3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 12:19 PM
2015 alignment issues

This doesn't look good. First I had dealer do alignment on my new EX with 200 miles. And so it has an issue with r/r toe that dealer says has no adjustment to fix! So I asked them to shim it. They said they can't cause honda doesn't have shim kits for it nor will they install aftermarket shim kits. So I insist they fix it and I called corporate honda(8009991009) to ask what can be done! So I took it back for a second alignment and they said they "fixed it"? Hum? I asked how did you fix it if its not adjustable??? Dealer says "we loosened the carriage" Hum? So then I get a call back from corporate. We had a long conversation about it not being adjustable but they adjusted it so now all they say is "the dealer got it with in spec" Hum? So I said I want another alignment to verify the results! Corporate says "take it to another dealer" So I have an appointment tomorrow. Also not trusting the dealer I took it another non-dealer alignment shop and they found both rear tires to be jacked! Is anyone else having alignment issues? I hope everyone will take there 15 fit's in and get there alignments checked cause I suspect this is not only going on with mine. I am trying to post my alignment results but can't find a way to do it? help on both issues!

Old 12-12-2014, 12:59 PM
The rear axle is welded solid on the GK 3rd gen. Unlike the previous gens which were bolted hubs capable of being shimmed.

No issues with alignment for me ::knock on wood:: , but if your rear wheel geometry is too far out of spec and nothing is damaged or bent from a road event, the entire rear axle needs to be replaced. Sorry :-(

Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 PM
dealer results BEFORE 1st alignment
front left front right
actual before spec range actual before spec range
toe .01 -.11 -.12-.12 .01 -.11 -.12-.12

rear left rear right
toe .23 .23 .00-.24 .29 .28 .00-.24

2nd alignment

front left front right
toe .00 .02 -.12-+.12 .02 -.01 -.12-+.12

rear left rear right
toe .23 .24 .00-+.24 .24 .28 -.00-+.24

3rd align from independent shop

front left front right
actual before actual before
toe .00 .01 .00 .07

rear left rear right
actual before actual before
toe .25 .25 .31 .31

Not sure why shops have different results? But dealer made it get with in spec so they will not replace anything! I will need to get proof from another dealer before I can continue??? dam....

Old 12-12-2014, 04:11 PM
The results are slightly different because of the "fingers" that attach to the wheel rims that reflect the laser beam back to the alignment machine. They are not always an exact fit for every vehicle. Your rear wheel specs look okay, though they could be better. The most any shop or dealer can do is "reference" the rear wheels and point the front wheels close to 0.00 degrees straight ahead. Camber for the front tires could be adjusted ever so slightly with stock equipment.

As mentioned the rear wheels are fixed, no adjustment is possible without replacing the axle. Shimming is not possible with the 3rd gen. Judging by your alignment specs with normal tire rotation the total tire life should only be impacted about 5-10% less then if you had 0.00 degrees toe on all 4 tires.

If the FIT was 4 wheel drive vehicle then all the wheels would have toe/camber adjustments by virtue that all are drive wheels.

Now if your steering wheel is crooked, then the alignment shop didn't do the alignment right. Should be straight and the car should track straight.

It is not a hydraulic steering system on the FIT. It is an electrically assisted rack and pinion system. Quite responsive and to my liking. Non directional tire tread pattern is standard with the Bridgestone/Firestone tires it comes stock with. I made the mistake of putting directional tread tires on my 2008. While they were great tires, directional tread means you feel every little groove in the road and it makes the turning sensitivity even more sensitive.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Spec limit is .24. If rear toe is not adjustable then how did dealer get it to pass? the other alignment shop says both rear sides are out of spec. The Honda dealer said only rear right was out of spec and adjusted it how??? I'm going to another Honda dealer tomorrow!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:56 PM
The car drives fine. Steering wheel is straight.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bassguitarist1985
It is not a hydraulic steering system on the FIT. It is an electrically assisted rack and pinion system. Quite responsive and to my liking. Non directional tire tread pattern is standard with the Bridgestone/Firestone tires it comes stock with. I made the mistake of putting directional tread tires on my 2008. While they were great tires, directional tread means you feel every little groove in the road and it makes the turning sensitivity even more sensitive.
Thanks for the heads up Bass... I'm glad I saw this and will do some investigating before I go the wheels/tires route. I already find the Fit steering EXTREMELY light, and certainly don't want to make it more sensitive.
Being electrically assisted I've been wishing for a knob that would turn down the assistance!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by StealthGray
Thanks for the heads up Bass... I'm glad I saw this and will do some investigating before I go the wheels/tires route. I already find the Fit steering EXTREMELY light, and certainly don't want to make it more sensitive.
Being electrically assisted I've been wishing for a knob that would turn down the assistance!

Good luck on that. It is controlled by the ECM. Unlike the Sport shift mode on the CVT's there is no adjustment on the steering sensitivity.

Jim, I call shenanigans that a honda dealer was able to "fix" the rear without actually replacing the rear axle. the fact is you have face is that all of the rear axles are off from 0.00 degrees, thats why they have a tolerance. if it is outside this tolerance then most definitely have it checked. To be honest you will not have Honda replace the axle, the chances of you getting a replacement axle at exactly 0.00 degrees is impossible. If the steering wheel is straight and it tracks fine, leave the issue and move on. yeah you may have a SLIGHT tire wear issue, but your specs don't seem that far out of whack. Unless you change the entire rear suspension configuration you wont get the adjustment ability you seek.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
It seems that if the rear axle is welded on, what you have is what you get. Even if you replaced the rear axle, who is to say it will be any better? Tire rotation seems to be the only defense against incorrect wear (at least rotating will slow down the rear wear). I just wonder what made Honda switch to the welded rear axle anyway? I don't see any advantage to it. But then again, I am no expert, so I will defer to those who know much more than I do.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:03 PM
Likely to cut costs, or to simplify assembly. That's the nature of a MacPherson strut system. Weld on one part at the end of the axle vs welding on a flange and then bolt on a hub. One part instead of two. If the geometry is predetermined and assembled correctly, then there is no need for bolt on hubs.

this is a typical engineer vs the technician argument. The engineer assumes 100% compliance to the design during assembly while a technician is more cynical and expects to have some sort of flexibility in the design for error

Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 PM
I wonder if the welding of the rear axle is done automatically by a robot type machine. It seems if the car is properly aligned/positioned, the robot weld should within very close tolerances. Just a different thought here. Bill22335

Old 12-12-2014, 10:32 PM
The local alignment shop shows rear right is .31. the max spec limit is .24. Rear left is .25. I just hope the other honda dealer tomorrow has similar results. There is no way I can lets this go and to say it is what it is and thats what your stuck with. Thats like saying if you engine is low on power but still runs than thats what you get.

This is why I want EVERYONE with a 2015 fit to GO and get yours checked! If there are a lot of fit's with the issue then honda will fix it but not until everyone gets their alignment checked to find out! So PLEASE tell everyone you know to GET it checked!!!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Best of luck at the alignment shop Jim. let us know the outcome.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim Grames
The car drives fine. Steering wheel is straight.
i am confused. what is the problem then?

Old 12-13-2014, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
i am confused. what is the problem then?
Tires will wear out slightly quicker.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
I am curious, what was the issue @ 200 miles on the car, that prompted you to take the car in for an alignment?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanguard
I am curious, what was the issue @ 200 miles on the car, that prompted you to take the car in for an alignment?
yes, what is the original issue?

Originally Posted by Lane03
Tires will wear out slightly quicker.
the numbers you posted, are they in degrees or inches?

i have done hundreds of alignments, even doing them on the fly at the track to adjust for changing conditions. you have to have some big toe numbers to ruin tires quickly.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:28 PM
When anyone puts new tires on their car what is the one thing you do to their car with new tires? GET IT ALIGNED! Right? Honda says the spec toe wear limit is .24. My rear right was .29 from honda dealer and .31 from local shop. Is this something honda should fix from the factory under warranty? YES! Just cause a car drives straight does not mean the alignment is ok! From the factory there is no alignment. From the dealer there is no alignment! So how does anyone know if it is with in spec??? Just because it is new is NOT a reason or an excuse to not do an alignment. People will do an alignment when they get new tires but not on a new car??? Am I making a valid point here or am I all hot air? HA....

Well after the 4th alignment I'm not sure were to go? I guess doing an alignment is very subjective! Specs are just that. Specs. Anyone can do an alignment and tell you what the results are. The specs come from the manufacturer to give what they will accept as the allowable wear limits. The second honda dealer had completely different results from the first 3 alignments! ha, go figure. O well I guess I can call corporate back and try to plead my case.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rodney
the numbers you posted, are they in degrees or inches?

i have done hundreds of alignments, even doing them on the fly at the track to adjust for changing conditions. you have to have some big toe numbers to ruin tires quickly.
I didn't post any numbers, you'd have to ask the OP. I think the issue at hand is that the numbers were out of spec and yet the dealer says they somehow got them in spec which isn't possible as you can't adjust the rear wheels on the GK.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:32 PM
CORRECT Lane03! Thank you for reading!

Numbers are in inches.

Quick Reply: 2015 alignment issues