying this was my experience, and if you had a different one, good for you. I haven't driven a Honda since my early 2000's S2000 (which was so bad it made me run from Honda for a decade), and I've pretty much only driven German since. So please understand my perspective.

* I obscured and did not mention the dealership because I am still pending things getting fixed. I also don't know if this level of service is considered standard Honda service and Honda quality, so I didn't feel a need to call them out. Yet.
This is my 3rd new Honda. My first was an 82 Civic. Built like a swiss watch. My 2nd was an 86 Accord. Also built like a swiss watch. I owned different brands in between and just returned to Honda. No longer built like a swiss watch. Honda changed. It is a good car but they are not built like they used to be.

My 2012 Fiat was better at delivery. I've got some paint issues on my car. Only 300 miles but I need to get back to the dealer and address some things. It was freezing rain and dark when I bought it so I didn't get a good look at it. I know people won't believe this but my Fiat was better at delivery and actually has a much better hands-free phone system with more complete and easier to use steering wheel controls.

I trust this Fit will long-run be a good car, I hope so.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Slow Speed Driving Hesitation

If I shift between 1500 - 2500ish I get a stumble or hesitation. She has done this since new. Worse when it's cold. I was hoping putting a few miles on her would clear it up. 1500 miles later and still missing. I have tried regular and premium made no difference. Drive it past 3k rpms and no stumble? No CEL. I took it to dealer and guest what? Ya you know what they said "it drives normal" So I had the mechanic go for a test ride with me and he admitted "it only does it a little" WTF! What more do I have to say? So I will take it back next week and mechanic was going to call honda on it. So anyone else having a similar issue?

Old 12-22-2014, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I've had my 2015 LX CVT Fit just over three weeks now.
Have put about 1100 miles on it, taking three long week end trips in it, as a shakedown.
So far I've only two beefs with the car:
First, it pulls a bit to the left (alignment issue?)
Second, the low beam head lights are adjusted very low (had this same issue,as delivered, with my 2008 fit).
Will be taking the car to the dealership this coming Monday, to have both issues resolved.
Gregg

Old 12-23-2014, 02:31 PM
Driver Side Dash Panel Seams

18 pages is an awful lot to read through, my only complaint is the dash trim by the driver's side tiny window doesn't have a nice seam, the edges must be missing a clip or something. Does this sound like an easy fix or something the dealer should do?

Old 12-23-2014, 02:49 PM
After reading this thread it seems more people are having fit/finish issues more commonly than engine and/or drivetrain issues. Not saying these issues aren't legitimate (I'd be upset too) but at least engines/transmissions aren't having major failures early in the vehicles life,especially since they're also a new design. If interior quality was pinnacle for me I would have spent the extra 5k on a golf and ran the risk of driveability issues. It's hard to find a car that has impeccable interior refinement in the sub-compact class. Hang in there people!

Old 12-23-2014, 03:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
If I shift between 1500 - 2500ish I get a stumble or hesitation. She has done this since new. Worse when it's cold. I was hoping putting a few miles on her would clear it up. 1500 miles later and still missing. I have tried regular and premium made no difference. Drive it past 3k rpms and no stumble? No CEL. I took it to dealer and guest what? Ya you know what they said "it drives normal" So I had the mechanic go for a test ride with me and he admitted "it only does it a little" WTF! What more do I have to say? So I will take it back next week and mechanic was going to call honda on it. So anyone else having a similar issue?
I was getting a little bit of that in second gear, but the past two months, it's been gone. I don't know if I just changed my driving style to not shift so low or what.

Old 12-23-2014, 07:51 PM
If you having an issue that has not been previously addressed, I implore you to bring the vehicle into the dealership for a diagnosis to verify the issue and have it resolved. If you need further assistance once the dealership diagnoses the vehicle, please contact me via PM with your full name, VIN, mileage and dealer so we can better assist you on resolving your concern. We are for our loyal Honda customers and want to ensure we provide the best service possible in having these issues diagnosed and resolved.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 12-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Here's a picture of my driver's side dash panels. The gaps are much more noticeable in person compared to the picture. Maybe it was part of the A-Pillar recall...

Old 12-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Isn't that a little low for a small engine? I wouldn't shift under 3000, especially if accelerating. Low rpms and a lot of gas puts a lot of strain on a small engine.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
Here's a picture of my driver's side dash panels. The gaps are much more noticeable in person compared to the picture. Maybe it was part of the A-Pillar recall...

First post!

@GotBitB13, I bought a fit with a VIN in the 47xxx and I have the gaps as well. Also, the A pillar trim by the side airbags are falling off too.

Went into the service department today and was told that it was the same on another Fit they had on the lot, that it was normal.

So I showed them another Fit on the lot that did not have the wonky fitting of the driver's side dash and the side airbags. Now waiting again on them to send the pics to (someone?) to see what the next steps are.

Think I'll call in to see if my car was affected by the A pillar recall you mentioned.

Name:  IMG_3947_zps45cf6e84.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  79.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3949_zpsf4386765.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  53.2 KB

Last edited by RockyFit; 12-25-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by RockyFit
First post!

@GotBitB13, I bought a fit with a VIN in the 47xxx and I have the gaps as well. Also, the A pillar trim by the side airbags are falling off too.

Went into the service department today and was told that it was the same on another Fit they had on the lot, that it was normal.

So I showed them another Fit on the lot that did not have the wonky fitting of the driver's side dash and the side airbags. Now waiting again on them to send the pics to (someone?) to see what the next steps are.

Think I'll call in to see if my car was affected by the A pillar recall you mentioned.
The 15 fit has the side curtain airbag recall. Has this been done to yours yet? I'm assuming not since you didn't mention it? Maybe it has and that's why the panels look that way? Or if you have them do it not sure if it will help these panel alignment or not? Just a thought?

Old 12-25-2014, 02:52 PM
I've got the same gap between the driver's side A pillar and the dash. When I brought it to the dealer yesterday we took a look at the other ones on the lot, and probably 50% (3 out of 6) had the gap, to varying degrees. The service department made a note in case Honda has any sort of recall or fix to address it, but they weren't sure what they could do other than replace the entire dash, and even then it looked like it might not be better based on the other cars we looked at. I haven't checked for the airbag recall, but I will soon.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread in case anyone finds a fix!

Old 12-25-2014, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mrbrightside695
I've got the same gap between the driver's side A pillar and the dash. When I brought it to the dealer yesterday we took a look at the other ones on the lot, and probably 50% (3 out of 6) had the gap, to varying degrees. The service department made a note in case Honda has any sort of recall or fix to address it, but they weren't sure what they could do other than replace the entire dash, and even then it looked like it might not be better based on the other cars we looked at. I haven't checked for the airbag recall, but I will soon.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread in case anyone finds a fix!
I've got the same gap between the driver's side A pillar but haven't looked at the dash as I didn't notice anything out of place.

I tried pressing on it to close the gap but wouldn't so left it alone as didn't want to screw around with the side airbag blowing up in my face.

My 2006 Civic EX had the same thing so I ignored it.

Old 12-25-2014, 03:11 PM
GE8 quality issues

Hello,

Just thought I would give my experience.

When I bought my 2010 Honda Fit Sport Manual, I drove two cars. The first car was turned down because:

1) Clutch chatter (manual transmission)
2) Coarse engine
3) Front Windshield had defect/distortion

Bought the 2nd Fit I drove. It did not have any defects detected on a short test drive. Turns out it didn't really now either. The clutch has begun to chatter more - reckon this might be due to the 67K miles on it now. The shifter is a bit vague/inconsistent in effort at times which occasionally causes me to grind a gear.

That is it for my Fit.

Have a friend that bought a Honda Civic. She has had so many electrical problems with it she tried to give it back to Honda. Honda has assigned a representative to the case.

Hope this info. helps someone.

Yo

Old 12-25-2014, 05:16 PM
The 15 fit has the side curtain airbag recall. Has this been done to yours yet? I'm assuming not since you didn't mention it? Maybe it has and that's why the panels look that way? Or if you have them do it not sure if it will help these panel alignment or not? Just a thought?
Not sure if it has been done to mine yet, but the recall was for a Fits manufactured between April 11 to June 9 of 2015 (mine was made in November). Maybe the refitting was done while still in the factory and that's why it looks? Let's see what the service adviser says when she calls tomorrow.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 PM
I didn't recall seeing production dates, but every source seems a little different. I did read that Honda would be notifying the owners subject to the recall, but any owner could call Honda about it.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gregg
I've had my 2015 LX CVT Fit just over three weeks now.
Have put about 1100 miles on it, taking three long week end trips in it, as a shakedown.
So far I've only two beefs with the car:
First, it pulls a bit to the left (alignment issue?)
Second, the low beam head lights are adjusted very low (had this same issue,as delivered, with my 2008 fit).
Will be taking the car to the dealership this coming Monday, to have both issues resolved.
Gregg
Had the opportunity to get the Fit to the Dealership this afternoon.

As to the alignment pulling slightly left, the river's side front wheel had basically zero toe in, and the passenger side front wheel was at about the limit of the permissible toe in, thus creating a built in slight left turn.
They corrected that by cranking in matching toe in on the driver's side front wheel to match the passenger side wheel.
The car no longer pulls to the left.

My issue now is the rear wheels, they are both at nearly the maximum yellow arc toe out.
The alignment print out states: "Marginal, suggest wheel alignment check".
They have a funky reading: -35 feet per mile.
+/- 20 feet per mole is "Pass"
+/- 20 feet per mile to +/- 40 feet per mail is "Marginal"
Over 40 feet per mile is "Failed"
Thus my Fit's rear axle is almost at "Failed" on both sides.

The service tech said the rear axle is not adjustable.
I countered, it can be shimmed.
He said, yes there are now or will be soon third party shims available for the 2015 rear axles.
BUT, Honda will not reimburse the dealership for doing the rear axle shimming, and I'm on my own if I wish to have it done.
I then asked what about shorter tire life running that much toe out.
He replied, I'll likely be on my own on that, as Honda considers the rear wheels to be with in tolerance.

I see a recall coming for this, if these out of alignment rear axles are as common as they appear to be.
I bet Honda comes up with a shim set real soon.

As to the head light issue, the driver side head light was low, and the passenger side head light was a bit low.
They adjusted them both up to the mid point on the Green angle.
Drove the car home as dusk, turning dark this evening, and the head light alignment is much better now.

Gregg

Old 12-28-2014, 02:29 PM
My plastic at my A-pillar base on the dash looks the exact same. Its weird because if I push it down it stays flush for about a week and then peels back up like that.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:44 PM
Just bought a EX CVT model yesterday.

Problem:
Rear wheel well inner fender cover that is made of carpet lined plastic has a gap, separating from the actual (metal) fender just above the rear tire on both left and right side.

I will post pics later (just did - see page 19).

Does anyone else have this gap on your Fit?

(Sorry, I didn't have time to read all 18 pages of this thread).

Last edited by Chazman; 12-29-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Chazman
Just bought a EX CVT model yesterday.

Problem:
Rear wheel well inner fender cover that is made of carpet lined plastic has a gap, separating from the actual (metal) fender just above the rear tire on both left and right side.

I will post pics later.

Does anyone else have this gap on your Fit?

(Sorry, I didn't real all 18 pages of this thread).
I recall others having this issue, but I would like to see pictures so I can look at mine and see if I have it too.

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit