3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Peripheral Headlight Vision

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Peripheral Headlight Vision

Anyone notice a lack of peripheral vision with the headlights at night. Only really noticing it when I come to a darkened alley entryway. No problem with looking straight ahead at night, but when I need to a turn into a dark road or alleyway, there is very little illuminating peripheral lighting. Almost have to come to a delayed stop just to make sure I am not going to run into a curb or sidewalk as I make a sharp turn.

I'm asking because I am on the wrong side of 50 and probably just getting crappier at night vision. But not quite the same on my prior Fit versions.

It's almost as if the headlights are too focused straight ahead.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Only fix for that would be to retrofit your headlights with projectors.

Check out hidplanet forum or the retrofit source. You’ll love it.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oman
, there is very little illuminating peripheral lighting.
I've noticed the same thing. Initially my headlights were also adjusted way too low from the factory. I adjusted them a little higher which seems to have helped the peripheral lighting ...... a bit

Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 PM
The "fog lights" on the EX are really driving lights. They point low and to the sides. They are perfect for this kind of low-speed wide-angle illumination.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NotBlake
The "fog lights" on the EX are really driving lights. They point low and to the sides. They are perfect for this kind of low-speed wide-angle illumination.
That's actually the correct beam pattern for fog lamps. Driving lamps would have a narrow, long-range beam.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
I'm in the same boat as the OP, and find the low beams by themselves to be barely adequate. The fogs do help a lot with lighting up the ditches. The highs are okay, but I'd like a little more out to the side there, too - lots of deer along my route to work (had to dodge a pair just this evening), and the more light to the sides, the easier to spot them before they 'spot' me.

es

Old 12-18-2014, 09:12 PM
...I am on the wrong side of 50 and probably just getting crappier at night vision....
I hear you there, but I think that improving headlight reflector and lenses are leaving less stray light to illuminate to the sides. No problem with old sealed beams, big problem with modern cars!

Old 12-21-2014, 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by NotBlake
+1

If you need that wide illumination, I suggest using the fog lights if they're available on your trim. I do dislike the sharp horizontal cutoff for illumination height. I feel like I can only see so far down the road, and anything beyond that is just pitch black. Yes, I know that's ideally what high beams are for, but there are times when low beams are required.

I've always thought that fog lights are intended for fog, or other conditions that require the extra low beam, but I think too many people either have them on for appearance or just don't know their on. If I recall, one reason for not using them all the time is because it does do a good job of illuminating the road up close, all that light draws the drivers attention up close instead of further down the road where the regular headlamps are directed.

Anyway, there's a particular turns on a route of mine that is pretty dark, and to make sure I can see edge to edge of the pavement and beyond, I turn the fog lights on to make the turn.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
I leave my fog lights on all the time because I drive the back roads alot. It helps to get the sides lit up to avoid any surprises up ahead.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Thanks all. I have the EX and the fog lights doo help in this situation. Will likely leave them on.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:50 PM
5 Year Member
My 2015 Fit curbside lighting seems better then the 2009 Fit I had. I do HATE the distinct cutoff line of the 2015 head lights light straight ahead. There the 2009 Fit headlights were much better as some muted light stretched beyond the hot spot of the beams.

Fog lights are to be low and wide,driving lights a long direct beam. Wanna prove it,turn your high beams on in the fog,which vision is better?

PaFitter

Old 12-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Anyone notice a lack of peripheral vision with the headlights at night. Only really noticing it when I come to a darkened alley entryway. No problem with looking straight ahead at night, but when I need to a turn into a dark road or alleyway, there is very little illuminating peripheral lighting. Almost have to come to a delayed stop just to make sure I am not going to run into a curb or sidewalk as I make a sharp turn.

I'm asking because I am on the wrong side of 50 and probably just getting crappier at night vision. But not quite the same on my prior Fit versions.

This drives me crazy too.... I go to work before dawn and literally can't see the ditch at the end of my driveway or my mailbox.

Turn your fog lights on. they light up the sides like crazy. They are switched off when you turn on hi beams.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Has anyone tried some direct replacement bulbs (unplug old and plug in new) and got better results?

Old 12-23-2014, 10:20 PM
I was testing the fog light angle a couple days ago and I was surprised that the angle the light get projected didn't seem to change compared to the low beams, but it was MUCH brighter.

Old 12-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by GotFitB13
I was testing the fog light angle a couple days ago and I was surprised that the angle the light get projected didn't seem to change compared to the low beams, but it was MUCH brighter.
The angle is way different with the fog lights versus the low-beams only. I have HID headlights and fog lights (blue low-hi and yellow fog) and I can really tell the difference. I'll try and get some better pics tonight, but the fog lights shine way wider than the low beam and a lot closer to the front of the car.

Here's the one I have now, so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about (in case I forget to upload new pics). This one was on a foggy night. so you can really see the cutoff, which also moved up when I changed to HIDs because of the smaller bulb diameter.
Name:  20141002_221249_zpsq6y03d0v.jpg
Views: 5630
Size:  39.9 KB

Old 12-26-2014, 12:54 AM
Hey! My car has fog lights!

I had no idea. Pretty neat all the stuff that comes with a Fit. Loving this car more and more everyday.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz
I've noticed the same thing. Initially my headlights were also adjusted way too low from the factory. I adjusted them a little higher which seems to have helped the peripheral lighting ...... a bit
I've been thinking that my headlights are too low from the factory as well. Made about a 1/4 inch adjustment and can now see about 30 feet farther ahead.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by BILLBOGEY
Has anyone tried some direct replacement bulbs (unplug old and plug in new) and got better results?

Slyvania Silvertar Ultra bulbs. Best drop in bulb you can buy.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by ai4px
This drives me crazy too.... I go to work before dawn and literally can't see the ditch at the end of my driveway or my mailbox.

Turn your fog lights on. they light up the sides like crazy. They are switched off when you turn on hi beams.
I live in the country and it's dark as a cave driving the roads at night. Turns are taken with extreme care so as not to end up in roadside ditches. My LX doesn't have fog lights so I end up coming to a complete stop when turning. The blind spot where the farthest front window is bugs me too but I'm starting to get used to it.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by mecevans
Slyvania Silvertar Ultra bulbs. Best drop in bulb you can buy.
Thanks, I put those bulbs in my 2012 Mustang, they were an improvement. did not know they will fit the FIT. I will try to find a pair today at parts stores.. Bill #22335

Last edited by BILLBOGEY; 12-29-2014 at 11:05 AM. Reason: misse words

Quick Reply: Peripheral Headlight Vision