3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 vs. 2016?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
If you could wait for the 2016, do that. You will see what is the difference between 2016 and 2015. Then make your decision. You could also see what other options that you could consider by that time. May be an HR-V instead of Fit. No to mention that when the 2016 model is out, you could get a better price if you still want to buy the 2015 model, giving that your color and trim is still available at the dealer

Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Of course I can't produce the link to where I read that. CVT tranny was in Indonesia and Engine in Japan. Everything was being assembled in Mexico until their painting section was completed along with a couple other items. Oh well! Take it all with a grain of salt until I have some evidence.

My sticker says,

Final Assembly point:
Celaya, Mexico

county of origin: Engine.
MEXICO

Transmission:
INDONESIA

According to google, Honda definitely has plans to make CVT in Mexico.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
My sticker says,

Final Assembly point:
Celaya, Mexico

county of origin: Engine.
MEXICO

Transmission:
INDONESIA

According to google, Honda definitely has plans to make CVT in Mexico.
Engine was made in Mexico 'county'? Oh no's! I'm putting up my Fit for sale asap.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:00 PM
My opinion to HRV is not a good on gas coz of its bigger body and yet the engine is still 1.8L which mean comparable to civic
well, comparable to 2015 fit with 130hp and small body you will feel much power.

Last edited by ronley; 02-15-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: want to add more
Old 02-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Engine was made in Mexico 'county'? Oh no's! I'm putting up my Fit for sale asap.
i guess it doesn't really matter as long the design and the quality is well implemented during the production the outcome will be same as expected.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ronley
i guess it doesn't really matter as long the design and the quality is well implemented during the production the outcome will be same as expected.
i would not care if my engine was built in Mexico. I just would not want the first engine built in Mexico.....

Old 02-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Hopefully they fix the infotainment system. I really want Nav and Sat radio, but I have no need to the EX-L package.

Not too mention, no Aux in on the EX which I was going to purchase and hardwire in a stand alone Sat unit. Pretty poor designs I think.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
I read somewhere the current Honda (Mitsubishi) system is built on Windows Embedded, which means they're starting from scratch wrt supporting CarPlay and Android Auto. The biggest change I would expect for 2016 is they MIGHT make the existing Mirrorlink code in the 2015 unit active for 2016.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by ronley
Quite true, but there is a learning curve that is unavoidable. With the Fit, a new model, new engine, and new factory utilizing less automation in a part of the country that hasn't had auto manufacturing previously really stretched Honda's ability to produce cars of consistent high quality. The lengthy delay in ramping up production was an indication of major issues in this area.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:47 PM
Wait for the sedan to come out. That might make you happier.

I never knew about the Fit until a Saturday in November when I read about the new model and all the great reviews. I went to the dealer on Sunday and bought one because it was so impressive.

Best car buy I've ever made.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:58 PM
im honestly in the same position. I am hoping the new model appears in June. But, since there have no announcements or spy leaks, it is probably safe to say it will come in late 2015 as suggested. I think as far as differences, we can look to the HR-V for clues. I think the 2016 model will have the digital climate control, perhaps better interior (again looking at the HR-V).

Old 02-23-2015, 01:28 PM
I almost bought a 2015 Fit but decided to wait for the 2016 for two reasons:

1) Android Auto integration
2) When I was asking a guy at the Honda dealership, he told me to wait for the second generation so they could work out any "kinks".

After this car, I don't expect to upgrade for another 10 years (I live in a walkable city). Right now I have a 2008 with no bluetooth.....something I have regretted for 7 years. I will not have the same with Android integration.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by phillyfit08
I almost bought a 2015 Fit but decided to wait for the 2016 for two reasons:

1) Android Auto integration
2) When I was asking a guy at the Honda dealership, he told me to wait for the second generation so they could work out any "kinks".

After this car, I don't expect to upgrade for another 10 years (I live in a walkable city). Right now I have a 2008 with no bluetooth.....something I have regretted for 7 years. I will not have the same with Android integration.
why not just upgrade the stereo? is there anything currently wrong with your '08?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by kmdkmd
why not just upgrade the stereo? is there anything currently wrong with your '08?
I do have a bluetooth fm transmitter that allows me to connect. I just usually go with OEM stereo.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
I agree--I hate the Black Interior. Good pointing that out. Did not come to mind that it does not come in a light color.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:40 PM
The only problem of waiting for a interior color option other than black is that it's probably not going to happen. Since the inception of the 1st generation Fit, there has been one interior color scheme, black! Not expecting that to change.
With the H-RV Honda seems to be taking a different approach. The H-RV interior seems to be right in line with the CR-V and Pilot SUV interior options. The interior color choices of the H-RV seem to identical with their other SUV choices. It's just their theme.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
I personally would wait for the 16. I think that there seems to be a disproportionate amount of problems with the current gen fits than we typically see from honda. I am assuming that this is due to a new gen car being made in a new plant. Give them some time and practice to have more consistent quality.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
That is sound advice to wait if you can. Honda is a very good car company that had some mediocre leadership lately--but at its base--its a good solid company with good engineers--but their voices were not being heard with the current administration that is on its way out.

While the media wants to point to the Airbag Debacle as the reason the Honda CEO is resigning, it's really more...that issue was so huge that it consumed the time and energy of company leaders that sacrificed their focus on other projects.

In addition to the quality issues with the new FIT discussed here:

The company submitted the 2015 FIT to the Insurance Crash Testing Offset Test and failed on the 1st try--retrofitted the new bumper and passed even as production hit the road in order to get the top rating. In the past, they would have crashed it themselves first to make sure.

With the 2015 CRV, there are CVT idle vibration issues they are trying to resolve without having to replace the transmissions.

With the Honda Pilot, it was a mediocre performer in crash testing for years, but it took them until this year to bring out a redesign which is still not at market--maybe this summer. They lost substantial market share in that category to other companies at a time when we were coming out the deep recession and people were buying new cars in mass again the past 2 years.

The new HR-V is delayed because of the quality control issues on the 2015 FIT Mexico assembly line.

In many of their car lines, they put on the back burner refinements to the gps/blue tooth/electronic integration such that it has mediocre performance and customer complaints.

The stopped production of the Element--a somewhat unique vehicle to focus on other car lines that sold more units even though the Element was making money for the company and dealers and customers liked its versatility.

They allowed the Acura luxury line to fall behind other luxury nameplates in sales and recently have been stepping up their marketing to a younger buyer than who they traditionally pursued.

They are very fortunate to have the civic, crv, and accord as such strong sellers and major profit centers for the company to allow them to weather the storm. They own patents on some of the best technology, most of which they don't share with other car makers. It's the reason parts on Honda's never seem to wear out.

I think as they move into production for the next model year this spring and summer, the new administration, now comprised of automotive engineers and less business school graduates will take Honda to new heights.

To put this in perspective, Even with all these issues at Honda, it pales in comparison to the quality issues that exist on the current production of vehicles by Jeep. If any reader here took a look at the Jeep forum like I do at times, it's amazing that for example, a Wrangler--on the market in similar shape and form for more than 25 years, assembly in the USA still suffers quality control much more serious than 2015 FIT in its first model year. Grand Cherokee, with it's size, and refinements, and Cost, still can't achieve close to a top safety rating from the Insurance Crash Tests. Amazing. But people have been buying these vehicles with the strongest sales ever last year. Incredible.

Sorry I was so long for anyone that took the time to read all this today—but I got going on it.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 AM
Thank you FitEsq....that may have been long but it is something to think about. My lease on my iQ isn't up until Nov. I've been debating on waiting or getting out early.... Not in such a hurry now. Will try to stick it out! Thanks!

Old 03-01-2015, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
2016 may turn out to be the worst year to buy a Fit, at least for some buyers.

It's unlikely it'll have CarPlay or Android Auto, but it is possible they'll have the first year of Honda's proprietary "Connect" infotainment system built on an old (ICS) version of Android. I don't think that bodes well for Apple iPhone owners. Ironically, it may also bode no better for Android phone users, since Google has never supported Nokia's MirrorLink or any other vehicle integration besides Bluetooth for Android. As with CarPlay, Android Auto will probably be built for the QNX operating system used by most manufacturers.

It may also be the first year of the CVT being built in a new factory in Mexico. The 2015 Fit CVT has performed well and been free of the vibration problems that plague 2015 CRV models. Hopefully, the Mexican CVT plant won't inherit that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 vs. 2016?