3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
I had the a/c off but good point! The 15 fit has a separate on/off switch for the a/c so not sure if it comes on automatically when switching to defrost or not?
A/C will come on automatically when you flip it to "Defrost" or "Defrost/Low Vent". Dehumidifying (air conditioning) is key to getting rid of moisture/fog on the inside of the windows.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
My ex 6spd still has the stumbly bumblies below 3k? I took it back to dealer again. It has 2400 miles.
Sounds like you need more practice using a clutch. If you can, find some hills as they really sharpen your skills to get the right friction points.

I was racing around the city last nite and having a blast. It's insane how great the Fit is.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Jared592
A/C will come on automatically when you flip it to "Defrost" or "Defrost/Low Vent". Dehumidifying (air conditioning) is key to getting rid of moisture/fog on the inside of the windows.
Strange? I am not able to get it to do the strange oscillating it did that one day? So I tried turning on the a/c just to see if the lights dim and now I can't even tell if the a/c comes on???

Old 02-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
Sounds like you need more practice using a clutch. If you can, find some hills as they really sharpen your skills to get the right friction points.

I was racing around the city last nite and having a blast. It's insane how great the Fit is.
Its not the clutch. Its not the driver. There are numerous other drivers here experiencing the same issue! It's believed to be a lean mapping issue?

I took car back to dealer and when i got it back they said they found nothing and did nothing but it seems to be better. Not sure if they can or have the ability to reflash the ECU? It still bucks but is very, very hard to tell it does it now! Definitely better!

Old 02-20-2015, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by 2015FIT

8. Sometimes when idle, and especially in drives of 20min or less, I feel light vibration from under my feet and very lightly on the steering wheel (is this normal, or does something need an adjustment??). I'm thinking the dealer will probably say they don't feel it, but we'll see.
The issue #8 you are describing is the exact reason I sought out this forum. I noticed this issue happening on colder mornings before the engine has warmed. Maybe at the first two lights I stop at in the morning the car will start virbrating slightly like it doesn't want to stay stopped and wants to go forward. Any resolution? I also love my new Fit and this is the only issue I have had so far.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:13 PM
From my test ride and inspection I felt the Engine was not as smooth as previous Honda engines. It could be related to mounts too if you feel too much vibration.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Took my Fit to get detailed and the detailer pointed out a spot on the roof that has some clear coat issues that I hadn't noticed before. He says it looks like it's mostly cosmetic, so I think I will just live with it, rather than ask the dealership to fix it - I have a feeling there's a 50% chance they will make it worse. If it starts to expand or bubble on me, then obviously I'll get them to work on it, but for the time being I'll probably leave it as is.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM
I found my mystery noise

I was getting a popping / clicking sound that was very intermittent and found out that it was expansion / contraction of the rear black trim piece that has the Honda emblem on it. Hearing the noise I got out of the vehicle and heard it on the outside of the car, upon closer inspection it was definitely the trim piece expanding in the hot sun. Definitely odd to have a sound coming from plastic trim on a new car but it is probably just getting used to our wild weather changes.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by DraguliasBaxter
I was getting a popping / clicking sound that was very intermittent and found out that it was expansion / contraction of the rear black trim piece that has the Honda emblem on it. Hearing the noise I got out of the vehicle and heard it on the outside of the car, upon closer inspection it was definitely the trim piece expanding in the hot sun. Definitely odd to have a sound coming from plastic trim on a new car but it is probably just getting used to our wild weather changes.
You know, just within this past week, I started suspecting the trim piece with the emblem on it to be responsible for that clicking noise, and lo and behold, you post this comment - thank you for posting this and validating my suspicion! Yes, I do find it odd to have noise coming from a trim piece. I do feel relieved that it is just that and not some mechanical and/or electrical issue.

Last edited by 2015FIT; 02-20-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by JoeKay
The issue #8 you are describing is the exact reason I sought out this forum. I noticed this issue happening on colder mornings before the engine has warmed. Maybe at the first two lights I stop at in the morning the car will start virbrating slightly like it doesn't want to stay stopped and wants to go forward. Any resolution? I also love my new Fit and this is the only issue I have had so far.
Thanks for posting. I'm the one who wrote the #8 you responded to. No resolution yet - I have still not gone to the dealer since we are waiting for a trim piece to arrive for a cosmetic issue on the dash (4 weeks and still waiting for the darn piece). I hope that a simple adjustment of the engine mounts or some other simple fix is found for the vibration since it irks me a little bit every time I feel it - it makes me feel like I'm being penalized for buying an economy car. You know, one way that I would describe the vibration is like the vibrations you get from bass audio.
I'll post again about this issue when I finally get to go to the dealer. Please post again if you get a resolution on yours. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by DraguliasBaxter

Ironically, that's the same piece of plastic that ended up just ripping off the back of my Fit when opening the hatch. I heard it pop a couple of times beforehand and then a nasty crack once when shutting the hatch. The next time I opened up the hatch, it cracked and ripped right off.

The Honda service advisor said that he's seen a few of them snap off already. It's just a large, flimsy piece of plastic held on by a few clips. Honda may end up having to revise the design of it.

Seems like that trim piece may become a common subject on these threads

Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
I just read the whole thread.

Winter here in Maryland, my 2015 FIt LX CVT is 4 weeks old, about 800 miles...

1. Around 4 times in this cold month, the defroster works on the front window, but all side windows get completely foggy; I've never seen this in a car before. Don't know what to do. When I get in the car the windows are clear; then I start the car, turn on the defroster, and the side windows fog up and severely limit my visibility.

2. I don't feel the foot heater is warm enough, but I'm not sure. The hands/face heater is strong and warm.

3. Snow/rain on driver's seat: When I open driver door while it is snowing, the snow immediately covers 4-6" of the edge of the driver's seat. I feel there should be some better overhang so the seat doesn't get wet immediately, but I suppose this is a design issue. This didn't happen with my '98 Civic.

4. I feel EVERY little bump and uneveness of the road, much worse than my wonderful 1998 Civic. It's a really choppy ride. Is this what you call 'road noise?" I can hear my radio and iphone fine, so it doesn't seem like road noise as much as road bumpiness. I think I read that I can get a better set of tires when these wear out. What tires specifically? What else can I do? I feel it under my (driver's) seat.
[B]

5. Entertainment system: I love how my iPhone 6+ pairs immediately. I haven't gotten quite the hang of it, since sometimes I get a call and can't hear the other person, but usually it is very loud and clear, so I'm still determining whether there is an issue here, or whether I still don't know how to do something for the speaker.

On the positive side, I'm loving the Fit!! I was very happy how the Fit handled a 45 min trip in the snow that actually took 2 hours, due to thick unplowed snow on the roads, and more hills than I realized existed on my route home yestereday. I was very nervous about sliding on the downhills, or spinning on the uphills, but aside from a warning light of tires spinning on the dashboard, my Fit managed the roads like a champ. I do not like driving in the snow, and don't have much experience doing so, and I was very pleased with the car's performance. Apart from the snow, I really like how sporty the car handles; I love the rear view camera, and after having the '98 for 107K miles and 16 years, it's really fun to drive a car with modern technology/features. - Etana
Silver Spring, MD

Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by etana

1. Around 4 times in this cold month, the defroster works on the front window, but all side windows get completely foggy; I've never seen this in a car before. Don't know what to do. When I get in the car the windows are clear; then I start the car, turn on the defroster, and the side windows fog up and severely limit my visibility.

2. I don't feel the foot heater is warm enough, but I'm not sure. The hands/face heater is strong and warm.

3. Snow/rain on driver's seat: When I open driver door while it is snowing, the snow immediately covers 4-6" of the edge of the driver's seat. I feel there should be some better overhang so the seat doesn't get wet immediately, but I suppose this is a design issue. This didn't happen with my '98 Civic.

4. I feel EVERY little bump and uneveness of the road, much worse than my wonderful 1998 Civic. It's a really choppy ride. Is this what you call 'road noise?" I can hear my radio and iphone fine, so it doesn't seem like road noise as much as road bumpiness. I think I read that I can get a better set of tires when these wear out. What tires specifically? What else can I do? I feel it under my (driver's) seat.
[B]

5. Entertainment system: I love how my iPhone 6+ pairs immediately. I haven't gotten quite the hang of it, since sometimes I get a call and can't hear the other person, but usually it is very loud and clear, so I'm still determining whether there is an issue here, or whether I still don't know how to do something for the speaker.

On the positive side, I'm loving the Fit!! I was very happy how the Fit handled a 45 min trip in the snow that actually took 2 hours, due to thick unplowed snow on the roads, and more hills than I realized existed on my route home yestereday. I was very nervous about sliding on the downhills, or spinning on the uphills, but aside from a warning light of tires spinning on the dashboard, my Fit managed the roads like a champ. I do not like driving in the snow, and don't have much experience doing so, and I was very pleased with the car's performance. Apart from the snow, I really like how sporty the car handles; I love the rear view camera, and after having the '98 for 107K miles and 16 years, it's really fun to drive a car with modern technology/features. - Etana
Silver Spring, MD
Hello etana, Some of this sounds like you are driving in marginal driving conditions, so take care in this 'Winter that Was'. In two respects:
1) I found the defroster to be a bit needy; try adjusting the temperature setting (either higher or lower) in defrost and you should find that the fogging on the side windows will back off (yes, I have experienced the same thing, but down here in the south, so apply some Maryland experimentation in both the high and low temp ranges).
2) I bought Yokohama tires as replacements for my '08 Fit Sport, and it was like upgrading to a $5,000+ step-up in make/model. I love my 2015 EX for the expected variety of reasons, but I promptly replaced my Bridgestone tires for another set of Yokohamas. The ride immediately matured from "oh goody, goody let's go" to "We're ready when you are", and my expectations were immediately fulfilled.
Glad to hear that you are lov'in your Fit, but remember it is not a snow plow, and enjoy!

Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member

[B]

Silver Spring, MD
I just bought a '15 EX tonight, and the fog thing was an instant annoyance (I'm in New England, so I feel your pain). I solved it by adjusting the air circulation slider under the radio / video screen.

Road noise is how much you hear from the road; how loud are your tires, other vehicles, wind, etc. I didn't notice it any different from my last 2 cars (07 VW Rabbit Hatch and 07 Civic), though to be fair, I listen to my music loud enough to block that out anyway.

The snow thing, I think you're going to get that in most cars, and that's just being nitpicky IMO. The bumps in the road though, yeah - I'm with you there.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by elusiveshame
I just bought a '15 EX tonight, and the fog thing was an instant annoyance (I'm in New England, so I feel your pain). I solved it by adjusting the air circulation slider under the radio / video screen.
In very moist winter in Portland Oregon I find using the climate system on fresh air intake with the A/C button on to dehumidify. I've had no fog issues inside. I find it works quite well.

One thing I've noticed is it doesn't seem much heat hits the feet when the heater is split between the dash vents and the floor. My feet feel cold unless I turn it on floor only. I wish the Fit had automatic climate control as the Canadian models offer.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:12 AM

In very moist winter in Portland Oregon I find using the climate system on fresh air intake with the A/C button on to dehumidify. I've had no fog issues inside. I find it works quite well.

One thing I've noticed is it doesn't seem much heat hits the feet when the heater is split between the dash vents and the floor. My feet feel cold unless I turn it on floor only. I wish the Fit had automatic climate control as the Canadian models offer.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:21 AM

4. I feel EVERY little bump and uneveness of the road, much worse than my wonderful 1998 Civic. It's a really choppy ride. Is this what you call 'road noise?"
Yes,sometimes it is a little rough and noisy. However, it is a sub 20K car. My model was 18K. I don't expect a old-school Cadillac ride for 18K. One thing you might do is look into Dynamat. I found this with a quick search of the forum.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...eir-fit-2.html

Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by elusiveshame
The snow thing, I think you're going to get that in most cars
If you don't want snow/rain on the driver's seat, buy a taller vehicle with vertical side windows. Lower vehicles like the Fit need to have more roof cutaway in order to be reasonably accessible.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:32 AM
I can't remember owning a car that didn't have a problem with getting snow on the front seat to some degree. And it's always annoying when after brushing your car off and climbing in and looking forward to warming up, you end up sitting on a cold, wet seat. You gotta love winter!

Old 02-27-2015, 11:42 AM
...after having the '98 for 107K miles and 16 years, it's really fun to drive a car with modern technology/features. - Etana
Silver Spring, MD
Wow. I'll hit 100k miles after about three and a half years. I drive about 30k a year.

Hoping this 2015 Fit will last me at least 300k.

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit