3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
On the surface of it, the length of this thread makes it appear there are a lot of problems with the 2015 Fit. A good portion of it; however, is a number of people continuing to post and repost about the same problems.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Another issue I noticed this weekend was with the cold weather I let her warm up for 10 mins and defrost the windshield with fan on high. I noticed the fan about every 10-15 sec slow down like when you let the clutch out and the electrics will dim a bit? Anyone else notice this? I guess I will have dealer check it? The tach stays steady but I can sense the motor does idle down a bit when the fan slows down.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM
5 Year Member
Was the rear defroster on? Cycling on and off and loading/unloading the alternator?

Old 02-17-2015, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Was the rear defroster on? Cycling on and off and loading/unloading the alternator?
I started the car and went inside to let warm up and only had the fan on high aimed at windshield to defrost. When I got in I noticed fan cycling? So i turned fan off and on? No change. Blipped the throttle a few times. No change. I turned defrost on as well as every electrical device i could to see if anything made it change and nothing did? I'm curious to see if other 2015 owners noticed there's doing it? Also after a 15 min drive to the store it didn't do it any more.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
Fan speed fluctuation

@Jim G. I would guess that your fan slows down when the AC compressor kicks in. If you have the control set to defrost, the car uses the AC--even in the coldest weather--to dehumidify the air. Any time the compressor starts, you will get a sag in voltage due to the current required to pull in the clutch and, more significantly, due to the drag on the engine from the compressor itself running. It's likely that your RPM do in fact decrease when the compressor starts, though the computer typically boosts the fuel a bit so that the idle doesn't go down too much.
Disclaimer: I've bee wrong before.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brian Jones
... If you have the control set to defrost, the car uses the AC--even in the coldest weather--to dehumidify the air.
If the evaporator drops below freezing, it just ices up instead of dehumidifying. An AC unit typically doesn't operate in defrost below about 50ºF.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
Wrong again

@Fitmo
I'm probably wrong. As I said, I've been wrong before. I'll have to do some research. I know my window AC unit cooling my wine room to 55 deg. will ice up sometimes. It's not made to run that low. I wonder, though, if you can get an AC unit to dehumidify at low temps if you run it only briefly or in spurts.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 PM
@Fitmo
I'm probably wrong. As I said, I've been wrong before. I'll have to do some research. I know my window AC unit cooling my wine room to 55 deg. will ice up sometimes. It's not made to run that low. I wonder, though, if you can get an AC unit to dehumidify at low temps if you run it only briefly or in spurts.
At that point, would a dehumidifier be the way to go?

Old 02-17-2015, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
My dehumidifier in the basement will also ice up on the evaporator side. I keep it sitting up on top of a refrigerator (heat rises) down there.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:24 PM
@Jim G. I would guess that your fan slows down when the AC compressor kicks in. If you have the control set to defrost, the car uses the AC--even in the coldest weather--to dehumidify the air. Any time the compressor starts, you will get a sag in voltage due to the current required to pull in the clutch and, more significantly, due to the drag on the engine from the compressor itself running. It's likely that your RPM do in fact decrease when the compressor starts, though the computer typically boosts the fuel a bit so that the idle doesn't go down too much.
Disclaimer: I've bee wrong before.
I had the a/c off but good point! The 15 fit has a separate on/off switch for the a/c so not sure if it comes on automatically when switching to defrost or not?

Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Dehumidifying

One challenge in cold weather is that the engine is still cold when you need to clear the windshield, so there's no hot air available. In that case, a dehumidifier is very useful. I just don't know for sure at what point an AC compressor system can no longer be used, even in spurts, to draw moisture out of the air.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
I had the a/c off but good point! The 15 fit has a separate on/off switch for the a/c so not sure if it comes on automatically when switching to defrost or not?
It does, if the ambient temperature isn't too cold.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:29 PM
5 Year Member
One challenge in cold weather is that the engine is still cold when you need to clear the windshield, so there's no hot air available. In that case, a dehumidifier is very useful. I just don't know for sure at what point an AC compressor system can no longer be used, even in spurts, to draw moisture out of the air.
A dehumidifier is just an air-conditioner with the condenser (heating air), the evaporator (cooling air and removing the humidity) and the compressor all in one box. It's like sitting a window air-conditioner over a pan in the middle of a room floor.

edit to add: The roof AC on our RV is a heat pump. It can reverse the cycle and provide heat. Automotive heaters (which were an option back in the day), use waste heat from the engine so it's unlikely they'd ever put heat pumps in cars.

Last edited by Fitmo; 02-17-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
Electric cars

Maybe electric cars will have heat pumps someday.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Maybe electric cars will have heat pumps someday.
Heat-Pump Cabin Heater | NISSAN | TECHNOLOGICAL DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES

Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 PM
The only real issue I've noticed on my EX 6MT thus far is a squeaky clutch pedal. I've heard a few other little rattles/sounds but haven't been able to diagnose them and perhaps they were temporary. Then again, I've only got 350 miles.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:43 AM
My ex 6spd still has the stumbly bumblies below 3k? I took it back to dealer again. It has 2400 miles.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:08 PM
My ex 6spd still has the stumbly bumblies below 3k? I took it back to dealer again. It has 2400 miles.
What are stumbly bumblies?? Does it mean hesitation, vibration??

Last edited by 2015FIT; 02-18-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
What are stumbly bumblies?? Does it mean hesitation, vibration??
Yes. Hesitation, buck, stumble, etc... it is not smooth below 3k? I am REALLY disappointed with this honda....

Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 AM
Yes. Hesitation, buck, stumble, etc... it is not smooth below 3k? I am REALLY disappointed with this honda....
Thanks for the explanation, I thought that is what you meant, but just wanted to make sure.
It's too bad you are experiencing that problem. I myself I'm observing my Fit closely, besides my minor fitting/cosmetic defects, I sometimes feel a light vibration and hesitation (as if the system experiences a light cough) from the transmission when I engage and accelerate through 2nd and/or 3rd gear. I think it should be a smooth transition. Also, when idle at a stoplight or in traffic, I sometimes feel light vibration under my feet and sometimes even on my seat and steering wheel. These things only happen sometimes, and are very light so if you are not paying attention you may miss them, but in a brand new car I don't think they should be there. Even my previous 18 year old car (Geo Prizm) didn't have this that I remember.
Anyhow, I like the car, and one or two minor defects are to be expected, but it is kind of a let down that I seem to have already found 5-7 defects on it and I'm only at 860 miles as of today (01-19-2015).

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit