3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:29 AM
So I met with the service manager.

He saidthat indeed, there is no official procedure from Honda to adjust the rearalignment. Previously, when alignmentwas out of spec, they’d contact their Honda Tech line, which would instructthem to replace the whole axle.

A few yearsback, the Honda tech line told them to try and simply raise the position of therear axle, which would cause toe-out. Ifit brought back the toe into spec, no rear axle replacement required.

I asked tosee this procedure, to which he told me it was verbal, from Honda tech. No service bulletin exists for this.

However, Ithink the service manager was realizing himself that this whole way of going about is a bitsketchy, so he’s opening an official service order with Honda tech to get thisprocedure in writing from them, and would forward me all the exchanges betweenthem. He’ll also be taking pictures ofhow they do the adjustment in their dealership the next time a Fit gets aligned,and send that to me also.

I'll be posting everything that he'll send to me.

Stay tuned !

Old 05-13-2016, 10:10 AM
How out of spec is your Fit and is it stock? Mine is lowered in the rear 2 inches on Tanabe DF210 TDF185 springs and 1.5 inches in the front. The front alignment is perfect, the rear is bad toe in, but I never knew what the alignment was before installing lowering springs.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Honda4Life15
How out of spec is your Fit and is it stock? Mine is lowered in the rear 2 inches on Tanabe DF210 TDF185 springs and 1.5 inches in the front. The front alignment is perfect, the rear is bad toe in, but I never knew what the alignment was before installing lowering springs.

My fit is bonestock.

Mine wasbarely out of alignment (spec -> nominal toe = 0.14, max = 0.24. Mine was 0.25 on one side, 0.27 on theother).

If yours isbadly toe-in, it fits with the explanation I was given: Raise the axle to forcetoe-out, lower it to force toe-in.

However,the fix seems to be to raise the axle AT THE PIVOTS. If you’re lowering the springs, you’re justplaying with suspension travel.Myunderstanding is that camber & toe don’t change when the travel is symmetricalon a twist beam suspension.Camber supposedlychanges only when one side travels differently than the other, I’m assuming it’sthe same thing for toe.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:35 AM
I don't think my toe would be this bad from lowering it, I do know before I lowered it with the OEM tires when the tires were rotated back to front there was noise made from the tires due to uneven wear, and that was when everything was stock. I still got 41k miles before getting new tires and I did the springs at the same time, so when the alignment was done it was after the springs were installed, so I never had a reference of alignment before the lowering springs.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 AM
jhn
I used shims today to fix my toe-in problem. I haven't been to alignment yet, but I anticipate it is corrected. I used the Moog K6660 series shims (#2 both sides for mine). Less than $20 and the better part of a day figuring it out.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Bump.

I would like to hear about this from people who have upgraded suspension bits as usually lowing any amount often causes alignment to change. As something I am looking to do in the spring, I don't want the alignment to be un-correctable.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:32 PM
jhn
I think the alignment issue is exaggerated. The rear compliance bushings allow the whole rear beam to float, dynamically increasing and decreasing toe-in with use. This issue is not specific to this generation Fit. In fact, it's not even specific to the Fit. Prius owners complain about excessive toe as well.

I shimmed mine and it is now nearly 0 degrees. It makes the car rotate easier around turns. If you do this, keep in mind it does more than effect tire wear. It effects the handling as well. It increases off throttle oversteer, which could cause your car to spin in slippery conditions, like an on-ramp to an expressway.

As for lowering your car, as long as you do not lower it more than 1.75 - 2 inches or so all toe and camber changes can be corrected.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:17 PM
My 2013 Corolla had the same issue with the non-adjustable rear axle. After a bit of haggling Toyota agreed to do the shimming on warranty.

Never went out again.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jhn
I think the alignment issue is exaggerated. The rear compliance bushings allow the whole rear beam to float, dynamically increasing and decreasing toe-in with use. This issue is not specific to this generation Fit. In fact, it's not even specific to the Fit. Prius owners complain about excessive toe as well.

I shimmed mine and it is now nearly 0 degrees. It makes the car rotate easier around turns. If you do this, keep in mind it does more than effect tire wear. It effects the handling as well. It increases off throttle oversteer, which could cause your car to spin in slippery conditions, like an on-ramp to an expressway.

As for lowering your car, as long as you do not lower it more than 1.75 - 2 inches or so all toe and camber changes can be corrected.
Pefect, thanks loom at 1inch max so i am good.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone,

I recently joined the Fit family with a 2016 Fit EX, and found that it is pulling slightly to the left when the steering wheel is straight, only after 900 miles. If I hold the steering wheel slightly to the right (about 1 or 2 degrees), it drives straight apparently.

I have already scheduled a serivce appointment with my dealer very soon. In the meantime, what should I expect?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chunheisiu
Hi everyone,

I recently joined the Fit family with a 2016 Fit EX, and found that it is pulling slightly to the left when the steering wheel is straight, only after 900 miles. If I hold the steering wheel slightly to the right (about 1 or 2 degrees), it drives straight apparently.

I have already scheduled a serivce appointment with my dealer very soon. In the meantime, what should I expect?
if u let go of the steering wheel does it track straight? if so, dealer will probably tell u datz normal and wont even put it on the alignment rack. at least my dealer didnt. dis is why i hate dealers in general. it doesnt bother my wife and it's her car so i just let it go. all 3 of my cars track perfectly straight when the steering wheel is at dead center Noon. i would not accept anything less.

Old 09-20-2016, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
if u let go of the steering wheel does it track straight? if so, dealer will probably tell u datz normal and wont even put it on the alignment rack. at least my dealer didnt. dis is why i hate dealers in general. it doesnt bother my wife and it's her car so i just let it go. all 3 of my cars track perfectly straight when the steering wheel is at dead center Noon. i would not accept anything less.
What do you mean by "track straight"?

Steering wheel returns to center by itself after making a turn but the car just slowly pulls to the left.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chunheisiu
What do you mean by "track straight"?

Steering wheel returns to center by itself after making a turn but the car just slowly pulls to the left.
tracking is a term used to determine how the car drives straight or pulling to one side .. if im asking if the car tracks straight den im asking u whether ur car drives straight with no input from u regardless of the steering wheel angle.

but ure saying the car pulls to the left on its own, so u have a tracking problem. dat usually is a toe angle problem so should be easily fixed with alignment.

but steering wheel to center is another story though cause it appears honda has a huge margin of error for dat.. ur car might track straight, but ur steering wheel might be pointed a few degrees to the left or right. dat drives me nuts.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
tracking is a term used to determine how the car drives straight or pulling to one side .. if im asking if the car tracks straight den im asking u whether ur car drives straight with no input from u regardless of the steering wheel angle.

but ure saying the car pulls to the left on its own, so u have a tracking problem. dat usually is a toe angle problem so should be easily fixed with alignment.

but steering wheel to center is another story though cause it appears honda has a huge margin of error for dat.. ur car might track straight, but ur steering wheel might be pointed a few degrees to the left or right. dat drives me nuts.
Just got a call from the dealer. Both front wheels are out of alignment, with the left more severe than the right, which explains the pull to the left. I'll see how much they're off when I get my car back.

Old 01-16-2017, 12:50 PM
I created an account just to post in here. I have a new 2016 Honda Fit that pulls to the left in all road crowning types and conditions. I've had 3 alignments done within 2 months and its obvious there is something amiss. The service manager at my dealership didn't offer and help and thinks its just because the Fit is a light electronic steering vehicle, which is ridiculous because why always left? The MacPherson struts aren't brain surgery and neither is the unadjustable dynamic rear axle. I'm tempted to call Honda HQ for help since I've been at the dealership multiple times now.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:14 PM
jhn
Originally Posted by halcyon1
I created an account just to post in here. I have a new 2016 Honda Fit that pulls to the left in all road crowning types and conditions. I've had 3 alignments done within 2 months and its obvious there is something amiss. The service manager at my dealership didn't offer and help and thinks its just because the Fit is a light electronic steering vehicle, which is ridiculous because why always left? The MacPherson struts aren't brain surgery and neither is the unadjustable dynamic rear axle. I'm tempted to call Honda HQ for help since I've been at the dealership multiple times now.
Post up you're alignment numbers. Let's see them.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by halcyon1

What are your rear wheel alignment numbers?
Many Fits have messed up rear end toe in numbers.
Honda's solution is to replace the rear axle.
Gregg

Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
try an alignment shop or a different dealer and ask for a 4 wheel alignment, rear is not adjustable but get data. ur dealer is only checking da front axle alignment as the rear is not adjustable on the fit probably.. remember: ASK FOR REAR ALIGNMENT DATA.