3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 vs. 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 01:13 AM
Why wait?

I love my 2015 FIT. Why wait and deprive yourself of a fun, well designed, and great economy car. I marvel at the fact that I can do 300+ miles on $25 of gas. Aside from the armrest (or lack thereof), I can't imagine how they will improve the FIT.
Indulge yourself and don't wait. I never thought getting great MPG could be so addictive. Coming from minivans and <20MPG SUVs, the fit is amazing. I feel like driving it just to enjoy the high MPG. I am getting sick: increasing my carbon footprint just to prove that I have a car that has a low carbon footprint.
Mentally unfit!

Old 11-30-2014, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
If you end up waiting until 2016, then you should consider the upcoming 2016 Honda HRV, that will be out in the Spring:

First look at the HR-V Crossover

http://www.hrvforum.com

Last edited by Vanguard; 12-01-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 PM
There is a good chance that the 2016 Fit will have Android Auto integration. This could be a significant benefit over the 2015 model which has a terrible Infotainment system. Android Auto means that as your phone gets better, your car's Infotainment system get's better, and it always has the latest Google Maps and newest music apps. The interface also seems safer to use than the Hondalink infotainment system that us 2015 owners must suffer.

https://www.android.com/auto/

Honda Vehicles to Seamlessly Integrate Android Smartphone Features with Android Auto - Honda.com
"Honda vehicles featuring Android Auto will debut in 2015; models and trims will be announced at a later date"

If you have an iPhone then Apple CarPlay is the iPhone equivalent of Android Auto, and it might also be added to Honda's new models.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
Android Auto sounds pretty cool. Bummer Honda won't upgrade our 2015 units to make it work. Least it's heading in the right direction of giving us better tools for the road.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by tmport
The 2015s were released in May this year. Do you really think the 2016s won't arrive until September next year? I'm also wondering whether to wait, and that could definitely affect my decision.
The only time that new model year cars are released before the August/September date is if the car is a new model and not following on from a previous year. The Fit didn't have a 2014 model to sell in the US, so it was to their advantage to bill the redesigned model as a 2015.

I doubt that there will be any significant changes in the 2016 Fit. There might be a tweak or two if a revised infotainment system is ready, but the car and powertrain will stay the same. Why would Honda do a major retool after only producing a car for five months or so?

Now, common wisdom is to never buy a car in its first year of production. With the Fit, the only change at model-year changeover will likely be a different character on the VIN. The longer you wait, the less the chance of getting a car with teething problems but you don't have to wait for the model year to change. Get a car with a VIN ending in 35000 or higher and you'll be good.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:18 PM
Do what I did. Lease. If a better one comes out, upgrade.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mecevans
Do what I did. Lease. If a better one comes out, upgrade.
Depends on the lifestyle. If you are a high mileage driver lease will kill you as they typically allow 15K miles a year.

If it weren't for the mileage restrictions I'd go for the lease option.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:10 AM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
If you end up waiting until 2016, then you should consider the upcoming 2016 Honda HRV, that will be out in the Spring
There's no chance I'll reconsider the 2015 Fit. Right now, I'm waiting on the info for the HR-V.

I'm a longtime Honda owner now, and normally I would be highly likely to buy the HR-V. But as time goes by, and I wait for new developments, I'm reading more about the Subaru Crosstrek, the Mazda CX-3, and others.

I'm going to be buying at some time during the coming year. If Honda rolls out a half-baked HR-V (the same way they've rushed to market with a half-baked Fit), they're screwed as far as I'm concerned. There's choice in the compact SUV marketplace, and Honda needs to perform out of the gate.

Last edited by Les T.; 12-05-2014 at 05:13 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
One would hope that after all the bugs in the Fit rollout, Honda will have overcome these and apply the lessons learned to the HR-V release. If not, then I would think heads will role.

While my Daughter is very happy with her new Fit, the HR-V appeals to me primarily because it sits about 4" higher, so there is less "falling into" and "climbing out of".

Old 02-10-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by tmport
The 2015s were released in May this year. Do you really think the 2016s won't arrive until September next year? I'm also wondering whether to wait, and that could definitely affect my decision.
It is the same car. Buy when the time is right FOR YOU.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by DArkk
Depends on the lifestyle. If you are a high mileage driver lease will kill you as they typically allow 15K miles a year.

If it weren't for the mileage restrictions I'd go for the lease option.
Agreed, although you can go as high as 18K before you have to start buying more miles. Leasing saves you on the monthly payments sure, but without a down payment STILL (just like buying a car people!) you will get screwed on the depreciation.

I drove 28K my first 12 months on my 2014 Ridgeline Sport, so when I got this 2015 Fit, leasing was not in the game plan. $19K, who can afford not to buy one? I will likely trade the Ridgeline in for the new one next year, and keep the Fit for 20 years.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
One would hope that after all the bugs in the Fit rollout, Honda will have overcome these and apply the lessons learned to the HR-V release. If not, then I would think heads will role.

While my Daughter is very happy with her new Fit, the HR-V appeals to me primarily because it sits about 4" higher, so there is less "falling into" and "climbing out of".
How much is the ground clearance for Fit? Is it compared with other compact/medium sized sedans?
Thanks

Old 02-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Winenut
Hello all. I am new to the Fit forum. I have decided to get a EX in yellow but I have to wait until Jan. or Feb. to save enough down payment to get the monthly payments where I want them. Should I just wait for the 2016 model or go ahead and get a 2015? I can't find out much on the web about the 2016 model and any changes it might have. Any input would be appreciated!
Just go ahead and get it. '16s won't be any different, and may be more pricey.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:11 PM
I pretty much was run off of thos site for giving my multiple displeasures of the new FIT.
I like Honda. I wanted and had intentions of buying one. For various reasons, I passed on it. My girlfriend and I still have an interest in the new H-RV.

I would wait for the 2016 model. I have feeling some of little glitches might be addressed. Such as no volume button. The H-RV looks very intriguing. Some of my dislikes of the FIT seem to be addresed in the H-RV in preliminary info.
One would need to google this to be certain. I think I seen fuel mileage rating for the new H-RV. I think it's 31 MPG overall. 28city 35highway but thay was FWD CVT. AWD drops to 32MPG which is dissapointing. I think the C-RV bests that.

One of my biggest complaints of the FIT is the black interior. I just absolutely hate black! Black cloth/Black leather. Anything at all IMO has got to be better than "coal bin" black for an interior. From what I read and seen, and Honda website confirms, grey cloth and grey leather are interior options. No black leather is even listed as an option.
Another complaint I had about the FIT was the seat armrests. It looks like the H-RV gets a real console with arm rests.

BTW, forum moderators should start a H-RV forum since it shares the GK platform.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:58 PM
I've read they're considering bringing the sedan version of the platform to the US market. Looked rather nice.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
How much is the ground clearance for Fit? Is it compared with other compact/medium sized sedans?
Thanks
I measured the bottom of the flexible air dam at 5.1". About the same as a lot of cars.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Stingray
Just go ahead and get it. '16s won't be any different, and may be more pricey.
I concur, if anything, maybe very little minor changes or things that I wouldn't justify the increase in price for a new "2016"... If anyone who really wants to save even more $, I'd suggest buy any remaining 2015, when the 2016 versions come out later this year, if they aren't in hurry of course.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
The recalls were for the Japanese market hybrid. In 2016 the CVT build will move to Mexico from the longstanding Phillipines plant. Even Steven.
This is one of the reasons I was happy with the 2015. Mexico was mainly handling the hardware with the tranny and engines being shipped to them to be installed. Having the CVT (and/or the engine) assembled in Mexico would have me concerned......the first batches anyways. I can deal with any hardware issues.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
This is one of the reasons I was happy with the 2015. Mexico was mainly handling the hardware with the tranny and engines being shipped to them to be installed. Having the CVT (and/or the engine) assembled in Mexico would have me concerned......the first batches anyways. I can deal with any hardware issues.
Where do they make FIT engine? I think, sticker says 70% of parts are made in Mexico.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Where do they make FIT engine? I think, sticker says 70% of parts are made in Mexico.
Of course I can't produce the link to where I read that. CVT tranny was in Indonesia and Engine in Japan. Everything was being assembled in Mexico until their painting section was completed along with a couple other items. Oh well! Take it all with a grain of salt until I have some evidence.

Quick Reply: 2015 vs. 2016?