3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
For reference, I have an LX MT manufactured Oct 2014....VIN... FM737130...purchased 01-09-2015. As of 01-26-2015 it has 530 miles mixed driving.
Here are the quality issues I've experienced with my Fit so far. I like the car, but I am a bit suspicious now that I'm discovering these issues that a new car shouldn't have, especially a Honda.

1. The arm of the passenger side wiper vibrates when the car comes to a complete stop with the engine on. The dealer readjusted the wipers after I informed them of the problem; however, the problem was not resolved. I will mention it to the dealer again when I stop by.
2. On the driver's side, there is a gap between the dash and the A-pillar, and the piece of trim next to the small window is not flush with the rest of the dash. Others have reported this on this thread, and have taken pictures which look similar to what's going on with my Fit. The dealer has ordered the small trim piece that goes adjacent to the small window. Once the piece gets installed, I'll have to wait and see if that resolves the gap and the unevenness.
3. Condensation on rear left reverse light. Dealer replaced the tail light; however, the new piece, and the one on the other side still show some light condensation at times. According to Page 402 of the owner's manual this is normal, so maybe this a non-issue (I hope so).
4. From the rear on the driver's side near the hatch door, there is sometimes a dry thud or click that happens when, after driving, the car comes to a stop. The noise continues whether the engine is on or off. It eventually goes away, but does last a few minutes. This has only happened a few times, and, of course, it didn't make the noise when the dealer checked it out. I do have a sound recording of it, so I'll show it to the dealer next time I go there.
5. The interior cabin light (the one in the middle of the ceiling) is not even, it looks sunken in on one side. I just noticed this today when I sat on the back seat, so I will show it to the dealer next time I go.
6. This one I'm not sure if it's just paranoia or a legit issue, but I feel a very light vibration and hesitation from the transmission when I engage 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it should be a smooth transition, so is it my driving of the MT or is something amiss? Does anyone else have this? I will report it to the dealer next time I stop by.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, and please let me know if any of you have had these issues, and what the dealer has done about them. I decided on a new car for peace of mind so having these issues is a bit disappointing.
I picked up our EX MT on the same day as your car. Ours has over 1200 miles on it already though. Regarding the issues you mentioned:

1) I have seen this occasionally, can't see anything that would fix it
2) Our panel in that area seems to stick up just a little. Annoying, but some double sided tape when it's warmer will fix it faster than dealing with a dealer
3) I hope your dealer can get the warranty on that part. Condensation seems normal (as the manual states) in the lights on this car which is odd....
4) Haven't heard that
5) Hmmm....will have to take a look
6) Being a cheaper car there is less dampening in the clutch so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Little cheaper cars seem to take more effort to drive smoothly than more expensive ones.

The other issue I notice on my car was the hood alignment with the fenders/lights. I adjusted the bumper a little and it is pretty even now. The part I worry about is the metal bracket holding the hood support rod. Wow, the is looking to get bent it seems so flimsy! All that being said, other cars are much cheaper and of MUCH lower quality.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by DraguliasBaxter
Bullet point 4 happens to me frequently, I thought it was a license plate bracket flopping around but that wasn't it. Did they ever find out a cause for it?
No, the dealer does not know what the noise is since they were not able to hear it. I have been hearing it less now, but it still happens occasionally. One of the service guys from the dealers said that it could a purger for (well, I forgot the exact wording) something related to the fuel system and to relieve buildup. What tbFit said about his Odyssey seems to be related to this.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Sounds like the arm is going into resonance with the engine at idle. As an experiment, try attaching a small weight (nut, etc.) firmly it to the middle of the arm with a twist-tie. If that cures the vibration you can do a permanent cure by super-gluing a small weight to the underside of the arm. out of sight
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure if I'll do it (at least for now) since I'm afraid the dealer may then deny warranty work on that part if another problem arises. The service guy at the dealer said that it was a new wiper design, so Honda may not have gotten it quite right this time - in other words, just a kink that I need to accept.

Last edited by 2015FIT; 02-04-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not sure if I'll do it (at least for now) since I'm afraid the dealer may then deny warranty work on that part if another problem arises. The service guy at the dealer said that it was a new wiper design, so Honda may not have gotten it quite right this time - in other words, just a kink that I need to accept.
If you're worried about that just use electrical tape rather than glue. It'll last for a long time and you can cut it off easily if by some strange reason the wipers need warranty service.

The weight doesn't have to be large. You're just changing the resonant frequency of the arm by a few hertz.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
If you're worried about that just use electrical tape rather than glue. It'll last for a long time and you can cut it off easily if by some strange reason the wipers need warranty service.

The weight doesn't have to be large. You're just changing the resonant frequency of the arm by a few hertz.
A good choice would be the weights used to balance alloy wheels, they came with a double sided tape that sticks to the wheel, if they remain stuck there then surelly they will remain stuck to a wiper! Lost of sizes to experiment also.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member
My rear cargo passenger side wall was separating from the car and Honda quickly and speedily replaced the full interior with a new one. They gave me a rental and had it down within a day of the parts coming in. I also had a paint chip on my bumper that was there before I drove it off the lot. They scheduled a paint appointment and professionally repaired the paint chip. Happy with the service and with the urgency to get my Fit in top shape as it should be.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM
I just noticed over the weekend that the driver side door was creating too much wind noise and when I got home, I observed that rubber trim around the door was loose and coming off. Called my local Honda dealership to make an appointment to get that fixed.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 PM
For reference, I have an LX MT manufactured Oct 2014....VIN... FM737130...purchased 01-09-2015. As of 01-26-2015 it has 530 miles mixed driving.
Here are the quality issues I've experienced with my Fit so far. I like the car, but I am a bit suspicious now that I'm discovering these issues that a new car shouldn't have, especially a Honda.

1. The arm of the passenger side wiper vibrates when the car comes to a complete stop with the engine on. The dealer readjusted the wipers after I informed them of the problem; however, the problem was not resolved. I will mention it to the dealer again when I stop by.
2. On the driver's side, there is a gap between the dash and the A-pillar, and the piece of trim next to the small window is not flush with the rest of the dash. Others have reported this on this thread, and have taken pictures which look similar to what's going on with my Fit. The dealer has ordered the small trim piece that goes adjacent to the small window. Once the piece gets installed, I'll have to wait and see if that resolves the gap and the unevenness.
3. Condensation on rear left reverse light. Dealer replaced the tail light; however, the new piece, and the one on the other side still show some light condensation at times. According to Page 402 of the owner's manual this is normal, so maybe this a non-issue (I hope so).
4. From the rear on the driver's side near the hatch door, there is sometimes a dry thud or click that happens when, after driving, the car comes to a stop. The noise continues whether the engine is on or off. It eventually goes away, but does last a few minutes. This has only happened a few times, and, of course, it didn't make the noise when the dealer checked it out. I do have a sound recording of it, so I'll show it to the dealer next time I go there.
5. The interior cabin light (the one in the middle of the ceiling) is not even, it looks sunken in on one side. I just noticed this today when I sat on the back seat, so I will show it to the dealer next time I go.
6. This one I'm not sure if it's just paranoia or a legit issue, but I feel a very light vibration and hesitation from the transmission when I engage 2nd and 3rd gear. I think it should be a smooth transition, so is it my driving of the MT or is something amiss? Does anyone else have this? I will report it to the dealer next time I stop by.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post, and please let me know if any of you have had these issues, and what the dealer has done about them. I decided on a new car for peace of mind so having these issues is a bit disappointing.
The above is my posting. I have still not gone to the dealer since the small trim piece (see #2 above) has not yet arrived. I'm posting again since, if you are interested, you can see some of the pics/video/audio of the gap and unevenness on the dash (#2), the vibrating wiper (#1), the thud (#4), and the interior cabin light (#5). Here's the link: http://1drv.ms/1B41gH6

Two other things that I've noticed on the car:
7. Two tiny paint bubbles - one on the hood (pax side front border) and one on the driver's side on body piece adjacent to hood. They are both small and not easily visible.
8. Sometimes when idle, and especially in drives of 20min or less, I feel light vibration from under my feet and very lightly on the steering wheel (is this normal, or does something need an adjustment??). I'm thinking the dealer will probably say they don't feel it, but we'll see.

I still like the car quite a bit, but just want to make sure that I catch everything before the warranty expires and/or the dealer says that it was my doing.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Took my car back to the Honda dealer today to get the left taillight that had condensation replaced. After waiting for two hours (mostly looking at the cars on the lot for sale), I get a call from the service advisor that he needed to talk to me. "Uh oh" is my gut feeling. It's instinct after owning older cars that something needs replacement or is broken. Turns out to not be so major; they had ordered the wrong parts! Instead they had ordered both a right taillight and the center brake light cover, and had replaced those. It wasn't until the repair was done that the service advisor realized the error. Luckily, not a big deal and a new left taillight is being ordered.

Luckily the service is good at this particular dealer and I've been pleased with them. But I'm just tired of the car. I can't take my Fit to the nearest Honda dealer for repairs as they refuse to look at the car without a diagnosis fee, and state that I need to take it back to the original dealer I purchased it from. That means having to continue driving out there 20 miles in LA traffic (took two hours last time when the hatchback trim was replaced). This brand new car has taken too much time and energy, and the local Honda dealers make it difficult to get anything repaired without having to make a journey to the original dealer. With only 800 miles on the car and this being the sixth trip back, disappointing isn't even the word.

All of the issues with my Fit have been minor trim or electrical, but each issue requires taking time off work, driving down to the dealer, waiting a few hours, and coming back home in traffic. This has been the least reliable car I have ever owned (and that's including such beauties such as an Aveo and an Aspire)

Out of frustration, I stopped by the Hyundai dealer next door to look at an Accent, but the trade-in offer for the Fit meant a major hit to the pocket (no surprise, but I was optimistic that it could've been a little more). Oh well, I'll see if things improve or if the car gets involved in some type of insurance claim

Last edited by festiboi; 02-12-2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:50 AM
This has been the least reliable car I have ever owned
When you want to go somewhere, does it get you there in a timely manner that you expected? That's what reliability is about. Minor trim and electrical issues that don't impact your ability to use the car to get from A to B I don't think should be classified in the reliability column.

The dealer issue is some BS. You should complain to Honda directly about that. If something needs repair under warranty then you should not be required to pay anything out of pocket, regardless of what dealer you take it to.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit
When you want to go somewhere, does it get you there in a timely manner that you expected? That's what reliability is about. Minor trim and electrical issues that don't impact your ability to use the car to get from A to B I don't think should be classified in the reliability column.

The dealer issue is some BS. You should complain to Honda directly about that. If something needs repair under warranty then you should not be required to pay anything out of pocket, regardless of what dealer you take it to.

Good points; aside from the battery and alternator issues, these have been issues that haven't left me stranded or in a dangerous situation. However, the whole point of owning a brand new car is for the piece of mind and avoiding the hassle of anything breaking for a while. I don't drive the car very often (800 miles in almost four months), and 200 of those miles have been going to the dealer and back. I don't depend on the car for everyday use, and going to the dealer 20 miles away when I'm within walking distance to work is just an unwanted hassle

Maybe it was harsh or unjust to call it the most unreliable car I've owned, but it certainly is the one that's had the most defects

The dealer experience with some service departments has been dismal. Prior ownership experiences with Ford, GM, or Hyundai have not involved dealers being so particular on if they are willing to work on the car or not; if it's under warranty, then it needs to be repaired regardless of where the dealer is. In all fairness, the dealer that the car was bought from has been phenomenal.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Festiboi, that just sucks! Reliability issues or not, that's got to be annoying and extremely frustrating for you. Here's hoping all your issues are behind you. Oh, and am I glad I don't have to deal with LA traffic.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Festiboi, that just sucks! Reliability issues or not, that's got to be annoying and extremely frustrating for you. Here's hoping all your issues are behind you. Oh, and am I glad I don't have to deal with LA traffic.

Thanks GoBucky. LA traffic is the devil! That last trip to the dealer, I averaged about 8mph on the freeway. But it was 88 degrees yesterday, so that's the trade-off

I hope this will be the last of the glitches. To set the record, I really like the car for what it is (I wouldn't have bought it otherwise). I'd avoided buying from a Japanese brand for years, and decided to take the plunge based on the consistent quality reviews. Truly ironic, lol

Old 02-13-2015, 02:15 PM
I just found the biggest annoyance in my new Fit EX. The stereo controls on the steering wheel are really nice and convenient, but if I want to adjust the volume while I am turning a corner it ends up being difficult to hit the buttons. Can we get thought controlled stereo please. [/sarcasm]

Old 02-14-2015, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
Driver side sun shade fell off at about 800 miles when I tried to block the sun from coming in the driver window. I have put it in place, however I cant move it to the window or it falls off again. Will have to bring it to a dealer when i get a chance.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I have to add my first issue to this thread... We noticed that the front under carriage shield had fallen on one side and none of us had gone off-roading or hit anything that we recall.

At least 3 screws were missing and the dealer had it quickly fixed the next day after I used some duct tape to keep it in place temporarily.

Name:  QDHSUkG.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  127.2 KB

Regarding the rear EX wheel liners for road noise reduction... I also made them note ours is sagging a little but really didn't want them to mess with it since it was not low enough to see unless you shine a light directly from the side.

Otherwise, I've had no other issues yet.

Old 02-15-2015, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Well, I have to add my first issue to this thread... We noticed that the front under carriage shield had fallen on one side and none of us had gone off-roading or hit anything that we recall.

At least 3 screws were missing and the dealer had it quickly fixed the next day after I used some duct tape to keep it in place temporarily.

Regarding the rear EX wheel liners for road noise reduction... I also made them note ours is sagging a little but really didn't want them to mess with it since it was not low enough to see unless you shine a light directly from the side.

Otherwise, I've had no other issues yet.
I have looked at these fasteners a couple of times while doing oil changes. There are six of them, four of which are metal screws threaded into plastic and two of which are plastic expansion fasteners (a bit like a plastic wall anchor, at least in function). I am not at all surprised that your fasteners fell out. None of the fasteners tighten up in a way that makes you feel satisfied, and the plastic expansion fasteners appear made to be replaced every third or fourth time they are removed. I am careful not to over tighten the metal screws since they feel like they would strip out quite easily. The front of the plastic shield is tucked into the bumper plastic, so the front should not fall down if most the other connectors are still holding, but if you lose three, as you did, then all bets are off.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:38 AM
5 Year Member
Quality Issues with new Fit

I am sorry to read about the fit and finish and quality issues of the 2015 Honda Fit.

Granted I held back and am looking at it again- as well as the 2015 Ford Fiesta Titanium Hatchback and the newly released 2015 Toyota Prius c (Four). I was also thinking of waiting for the 2016 Mazda2 (which I may still do) but there maybe hiccups with that as well- since they'll be and are currently be manufactured as we speak (just not in showrooms) in the new facility in MX- where they'll also be making rumored new generation Toyota (Yaris)- since they have a new partnership.

So of the above that just leaves- the Prius c as having a "J" VIN! And all the others- MX!

And here I am looking at some "32+" ships in the Los Angeles Harbor (San Pedro/Long Beach) just dying to unload their goods and some- cars and parts.

Decisions...

Old 02-16-2015, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KenBT
I am sorry to read about the fit and finish and quality issues of the 2015 Honda Fit. .... .
Like any forum, your going to have people complain more about issues than the larger overall percentage of owners. Especially picky enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by tbFit
Like any forum, your going to have people complain more about issues than the larger overall percentage of owners. Especially picky enthusiasts.
I agree, negative comments tend to be disproportionately bigger, possibly skewing perception.
I have posted the defects I have found on my Fit and will likely continue to do so in order to keep others informed and keep Honda accountable. Nevertheless, I think the Fit is a good product and I really like my yellow LX MT, and hope that my feedback (posting my quality issues) can help both consumers and Honda keep to a certain standard of quality.

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit