3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

7" Touchscreen Volume Tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 09:53 PM
7" Touchscreen Volume Tip

I've read many complaints about the volume being difficult in the EX and EX-L. I was getting used to the radio in the Fit today and learned something I haven't read here at FF. I found that when I press the volume 'button' once and the large volume meter shows up next to it, the Home button and Back button become grayed out. You can scroll by running your finger between the Home button and back button to adjust the volume. It seems a lot easier that trying to hold the volume + or - button or using the volume overlay that comes up. I hope this helps everyone who has the 7" screen.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 AM
The new 2015 CR-V has done away with the touch screen volume control, and replaced it with a push button. So I believe Honda has heard the complaints of the touch screen control and will probably do same with the 2016 Fit as well. Just a good guess.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:57 AM
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by SR45
[IMG][/IMG]
What the actual f*ck, Honda. That isn't better. KNOBS what is wrong with a volume knob Honda? They have been on cars for decades and they are perfect for volume. It's like they heard all the complaints about the lack of a volume knob and said, "Right, these people are really upset that we took away their volume knobs, so we'll give them a volume... BUTTON!"

Honestly feel like we're getting trolled by this car company.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
I hear ya. My 2012 Civic with Navi had a knob for volume control.

It doesn't bother me too much with the 2015 Fit long as I can adjust it easily on the steering wheel.

Last edited by DArkk; 12-11-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:57 AM
5 Year Member
Ah well, for me, it is what it is, and since I plan to have this car for 10-15 years, I better get used to it.

That helps, GotFitB13. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
The new 2015 CR-V has done away with the touch screen volume control, and replaced it with a push button.
That's a giant leap sideways for mankind! I have push buttons on my Scion and hate them. You have to push the button repeatedly or hold it down for several seconds to get the same effect you get in a fraction of a second with a knob.

Analog controls for analog functions!

Old 12-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
That's a giant leap sideways for mankind! I have push buttons on my Scion and hate them. You have to push the button repeatedly or hold it down for several seconds to get the same effect you get in a fraction of a second with a knob.

I like the volume control knob on my LX!! Bill22335

Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL

Unless you get so many darn complaints all over the place that its mentioned in official car reviews that its problematic. Than one wants a push button. Not to mention, I can push and hold down on the steering wheel sound level controls on MY Fit and it will increase/decrease the sound fairly fast without having push it repeatedly to do same. Unknown why you said its slow for you

Old 12-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Unless you get so many darn complaints all over the place that its mentioned in official car reviews that its problematic. Than one wants a push button. Not to mention, I can push and hold down on the steering wheel sound level controls on MY Fit and it will increase/decrease the sound fairly fast without having push it repeatedly to do same. Unknown why you said its slow for you
Well, the reason is because it is slow .

Also, with a knob you can pretty easily predict what the loudness will be for a given rotation and set that loudness instantly. With buttons you have to push the button and wait for the desired loudness, a more distracting process.

In later years they went back to a knob and I've been tempted to switch headunits

Old 12-09-2014, 05:00 PM
I just tried it again and its fast just by holding down/up on the steering wheel button. Perhaps others can weigh in on their experience.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Knobs haven't been analog, i.e. connected to a potentiometer, for a long time. Even the volume control knob in my twelve year old Ford is tied to a rotary encoder. You can spin it as many times as you want in a given direction with power off and the radio will still come on at the volume last set.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Same with washing machines. It is all electronic now, even though some models like to make you think your dealing with a manual switch/dial.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:00 PM
I only ever use the steering wheel controls so I don't really care.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 PM
The volume control on the steering wheel is all I ever use as well. It's always convenient and easy.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:19 PM
If you don't give me a knob at least give me a mute button on the steering wheel.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by fragchild
If you don't give me a knob at least give me a mute button on the steering wheel.
Nope, we get the little green power button on the corner of the display.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:21 AM
That volume control on the screen has been the best bit of comedy for me and my girlfriend.

I cannot for the life of me get the volume to change on the screen using my finger, however my girlfriend can make it dance.

She keeps telling me it's because she's a human being and I'm a robot from another planet. So funny.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit_as_a_butchers_dog
That volume control on the screen has been the best bit of comedy for me and my girlfriend.

I cannot for the life of me get the volume to change on the screen using my finger, however my girlfriend can make it dance.

She keeps telling me it's because she's a human being and I'm a robot from another planet. So funny.

lol

Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 PM
I read about this issue and also read a review from Car & Driver about the issues with the touch screen and having to take your eyes off the road to operate the touch screen to simply be able to change the volume.
Honda has got a lot of complaints. I think we all will likely see Honda make changes in 2016.

I have posted on here about my girlfriend and I considering a new FIT for purchase. I own a 2014 Ford Fiesta now as my daily driver.
I gotta say I think Ford nailed it on this issue. I have the MFT system and touchscreen. Ford left a round display of push buttons for the most basic radio controls. On and out ring by tapping left or right this will go through your presets or seek when in FM radio. Tapping up/down scans on FM or changes channels one by one in Sirius radio. There is smaller knob inside this outer ring that controls volume of radio. If in a phone function like an incoming call. The volume doubles to also control phone volume and /or ringtone volume.

Also there is the steering wheel mounted controls.

I think you see a physical button like this shortly on the FIT.

Fyi. Ford did the same thing with the Focus. They went overboard on the redesigned Focus and done away with buttons in the Focus and doing everything through the touchscreen. The following model year, 2014, Ford tweaked this, the Fiesta got the new and improved sysyem and the volume knobs back.

It's a brand new vehicle from the ground up for the FIT. Like almost all brand new vehicle designs, there is bound to be some quirks.