3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Some of us have had no problems with our 2015 Fits. Mine's been one of the best cars I've owned in over fifty years of driving.
Ditto! (10 char)

Old 01-07-2015, 10:55 AM
No problems here either. The rear wheel wells on mine have a good fitment and are not sagging as others have reported.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:21 PM
If you are posting "no problem" here, you are in the WRONG thread!

Go to:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...15-thread.html

Lots of useful info there!

Old 01-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by troyinpdx
I disagree with other owners. Headlight condensation shouldn't happen. Period. Honda needs to deal with this.
Yep, definitely something wrong with the car if there is headlight condensation... Hope your car is with service dept now.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Those of you complaining about the Fit...consider this: My 2010 Camaro is at the dealer because the trunk won't open. Was told that in 4 years, and 49,000 miles, the trunk exceeded the lifetime openings designed for the car. $300 for new wiring. Talk about BS and a POS design! Guarantee that you will never be told that by a Honda dealer.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 PM
im hearing a soft squeaky noise while driving. somewhere in the back area. not sure if its something I have back there or something in the car is loose. will have it checked out soon when I get my first oil change.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Stingray
Those of you complaining about the Fit...consider this: My 2010 Camaro is at the dealer because the trunk won't open. Was told that in 4 years, and 49,000 miles, the trunk exceeded the lifetime openings designed for the car. $300 for new wiring. Talk about BS and a POS design! Guarantee that you will never be told that by a Honda dealer.

There is at least one part on the 2015 EX models that is a POS design. Look at the "Rear Wheel Well Question" thread on this forum.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Stingray
Not that, but thousands of people were told by Honda that is perfectly normal for a Honda engine to burn 1 quart of oil in 1.000 miles.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-burning-claim

Think this is the first or only instance? Nope they pulled the same trick with the Prelude.
Also there is was the notorious problem with the RSX S transmission in 2001. Honda blamed it on the owners and then put the same pos transmission in the 8th gen Civic Si. Only by 2008 they admitted something was wrong and issued a TSB for the 3rd gear fix.
These are issues costing in the thousands, a lot more than a trunk release.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Honda's Hands are Even Dirtier

That said, my rear wheel wells fit perfectly and have been holding many pounds of ice slush lately.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by absolude

Not that, but thousands of people were told by Honda that is perfectly normal for a Honda engine to burn 1 quart of oil in 1.000 miles.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...-burning-claim
Not only by Honda, but sadly & unbelievably 1 qt / 1000 miles is the(maximum) spec used by many other vehicle manufacturers. It doesn't mean I agree with it, but that's the way how they play the game.

Last edited by Chazman; 01-09-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Honda's Hands are Even Dirtier

That said, my rear wheel wells fit perfectly and have been holding many pounds of ice slush lately.

Fitmo, when you say the rear wheel well liners fit perfectly on your EX, do you mean the edge of the liner is flush against the fender lip? If so, then it would seem the fault is not with the part design, but with the way the liner was installed at the factory. In that case, it seems the dealers should be able to adjust the liners to fit properly?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by cloud11244
In that case, it seems the dealers should be able to adjust the liners to fit properly?
Nope.

All the people who took their 2015 Fit to Honda dealer got the same response from them. There is no fix for that. Here is an example who took his car and what he's been told:

Originally Posted by svton25
Haven't picked up the car yet but was told over the phone there was nothing they could do to fix it. That's just how they are. Same song and dance as the others.
This problem is more specifically documented at this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1285808

Really pathetic that the car with the name "Fit" has this embarassing "Fit & Finish" problem. Sigh...

Old 01-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Chazman, I know that is the response that the dealers are giving. But if some EX owners are reporting that their liners fit perfectly, then it seems the problem is not the part, but the installation. So, the dealers should be able to adjust the installation of the part. They probably just don't want to mess with it without Honda giving them approval to do the work.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 PM
Chazman, I know that is the response that the dealers are giving. But if some EX owners are reporting that their liners fit perfectly, then it seems the problem is not the part, but the installation. So, the dealers should be able to adjust the installation of the part. They probably just don't want to mess with it without Honda giving them approval to do the work.
I know. But to be honest I really don't care about the actual cause of the problem - bad design, bad part, bad installation, whatever. I just want Honda to take care of this problem ASAP, but it is not happening to ANY of the 2015 Fit owners with this problem, at least not in this forum. Mind blowing thing to me is that this problem is not happening after driving a year or 10,000 miles. I found this problem on the same day I brought it home after buying from a dealer. I called American Honda the next day just to find out if they knew and what the solution would be, not so much to complain and whine about it. They didn't even have my VIN in their system because it was so new. I bet Amrican Honda is playing some kind of "wait & see" game. I'm a quality control engineer (with mechanical engineering background) for another vehicle manufacturing company. This kind of problem must have been noticed and well documented even before the mass production started earlier this year. I'm 110% sure Honda quality control engineers knew (come on, it's Honda!) but Honda decided to let it go for whatever reason. When I called American Honda, I expected to hear, "Yes, we have recognized this problem, but unfortunately we don't have a solution yet. We will inform you as soon as we have one." Sadly, nothing like that.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
I'll be watching....

Think I've decided just to wait.

Mostly because I can. No emergency NEED to make a change.

I loved my 2010 Fit. It was a great vehicle.

This new Fit, may also be a great vehicle. But while I might take a risk on either a 1st model year of a new generation OR take a risk on a "new factory" in a new country, I'm not willing to take a risk on BOTH.

Plus with Rear wheel linings hanging down, and other issues, it seems clear that Honda needs to do some fine tuning.

I suspect in the next couple of years I could easily come back to The Fit. But I'm not going to be one of the "First Wave" of owners of a new formulation coupled with a new assembly plant and process.

I sincerely hope for those that HAVE made the decision and do own the new Fit, that the feedback continues to be that the vehicle is great.

Many of the improvements and now available "luxuries" are things that I had always wished were available in 2010.

Even if I'm not posting....I'll be watching with great interest.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:08 PM
I've had my Fit since October and it only has 600 miles on it. It has been a disappointing experience thus far, but I hope it gets better.

When we took the car for a test drive, I noticed a scratch on the front bumper. The dealer said they would take care of it before taking delivery. However, once we got home, the scratch was still there (I know, I should've done a walk around, but it was late and we had been at the dealer forever. I shouldn't have taken their word for granted). Took it back a few days later and they removed most of it. It's very difficult to spot the remainder of the scratch and it's just not worth the fight.

The battery was dead in the first week while sitting at home. A quick jump start from my husband's car and we were on our way.

Two weeks later, the car wouldn't start at all. We would jump start it, and it would just die moments later. Got a tow to the nearest Honda dealer (less than a mile away) and they said that they would charge $100 for a diagnosis fee since I didn't buy from them. Wha!?!? I didn't want to get into that dispute, and just had it towed 16 miles to the Honda dealer we bought it from. They were great and it turned out to be a faulty alternator. Had it replaced with no questions asked.

Six weeks into owning it and while shutting the rear hatch, I was pushing down on the black trim between the tail lights and heard a "pop". My brother-in-law, a Mercedes mechanic, was with me at the time and said it that one of the plastic clips holding the trim piece on had broken. He also noted, like some have had with this car, that the doors are not aligned properly and not flush.

About two weeks later, while opening the hatch and pulling up, the entire black trim piece gave way and cracked in half.

Took it again to my neighborhood Honda dealer and they said it wasn't a defective part. They said someone must've been trying to steal the Honda emblem and may have broken it. No way, I was there when it broke and the car is garaged all the time. They refused to fix it and said that it's not a warranty item; I'll have to pay for the part. It was then that I lost my temper and said that I've owned 12 cars throughout the years, all mostly domestics and that this is my first new car, and I have never had an issue like this. I should've just stuck with Ford because they have always treated me much better. And then I drove off quietly into the night, lol

Shortly after, the clutch pedal started to creak when pressed. It was probably just a spring that needed WD-40, and was just more annoying than anything.

I took the Fit last week to the dealer that I bought it from, getting ready for a fight like I did with the local dealer, and instead they were wonderful. I mentioned the rear trim piece and they said it's been a common occurrence, even a brand new Fit on the lot had it break. Although the part wasn't in stock, it'll be fixed under warranty with no question when it arrives. They did work on getting the clutch creak resolved.

Brought the car home and the clutch was again creaking that night. Not to fear, I have to take the car in this week for the black hatch trim, and will bring it up again.

This is my first brand new car and it hasn't been the experience I had hoped for. I have been very loyal to Ford since high school and even though some of their cars (all bought used) had minor issues, I never had a problem with their service. I was very hesitant with buying a Honda because I do prefer buying American brands and American made cars, but all I kept hearing was "oh, it's a Honda, it'll go forever". Even though the larger and more powerful Focus was a $2k cheaper purchase thanks to all of Ford's rebates, I decided to go with the Fit because of the carefree ownership. Maybe I'm a little more scrutinizing because I did pay a premium for the Honda brand

I was on the verge, before the last visit to the dealer, to trade in the Fit for a Fiesta or a Sonic. I was fed up. My husband's Daewoo-built 2008 Aveo seems more solid and well built than my Fit, and GM (surprisingly) has been a pleasure to deal with when it comes to routine maintenance. Honestly, not a single thing has gone wrong with that car after 83k miles

The Honda dealer I bought the car from has been excellent and has renewed my confidence for now. Any manufacturer can make a bad car here and there, and I understand that the plant in Mexico is new and that these things happen. It's okay. But the local dealer's treatment and just some of Honda's arrogance as a whole, has turned me off.

I hope that these are just some hiccups, and that I keep the Fit for years to come as planned.

[stepping off of soapbox]

Name:  CAM01053.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  CAM01052.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 01-11-2015, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by festiboi
Got a tow to the nearest Honda dealer (less than a mile away) and they said that they would charge $100 for a diagnosis fee since I didn't buy from them. Wha!?!?
That's very typical of many dealers to customers who didn't buy from them when they come in for a warranty repair. I had the exact same experience with other new cars I bought in the past - Toyota, Dodge, Hyundai, etc. They would charge me or refuse to fix under warranty. I guess Honda is not an exception. They are thinking customers will buy from them in the future if they use that tactic. Wrong! What they don't realize is that customers treated in that way will NEVER buy anything from them.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Chazman
That's very typical of many dealers to customers who didn't buy from them when they come in for a warranty repair. I had the exact same experience with other new cars I bought in the past - Toyota, Dodge, Hyundai, etc. They would charge me or refuse to fix under warranty. I guess Honda is not an exception. They are thinking customers will buy from them in the future if they use that tactic. Wrong! What they don't realize is that customers treated in that way will NEVER buy anything from them.

Exactly! I was quite shocked by that. I always thought that any dealer would honor the manufacturer warranty, no matter where it was bought. That would totally suck if this happened on a cross country road trip. Anyway, since this was my first new car, I just thought it was Honda that did it, but at least they are not alone (if that makes things any better)

You're absolutely right, the tactic of the local dealer to charge a diagnosis fee not only turned me away from using them for service, but also to buy a car from them in the future. Oh well, I did look at Fits there when I was shopping since it was conveniently close, but they had $3-5k markups on the Fits. Ridiculous. The sleazy sales manager said he would give me the "family discount" with only a $2k markup. Psshhhh, no way!

Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM
festiboi, I would report that local dealer to Honda Corporate. Seems to me that the dealer not honoring the warranty is the same as Honda not honoring the warranty.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:51 PM
5 Year Member
Sorry… almost missed this. The outboard edge of the finder liners sit on top (i.e. inside of) the fender lips and overlap them by about 3/16". If you roll your fingertips around the fender lip, the liner will be resting on your fingernails. Hope that helps.

Fitmo, when you say the rear wheel well liners fit perfectly on your EX, do you mean the edge of the liner is flush against the fender lip? If so, then it would seem the fault is not with the part design, but with the way the liner was installed at the factory. In that case, it seems the dealers should be able to adjust the liners to fit properly?

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit