3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

EVERYONE! Get your Fit 4 wheel alignment done!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 09:02 PM
EVERYONE! Get your Fit 4 wheel alignment done!

I know some of you have seen my post about my alignment issue here, https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...nt-issues.html and I am just trying to get the word out about the 15 Fit having an alignment issue from the factory that the factory or dealer are are NOT going to help you fix it unless an alignment is done to see if yours has an issue! The rear axle is NOT adjustable so if it is not with-in spec under warranty honda would have to replace the axle! And that is NOT cheap! So do it before your warranty runs out!

If you have facebook here is the alignment print out for my car and tell them you want a print out as well! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater and you will need to join the honda fit owners group!

They adjusted the front toe close to center which it good but the right rear is not in spec. As I said before the rear is NOT adjustable and when I brought it back a 2nd time they SOMEHOW adjusted it??? But it's not adjustable!!!

Last edited by Jim Grames; 12-14-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
alignment

There is "some" adjustment in the rear alignment. While there are not marks or
indexes for the rear they can just loosen the suspension bolts and wiggle things
around and get a perfect alignment. Out 03 Civic is the same, even the front is
considered by Honda to be non-adjustable. If the front is out you must buy new
parts.

Thanks for the heads up on this, tires are getting expensive.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Hey this is good news! Thanks! But I will probably have to do it myself. Dealer says it's fine and won't pursue making it better for me.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Whoa there.

Jim. Not a home mechanic job. Find a good tire shop, I recommend an independent
shop. This needs special equipment.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
Jim. Not a home mechanic job. Find a good tire shop, I recommend an independent
shop. This needs special equipment.
Home alignments are a piece of cake. There are plenty of online tutorials on how so I won't clutter this thread up.

Needing special equipment is a myth. If you have patience and attention to detail you can do your own alignment. I've been within 0.1 degrees of camber and 1/32 of total toe when I DIY.

A hunter rack sure makes things fast though :-)

Old 12-15-2014, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
I've done rough alignments myself, but prefer to take it to my local shop for the final fine-tweaking.

es

Old 12-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Doing alignments at home is not difficult, but it does require careful measurement and record-keeping. I do it on my vehicles that are too old to be aligned on modern equipment. It helps to have a perfectly flat and level driveway!

BTW, if you're measuring toe with some sort of fixture, measure to the rim, not the tire, as tires often have irregular bumps and bulges that will wreak havoc with measurement.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
I guess this could be done with lasers?

Old 12-15-2014, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Doing alignments at home is not difficult, but it does require careful measurement and record-keeping. I do it on my vehicles that are too old to be aligned on modern equipment. It helps to have a perfectly flat and level driveway!

BTW, if you're measuring toe with some sort of fixture, measure to the rim, not the tire, as tires often have irregular bumps and bulges that will wreak havoc with measurement.
If your doing the alignment at home, how do you get the read-outs you would need to confront Honda?

If your concerned with the Honda dealer "fudging" the results, I would go to an independent shop first.

I won't be paying for an alignment until i see some evidence of poor tread wear. My daughters car is about due for her first tire rotation (6000 miles), so I will see if there is any unusual wear, and make any further decisions based on the results.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by stembridge
I've done rough alignments myself, but prefer to take it to my local shop for the final fine-tweaking.

es
No toe plates?

Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
I was wrong.

My oops folks.

The rear wheels on the 2015 Fits are not adjustable at all.

That sucks but maybe we will not have to ever worry about it.
Never needed it in 264,000 miles.

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JN2k108
No toe plates?
I had just rebuilt the whole suspension (200,000 miles had worn it out!), and did a rough toe-in using lathe as shown in the pic so I wouldn't be adversely wearing out my new tires. The toe was actually within spec (barely) when I took it to my local shop for the full alignment.

es

Old 12-16-2014, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
I have that same workbench with the stainless sliding drawers and wood top....love that stuff!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by Colonel Panik
My oops folks.

The rear wheels on the 2015 Fits are not adjustable at all...
I'm not so sure about that. Check my post in the other alignment thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1282541

Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 AM
5 Year Member
Our EX seems to track fine, my wife drive the Fit 95% of the time though - if it's bad from the factory I guess I'll have the dealer check it at our first oil change, we're only at 1,700 miles right now

Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
I had just rebuilt the whole suspension (200,000 miles had worn it out!), and did a rough toe-in using lathe as shown in the pic so I wouldn't be adversely wearing out my new tires. The toe was actually within spec (barely) when I took it to my local shop for the full alignment.

es
I normally run custom alignments with 0 toe all around to get better wear on my tires. Sometimes I run .1* toe out in the rear but inflate my tires to 45psi. I only do this to my c30. So far handling and tire wear has improved drastically. My last set of tires lasted me about 40k miles

Old 12-16-2014, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I have that same workbench with the stainless sliding drawers and wood top....love that stuff!
Same here - "Collect 'em all!"

Unfortunately, I can't get the Fit in the heated shop right now due to other projects…

es

Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JN2k108
I normally run custom alignments with 0 toe all around to get better wear on my tires. Sometimes I run .1* toe out in the rear but inflate my tires to 45psi. I only do this to my c30. So far handling and tire wear has improved drastically. My last set of tires lasted me about 40k miles
How does this affect tracking on rutted roads (due to heavy trucking traffic, etc.)?

es

Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 AM
5 Year Member
Same here - "Collect 'em all!"

Unfortunately, I can't get the Fit in the heated shop right now due to other projects…

es
I also had the large 6ft storage cabinet outside, but the wind knocked it over once and the stainless looks dented now (when it fell, the key broke off in the lock). I plan on replacing it, and will bolt it to the brick wall to prevent it from falling again (I am on a farm on the side of a valley, and the wind really picks up during storms). I want to set my shop up for my son with the same workbenches you have in your picture.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I am on a farm on the side of a valley, and the wind really picks up during storms
We get a bit of wind here in the Middle West, too:

My shop is in the front part of the shed, and is probably what kept that part from blowing away, as it's structurally tied to the outer wall. The contractor didn't start the rebuild until December of last year, so I had a wind tunnel through the worst of the Winter months. I'm happy with the rebuild, though - took the opportunity to upgrade the doors, etc.

I got my workbench, cabinets and one of the rolling cabinets from Sams. You can order more pieces direct from the manufacturer (higher cost).

And then you can put your tools on them while you're checking your alignment (to bring this somewhat back on topic)!

es

Quick Reply: EVERYONE! Get your Fit 4 wheel alignment done!