3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
Drops of Water in the Tail Lights

We had unusually high humid and rainy weather recently. I noticed this inside the tail lights. Both lights have moisture inside. I called the dealer and was told to bring it in. Unfortunately, I was not able to do this immediately. When I checked again the next day, the water droplets were gone.

Had anything like this happened to other 2015 owners? Aren't the lights suppose to be sealed?

Name:  photo2_zpsf79c5cea.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  187.0 KB

Name:  photo6_zpsa8f12c2a.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  264.5 KB

Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Should not matter if the issue disappeared. You have photos of it, and should take it in. I live in a humid climate (Florida) and thus far have not seen this problem

Old 11-07-2014, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
Yes I guess I'll have to look into lemon law... the last two Honda's in the family that were lemon lawed was a pain... had to fight for a year on one of them :/
Quoting myself:

Originally Posted by Jared592
If you've got documentation showing that the dealer has been given the requisite number of chances to repair the car, I'd look up a lemon law lawyer and begin the process of getting them to buy the car back. It sounds like the recurring TPMS issue is going to be the one this'll hinge on, with the other stuff being additional weight on your side.

Motor Vehicle Warranty and Lemon Law | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General

Old 11-07-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Kimi808
Had anything like this happened to other 2015 owners? Aren't the lights suppose to be sealed?............

Since we're both in the same area, this has not happened to my LX (yet). Your right, the lights are supposed to be sealed.

There could have been initial moisture accumulated on the part at the factory so happening ONCE should be the most you should be seeing.

If it happens again, follow other's advise and take pics. Then, bring it back to the dealership.

Mahalo and congrats on the new wheels!!!

Old 11-08-2014, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Pictures Not Enough

I took the car to the dealer today and this is what I got when I showed them the pictures on the smart phone. The service Manager said, “Come back when the moisture is present inside the taillights. The possibility of all four lights having moisture at the same time makes it highly unlikely.”

The water droplet has now evaporated. I guess I will need to keep my eye on the taillights when we have the same weather condition occur again in the future. Perhaps, if there are enough complaints about the moisture accumulation problem that happened to my Fit, the rest of the Fit owners who experience this issue will receive a better reception at the dealer.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
I took the car to the dealer today and this is what I got when I showed them the pictures on the smart phone. The service Manager said, “Come back when the moisture is present inside the taillights. The possibility of all four lights having moisture at the same time makes it highly unlikely.”

The water droplet has now evaporated. I guess I will need to keep my eye on the taillights when we have the same weather condition occur again in the future. Perhaps, if there are enough complaints about the moisture accumulation problem that happened to my Fit, the rest of the Fit owners who experience this issue will receive a better reception at the dealer.
All lighting housings must have an opening to the outside to prevent burnouts. Lights get quite hot. And you live in Hawaii where the humidity is high so air drawn into the light housing as temperature falls and out as the lights come on is natural. Unless you have a crack in the housing moisture condensing as the temperature falls when you turn lights off is epected. Check for leaks by pouring water around the light and see if moisture collects in the light fixture.
PS few understand that engines draw and expel water vapor in the same way which is where water can contaminate the oil.
Unless you have a lot of water its probably not a concern.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:02 PM
So, my driver side window started making that loud buzzing noise again. Like the window is off it's track, and it made me a little worred, so I checked the other windows.

Can anyone else move their back passenger windows with their hand? I was cleaning mine today, and I was rather surprised by how much the thing moved back and forth as I scrubbed it.

Also, I'm not sure if my passenger airbag is working correctly or not. The passenger airbag light in the middle of the dashboard stays off, even when there isn't a passenger in the car.

Last edited by stellgod; 11-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stellgod
So, my driver side window started making that loud buzzing noise again. Like the window is off it's track, and it made me a little worred, so I checked the other windows.

Can anyone else move their back passenger windows with their hand? I was cleaning mine today, and I was rather surprised by how much the thing moved back and forth as I scrubbed it.

Also, I'm not sure if my passenger airbag is working correctly or not. The passenger airbag light in the middle of the dashboard stays off, even when there isn't a passenger in the car.
The airbag sensor for the passenger seat is sensitive to abnormal weight such as a backpack or a very small child to prevent serious injuries during an accident.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DArkk
The airbag sensor for the passenger seat is sensitive to abnormal weight such as a backpack or a very small child to prevent serious injuries during an accident.

...but remains off if the seat is empty.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by exl500
...but remains off if the seat is empty.
I could be wrong, but I believe the airbag only turns itself off if there is abnormal weight in the front seat. So nothing on the seat would mean it would still be activated.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kaikou
I could be wrong, but I believe the airbag only turns itself off if there is abnormal weight in the front seat. So nothing on the seat would mean it would still be activated.
Read page 29, particularly 2nd paragraph, 3rd column of the following:
http://cpsboard.org/cps/wp-content/u...tic-On-Off.pdf

Old 11-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Link doesn't work. What does it say?

Old 11-09-2014, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Link doesn't work. What does it say?
It's from a Honda PDF file.
If no one is riding in the front passenger’s seat, the airbag will be automatically shut off, but the indicator will not come on.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:08 AM
m_x
We had unusually high humid and rainy weather recently.
There is nothing wrong with your lights or housings. The first night I had my car we drove in the rain, after the dealer had the car washed. When I got home, there was condensation across the entire housing of both headlights, which was obviously extremely concerning on my hour old car (I can totally relate to how you feel). I was reading the manual that night and came across this passage on page 402, titled Fogged Exterior Light Lens:

"The inside lenses of exterior lights (headlights, brake lights etc.) may fog temporarily if you have driven in the rain, or after the vehicle has been run through a car wash. Dew condensation also may build up inside the lenses when there is a significant enough difference between the ambient and inside lens temperatures (similar to vehicle windows fogging up in rainy conditions). These conditions are natural processes, not structural design problems in the exterior lights.
Lens design characteristics may result in moisture developing on the light lens frame surfaces. This also is not a malfunction.
However, if you see large amounts water accumulation, or large water drop building up inside the lenses, have your vehicle inspected by a dealer."

In my own experience, my lights cleared up and it hasn't happened again (I also live in Florida where the humidity is usually 85%). Judging by your pictures, you're fine.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:13 PM
Washing the car again... funny how I always find things when I wash the car.
There is some kind of rust or discoloration of the chrome strip on the back on the car... This is just a picture of one spot, there are several. Not sure if it could be rust, as I don't think plastic covered in chrome can rust, but it is definitely permanently marked... It was not there a month ago.
Name:  qKQrkJT.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  580.6 KB

Here is my "fix" for the leaking rubber seal, and hard to close passenger side door. Until I get it to a dealership again, so they can fix it.
Name:  d3DshJu.jpg
Size:  820.3 KB

And just for kicks, some picture of panel fitment on my front bumper, because it fits so well...
Name:  9XoKZTi.jpg
Size:  683.2 KB
Name:  fc226fu.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  684.0 KB

Old 11-13-2014, 03:54 PM
Bigbadvoodooguru, I am curious to know what your dealer says about the panel fitment for your front bumper. Mine looks similar after the dealer did the front bumper upgrade. The dealer tried to fix it without taking the whole bumper apart again, but without success. Looks like it is something a body shop will need to handle. I have a case open with Honda, but am debating whether to pursue it or not, since it's not that bad, and I am not sure I want everythnig taken apart and put back together again. Not sure what I'll end up with (cure may be worse than sickness)?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't know what they will do, I haven't taken it in yet. I'm going to try another dealer to see if they will fix my misaligned doors, again, as well as the long list of other issues.
Lemon law should have a rule in it, if a consumer has to take a vehicle in to the dealership a double-digit number of times within the first 6 months of ownership, they should actually you know, fix the problems.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Bigbadvoodooguru,

We are sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with your vehicle. We are hopeful that the dealership would be able to address the concerns with the best of their ability. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Old 11-13-2014, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by m_x
There is nothing wrong with your lights or housings. The first night I had my car we drove in the rain, after the dealer had the car washed. When I got home, there was condensation across the entire housing of both headlights, which was obviously extremely concerning on my hour old car (I can totally relate to how you feel). I was reading the manual that night and came across this passage on page 402, titled Fogged Exterior Light Lens:

"The inside lenses of exterior lights (headlights, brake lights etc.) may fog temporarily if you have driven in the rain, or after the vehicle has been run through a car wash. Dew condensation also may build up inside the lenses when there is a significant enough difference between the ambient and inside lens temperatures (similar to vehicle windows fogging up in rainy conditions). These conditions are natural processes, not structural design problems in the exterior lights.
Lens design characteristics may result in moisture developing on the light lens frame surfaces. This also is not a malfunction.
However, if you see large amounts water accumulation, or large water drop building up inside the lenses, have your vehicle inspected by a dealer."

In my own experience, my lights cleared up and it hasn't happened again (I also live in Florida where the humidity is usually 85%). Judging by your pictures, you're fine.
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone has experienced the same thing. I am glad and happy that there is nothing wrong with my Fit. I even cancelled my first order because the Vin number was too low. I didn’t want to be hassled with the “bumper replacement”. What upset me is the service manager dismissed my concerns and didn’t even bother to offer to take a look at the brake lights. The sales staff was excellent. I won’t be taking my car there for service that’s for sure.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
My bumper fits exactly like that, seems consistent.

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit