3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
Run away as fast as you can. Go elsewhere for your service.....
I agree. go somewhere else for service. anyone that tells you it is supposed to come on periodically..... how ridiculous is that. Could be a tech that said that and the service writer isn't experienced enough to know the tech is shoveling bs. Or the service writer said that to get the car back out the door.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by mecevans
How fast are you throwing it into drive after start? A/C or defrost on?
Not that long, I start the car get settled, put my seatbelt on, adjust audio volume and shift to drive. Maybe 20 seconds, but the engine is steady in park before I shift it. I usually don't the turn the fan on because I don't like getting blasted with cold air, but if it were on speed 1 on the front defrost, I don't know if the A.C. would actually be on because of how cold it is.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:30 AM
Never let the dealer wash your car, unless you don't care about swirl marks. They use the same rags to wash all kinds of disgusting cars that come in for "oil change specials" that have never been washed in years. Upon delivery, carefully inspect for swirls and refuse to accept unless they pay to send to a real car detailer to buff out the paint. Now keep in mind some dealers send their new cars for prep to a real detailer but it's impossible to know for sure.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:03 PM
Had an issue with the grill.Several scratches on the chrome strip at the bottom and spots where the paint didn't adher.Dealer took pictures and ordered a new one.Today I noticed a gap on the drivers side between the dash and the little window,looking at it I can see yellow paint{the car is yellow}and no gap on the passenger side.I guess he'll be taking more pictures when I take it in for grill replacement.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Whew! Reading this thread makes me feel not so bad about the general quality level of the Fit design - inside and out - and the construction of my car. I bought it based on Consumer Reports' reliability reviews for pre-'15 Fits, so I guess time will tell whether it is truly low maintenance/reliable as a daily driver.

In short, I traded my beloved 15-year-old Honda Prelude 2000 SH for the Fit. Time fast became of the essence as I was shopping, and there was no new or used car on the market in a reasonable price range that I wanted, so I figured that if Consumer Reports liked the Fit, it was good enough for me.

I've got about 2,500 miles on my silver EX CVT and fortunately haven't (yet) experienced the quality control issues mentioned repeatedly in this thread. I do have several concerns going into springtime, mainly having to do with putting my wet, muddy, long-haired dog into an interior with a headliner that feels like felt and doesn't look cleanable (vs. vinyl, which can actually be wiped), cheap floor/mat and cargo surfaces (feels like flimsy, fine black Astroturf over cardboard) and an excess of cloth on the doors (perhaps to try to dampen the wind/road noise?). I plan on doing a LOT of initial and repeated Scotch-guarding and buying of new mats/cargo liners before letting the wet dog into the car.

In general this car feels very unfit (terrible pun, but true) to withstand the rigors of an active lifestyle. I'm hoping it will accommodate my hitch-mount bike rack from my Honda Prelude, which was built like a tank (i.e., very sturdy) versus the Fit. The car looks very plastic-y on the outside, to the point that I rapped on it a couple of times to see if the sheet metal wasn't, in fact, metal. LOL. On positive notes, the car is small (a plus for me) and I like the way it handles.

I don't know what the right car might have been for me, but I fear the Fit isn't it. We'll see how it goes, but given my overall impression of the general interior design and quality level of the car (I've only given a very short list of the areas where I have concerns) this will be my last Honda.

I wish the best of luck to those of you having issues that need to be resolved. I hope you can work through the time investment, inconvenience and frustration to obtain a successful resolution. I do believe I bought from a dealer that is at least initially interested in customer satisfaction, for which I'm very grateful.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
You can purchase rear seat covers, and a cargo liner along with all weather floor mats and cargo tray, to protect your finishes from both you and your dog. As for your concerns regarding the Fit itself, I don't think you have anything to be concerned with. Of course, reading this particular thread, I understand your being nervous, but trust me when I say there are thousands of Fit owners that do not have these problems or concerns, but they don't post on this thread. I also think Honda does an excellent job of addressing owners who have an issue, by assisting them in dealing with the dealer to resolve problems.

I owned the 2008 Fit (first generation), and my Daughter now owns a new 2015 Fit. We purchased it for her so she could drive back and forth from Knoxville to Nashville, while she attends school. She has no complaints, and really enjoys her car. The MPG is wonderful and the car is a hoot to drive! The cargo space is also nice (particularly with the rear seats down).

The Fit is what it is, a $19,000.00 + car. Personally, I like the $49,000.00+ Volvo, and would expect better finishes in a car that costs almost $50,000.00. With the Fit, we are enjoying the moonroof, Lane Watch (something I never had before), and push button start. The rear view camera is also nice.

Personally, I have never had any doubt regarding the fact Honda uses metal in their car bodies. The only car I know of that currently does not use metal is the Corvette, which I would be proud to own. Nor, have I ever seen a vinyl headliner, but that does not mean they do not exist.

Be thankful you have your three year warranty, to address all those anticipated problems your expecting, although I suspect your won't need it, because the car is after all, a Honda.

Last edited by Vanguard; 01-04-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Vanguard, I can't totally agree that Honda does an excellent job of taking care of customers with issues. Take a look at the "rear wheel well lining" problem that many EX owners have posted about on this forum. Hopefully, Honda will address this issue, but no so far. Overall, I enjoy my 2015 Fit. But the fact that Honda has built a car with such a poor fitting part leaves a sour taste with me, and I wonder if Honda really does care.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cloud11244
Vanguard, I can't totally agree that Honda does an excellent job of taking care of customers with issues. Take a look at the "rear wheel well lining" problem that many EX owners have posted about on this forum. Hopefully, Honda will address this issue, but no so far. Overall, I enjoy my 2015 Fit. But the fact that Honda has built a car with such a poor fitting part leaves a sour taste with me, and I wonder if Honda really does care.
I can't speak to the rear wheel lining issue, but I can comment on Honda Customer Care helping to resolve problems.

My daughters car had the defective/confused rear view camera and left lane view problem. Honda contacted us, after viewing a post I made regarding the issue, and walked us through a resolution with a local dealer. From start to finish, they stayed on top of the problem, until the head unit (screen) was replaced. We have not had any problem since with the unit.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Its been so long I've almost forgotten about it.. maybe thats what they want. But my windshield problems still persist. They've attempted to replace them 4 to 5 times already and everytime they say they got it done there is either a new problem or the old problem was not fixed. When they first got me in to replace all 9 of my windows they were not installed tight enough and they shake and rattle in the wind, also one of the windows was still showing the defects on the windows so they had to call honda and order another glass. The two small front quarter windows still had glue coming out of them when You stick your fingers in between the glass and the plastic covers. All the plastic trimmings around the windows are misaligned. Just too much trouble for a brand new car. But I will not stop till everything is fixed correctly.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Should I Come Back?

It's been a long time Fit Freaks.

About two years ago, I sold my well loved 2010 Honda Fit.

Let's not talk about what I've been driving. Let's just say when I heard about the New Fit, and some of the upgrades now available, I have been REALLY considering coming back into the Fit Fold.

So I've been logging in just to read threads and obtain information.

I have to say, this thread and so many posts about recent quality problems with the 2015 and I'm concerned.

As much as I miss the fantastic design, layout, and driving feel of The Fit, and as tempting as being able to obtain one with luxuries as upscale as keyless entry, push button start,-Return of the Refresh Mode and possibly even a moonroof, I'm disappointed to read about so many quality issues seemingly coming out of the new production of the new model out of Mexico.

My 2010 was obviously built in Japan. And in my two years ownership the biggest quality problems were sub-standard quality in the OEM rubber floor mats ( IMO ) and the center console bubbled up and started pealing. I had to have it re-upholstered in leather. Both rather minor...mod/accessory related problems.

But reading this thread? Body parts misaligned? Electronics not working properly?

I'm not making decision today or tomorrow. Got some time on this. But wondering if coming back to a New Fit is the right choice?

Old 01-04-2015, 09:01 PM
The way I look at it is, that threads like these let me know what to check for before buying so I can choose the least problematic one on the lot. I really can't find a cheap car I like more that meets such a high number of my needs. I just have to wait till May for credit reasons.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:25 AM
Keep things in perspective. There's maybe 30 - 40 people here that have posted some minor problems, but nothing earth shattering. The majority were early production units and that's common for a new plant. The cars aren't falling apart, prematurely rusting, blowing up, or otherwise mechanically breaking down. There are many tens of thousands of people who are not here complaining about anything.

About the wheel well liner issue, I think Honda is going to do something about it if it repeats enough times. That threshold requirement just hasn't been hit yet and/or maybe a better solution for it isn't ready. They aren't going to say anything about it until they have something ready to go to address it. It's not a required part to operate the car since the LX doesn't have it at all and it's not likely to damage anything if it totally falls out.

Look at it from Honda's perspective. Why say anything or incur costs to do anything about it if it's not widely occurring and there's no definitive evidence yet for what is exactly causing it that would lead to a better solution? Yes, it looks bad to those of us who have seen examples here, but we're a small percentage of the overall buying public and they can't make 'em fast enough to keep up with demand.

It'll get dealt with in due time when it needs to and can be I think.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 AM
I agree that the rear wheel well lining problem doesn't seem to be earth shattering. But Honda must have decided to add this part to the EX models (at extra cost) for some reason, either to deaden sound or to prevent road debris/moisture from entering the top of the rear wheel well. Either way, the part is ill fitting and only partially fulfilling this function.

All the EX models I examined on the dealer lot had the problem, more or less. I would think that there are many EX owners who are not even aware of the problem, and who do not read this forum. So Honda will not hear from many owners. If Honda's criterion for fixing a problem is the number of complaints it gets, then this issue may not qualify. But if Honda's criterion for fixing a problem is customer satisfaction then they should address this issue. And, maybe they still will at some point.

Again, except for some fit and finish problems, the 2015 Fit is a fine little car. But, at this point, I am not convinced Honda will meet my expectations for customer satisfaction.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by Zerda.Fennecus
Plastic polish can help prevent that some.
I use Plexus brand for this. If it's good enough to be used on airplane canopies, it's good enough for head lights. And it works fine, I've used it on the last 2 cars I've had.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

I do have some time on this decision. I'll keep my eyes and ears open.

I'll let you all know if I once again become a Fit owning Freak.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 PM
Ugh.

I've noticed that the paint is really "soft." I dropped a shovel on my tail bumper and it REMOVED THE PAINT completely in that spot. Also, I pulled out of a parking spot too quickly and all the paint is now missing on the underside of my new bumper. Peeled up just like cheap nail polish.

Is this something I can complain about? My car is in for the recall right now, and they seemed to be reluctant with that to start with.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:30 PM
FYI
My dealer said to call American Honda and complain about the paint. They said if they get enough calls, they will do a recall.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by curlgurl
I've noticed that the paint is really "soft." I dropped a shovel on my tail bumper and it REMOVED THE PAINT completely in that spot. Also, I pulled out of a parking spot too quickly and all the paint is now missing on the underside of my new bumper. Peeled up just like cheap nail polish.

Is this something I can complain about? My car is in for the recall right now, and they seemed to be reluctant with that to start with.
The primary purpose of paint is to protect the metal from rust. Not to protect against getting whacked with a shovel or scraped with concrete.

Now the damage areas you mentioned are plastic and not metal. But paint is paint. It can't protect plastic from that kind of contact either without being some kind of more advanced polymer, which would be more expensive and that's not what the Fit was ever intended to be.

Be more careful not to drop things on your car or scrape it against things and the paint will perform exactly as it is supposed to.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:48 AM
5 Year Member
Some of us have had no problems with our 2015 Fits. Mine's been one of the best cars I've owned in over fifty years of driving.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit

The majority were early production units and that's common for a new plant...
The cars aren't falling apart...
Mine is assemed in 2014/11.

All EX & EX-L models have the rear wheel well liner that is literally falling apart.

But you are right that I think (I hope!) American Honda will do something about it sooner or later. They have a reputation to keep.

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit