3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
I would like to see pictures so I can look at mine and see if I have it too.
Below is the Right Hand (passenger) side.

Below is the Left Hand (driver) side - has bigger gap/wore than the RH side.

Name:  FitGapLH2_zps9e038aa4.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  FitGapLH3_zps3c8e6744.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  58.7 KB

Name:  FitGapLH5_zps766d714f.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  47.9 KB

I'm a quality control engineer at a global manufacturing company, and seeing this kind of quality level from Honda is quite surprising.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by Chazman
Below is the Right Hand (passenger) side.

Below is the Left Hand (driver) side - has bigger gap/wore than the RH side.

I'm a quality control engineer at a global manufacturing company, and seeing this kind of quality level from Honda is quite surprising.
You provided good pictures. Don't think my LX has this cover.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
Yep, exactly the same on my EX-L. Don't know why it was designed like that but so far it's still holding up.

Not sure about folks who live in the snow.

Old 12-29-2014, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the pictures! I will be inspecting mine for this.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the pictures! I will be inspecting mine for this.
This issue has been discussed previously on this forum (search "wheel well liner"). LX does not have a liner, only EX. I have brought the poor design of this part to Honda Customer Care's and the dealer's attention. If they get enough complaints, maybe they will do something about it, eventually?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by cloud11244
This issue has been discussed previously on this forum (search "wheel well liner"). LX does not have a liner, only EX. I have brought the poor design of this part to Honda Customer Care's and the dealer's attention. If they get enough complaints, maybe they will do something about it, eventually?
I remember reading some posts on it before I bought my EX, but I don't recall seeing pictures on the posts I came across. I was a little confused until I saw the pictures today.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by cloud11244
I have brought the poor design of this part to Honda Customer Care's and the dealer's attention.
What was the response from Honda corp and from the dealer?

I'm sure this is a known issue for Honda corp (but they may pretend they don't know).

I'm just wondering if this can be fairly easily fixed.
If so, I want to try myself instead of taking it to a dealer (just too far from me and I need a car everyday unless they let me have a loaner).

I just found the thread that is specifically discussing this inner fender issue at:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...uestion-3.html

I posted my pics there also.

Last edited by Chazman; 12-29-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:00 AM
I've got almost 1,400 miles on my new LX at this point - it had two issues when we got it, both which the dealer fixed. First, when we got it, there were scratches on the passenger window, so that had to be replaced. Second, the clutch (MT) squeaked from day 1, and I finally brought it in to be looked at. The dealer told me the cable connected to the clutch had never been lubed before leaving the factory, so they lubed it for me. It's been quiet since.

Glad they fixed the clutch issue so easily, though it does make me worry about what else may have been forgotten that I'm not noticing.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 AM
2015 FIT EX Manual

I took delivery of my Fit EX manual on the 12/26/14 with 28 miles. I have since racked up 400+ miles of mixed driving.

A few issues/quirks that I have noticed:

1) Headlight condensation/moisture. Some owners have suggested that this was a normal function and normal, but it is still a concern for me as it has not gone away even when parked in a heated garage. As time goes, this may cause the lense to become dull and yellow.

2) When reversing, there is a lot of clutch chatter no matter how smooth you attempt to feather the clutch/gas.

3) I have noticed a lot of swirls marks in the paint. Not sure if this was caused by the washing of the vehicle upon delivery or a factory defect. It was 8PM and dark when I bought the car.

4) As other owners have previously mentioned, I too am experiencing hesitation/power surging during acceleration even with the engine up to operating temperature.

None of these issues are catastrophic, but hope to have addressed at the dealership this weekend when they install a few accessories.

Photo of headlight condensation:

Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by PNWFit
I took delivery of my Fit EX manual on the 12/26/14 with 28 miles. I have since racked up 400+ miles of mixed driving.

A few issues/quirks that I have noticed:

1) Headlight condensation/moisture. Some owners have suggested that this was a normal function and normal, but it is still a concern for me as it has not gone away even when parked in a heated garage. As time goes, this may cause the lense to become dull and yellow.

2) When reversing, there is a lot of clutch chatter no matter how smooth you attempt to feather the clutch/gas.

3) I have noticed a lot of swirls marks in the paint. Not sure if this was caused by the washing of the vehicle upon delivery or a factory defect. It was 8PM and dark when I bought the car.

4) As other owners have previously mentioned, I too am experiencing hesitation/power surging during acceleration even with the engine up to operating temperature.

None of these issues are catastrophic, but hope to have addressed at the dealership this weekend when they install a few accessories.

Photo of headlight condensation:

I had the headlight problem, but I also had a pretty big smudge on the inside of the clear cover that was present all the time most noticeable with the headlights on. The dealership ordered a new headlight and installed it 2 days later. I think they took a picture of it for honda. I have swirls too, they tick me off, but I don't know what they could do about it. I think they happened before the delearship as I have taken deliveries from this one before with no issue & I only hand wash my cars.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Snake
the clutch (MT) squeaked from day 1, and I finally brought it in to be looked at. The dealer told me the cable connected to the clutch had never been lubed before leaving the factory, so they lubed it for me. It's been quiet since.
cable? what? our clutches are hydraulic, no cable at all.... so, either they lied or they really have no idea what they are doing... glad they fixed it though

Old 12-31-2014, 08:35 PM
My list. Love my car just minor nuisances.

Creak when backing up.
Hondalink crashes.
Bluetooth connection issue.
Air dam and grill cracked.
Hood trim panel gap uneven.
Soft paint.
Tail light condensation.

Name:  IMG_20141231_162716525_zpsfjjfaczk.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  71.4 KB

Last edited by mecevans; 12-31-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:08 PM
Today and yesterday, when I got in my car after work, when my foot was still on the brake and I put the transmission in drive, I got two sizable revs from the engine. Anyone else have this happen? I don't recall this happening in the morning, only after work, but either way it's still cold outside and the engine has been off for several hours. That's surely not something I want to have happen while braking in traffic. I've read cases of certain Toyota vehicles doing that.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by rodney
cable? what? our clutches are hydraulic, no cable at all.... so, either they lied or they really have no idea what they are doing... glad they fixed it though
Hmm. Don't know then, but it's not squeaking any more, so I'm happy!

Old 01-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Today and yesterday, when I got in my car after work, when my foot was still on the brake and I put the transmission in drive, I got two sizable revs from the engine. Anyone else have this happen? I don't recall this happening in the morning, only after work, but either way it's still cold outside and the engine has been off for several hours. That's surely not something I want to have happen while braking in traffic. I've read cases of certain Toyota vehicles doing that.
How fast are you throwing it into drive after start? A/C or defrost on?

Old 01-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by PNWFit
/As time goes, this may cause the lense to become dull and yellow.
Plastic polish can help prevent that some.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by lowlevelowl
After reading this thread it seems more people are having fit/finish issues more commonly than engine and/or drivetrain issues. Not saying these issues aren't legitimate (I'd be upset too) but at least engines/transmissions aren't having major failures early in the vehicles life,especially since they're also a new design. If interior quality was pinnacle for me I would have spent the extra 5k on a golf and ran the risk of driveability issues. It's hard to find a car that has impeccable interior refinement in the sub-compact class. Hang in there people!
100% agree. The Fit has better driveability than the Golf. The Golf also has a very weak tech system. The Golf may "feel" better built but the Golf doesn't cost 18,000 out the door for an EX manual. I've had many Hondas throughout my life. change the oil as advised and it will run forever, especially with the manual trans. For the MSRP, the Fit's interior is remarkable. I'd have preferred something a little more upmarket looking as the HR-V pictures look to be, but again we're talking about a budget car and what Honda managed to fit, no pun intended, is remarkable. You didn't make a bad choice.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by mecevans
My list. Love my car just minor nuisances.

Creak when backing up.
Hondalink crashes.
Bluetooth connection issue.
Air dam and grill cracked.
Hood trim panel gap uneven.
Soft paint.
Tail light condensation.

taillight condensation? that isn't good.

For the record, my bluetooth is sketch too and I have a new iphone

Old 01-01-2015, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by dudewheresmyfit
I had the headlight problem, but I also had a pretty big smudge on the inside of the clear cover that was present all the time most noticeable with the headlights on. The dealership ordered a new headlight and installed it 2 days later. I think they took a picture of it for honda. I have swirls too, they tick me off, but I don't know what they could do about it. I think they happened before the delearship as I have taken deliveries from this one before with no issue & I only hand wash my cars.
I disagree with other owners. Headlight condensation shouldn't happen. Period. Honda needs to deal with this.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Here's a picture of my driver's side dash panels. The gaps are much more noticeable in person compared to the picture. Maybe it was part of the A-Pillar recall...
Dude, that isn't right.

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit