3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Manual vs CVT...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
The 1st and 3rd gen manuals are pretty much the same, at least in terms of short gearing, similar highway cruising RPM, etc.

CVT IS as terrible as it is made out to be.

The Fit's clutch is light enough that even the manual is no big hassle in stop/go traffic.

What I am interested in knowing is how the 2nd gen manual differs from the 1st and 3rd then? Does is cruise louder on the highway? or are the gears at different ratios? Wondering because I've considered getting a used 2nd gen fit as well.

Last edited by Kluch; 01-03-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:52 PM
A lot of this is going to be based on how this car is going to be used. I think there are a few major questions to answer.

1 - Do you plan to own this car for 200,000+ miles? If yes, buy the manual. Historically Honda automatic transmissions have not been the most reliable things on earth.

2 - What kind of traffic conditions are you typically going to face and for how long? For example, I have a 70 mile daily commute in Atlanta traffic, so I needed a car that would remove stress from my life, not add to it. A manual was absolutely infuriating in these conditions where the extremely smooth gear changes of the CVT are very luxurious along with the lower cabin noise at cruising speed. Alternately, if most of your driving is going to be quick journeys around town or in the country where roads are more clear, I would prefer the manual as I expect the car would feel much more lively off the line with rev-limiter clutch drops, the CVT is not as perky from a dead stop, but it is quite capable in terms of highway passing.

3 - What type of manual car are you used to? I came from a V8 mustang with a 5-speed, in that car if you planted the throttle at 2,000 rpm, the thing would lurch forward and start chugging like a steam train. I was shocked at how poorly the fit pulled in the lower rev ranges, yes the clutch is feather-light (my foot is heavier than the clutch petal in this car) but you're going to need to use it a lot more.

At the end of the day, this is a commuter car for me, not an enthusiast car. It's primary purpose in life is to remove stress from my life by being reliable, cheap to maintain, and comfortable to be in. A manual transmission doesn't really fit into this schema for me. I am planning on selling the car at around 100K miles so longevity isn't a concern.

It pains me to say this because I am a die-hard manual trans guy, but it just isn't practical for me.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Kluch
What I am interested in knowing is how the 2nd gen manual differs from the 1st and 3rd then? Does is cruise louder on the highway? or are the gears at different ratios? Wondering because I've considered getting a used 2nd gen fit as well.
So far as I know, the ratios on the 1st and 2nd generations are practically identical (overall, taking the final drive and wheel size and such into consideration). The 3rd generation adds another gear, so obviously has some differences, but it does it basically by spacing the gears a bit more closely together; 6th is very nearly the same as 5th on the older cars.

I don't get it, myself. I have never though that there needed to be more gears to row through when accelerating, while I have sometimes wished for a gear above fifth on my GE8; yet Honda decided we need the exact opposite.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by DrewE
So far as I know, the ratios on the 1st and 2nd generations are practically identical (overall, taking the final drive and wheel size and such into consideration). The 3rd generation adds another gear, so obviously has some differences, but it does it basically by spacing the gears a bit more closely together; 6th is very nearly the same as 5th on the older cars.

I don't get it, myself. I have never though that there needed to be more gears to row through when accelerating, while I have sometimes wished for a gear above fifth on my GE8; yet Honda decided we need the exact opposite.
Ok, this is what I thought previously. Was hoping for different info here. Seems nearly pointless that honda added a sixth gear when it still cruises at what? 3500 rpm at 75mph? Almost seems more ideal to own the 2nd gen if I'm going to get a manual - less shifting overall.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
All three generations cruise at near identical highway RPM.

I have a 2nd generation and would recommend it to anyone (along with the 1st gen which I previously owned, and my GF currently owns). I would not say the same about the 2015+.

Originally Posted by NotBlake
A lot of this is going to be based on how this car is going to be used. I think there are a few major questions to answer.

1 - Do you plan to own this car for 200,000+ miles? If yes, buy the manual. Historically Honda automatic transmissions have not been the most reliable things on earth.

2 - What kind of traffic conditions are you typically going to face and for how long? For example, I have a 70 mile daily commute in Atlanta traffic, so I needed a car that would remove stress from my life, not add to it. A manual was absolutely infuriating in these conditions where the extremely smooth gear changes of the CVT are very luxurious along with the lower cabin noise at cruising speed. Alternately, if most of your driving is going to be quick journeys around town or in the country where roads are more clear, I would prefer the manual as I expect the car would feel much more lively off the line with rev-limiter clutch drops, the CVT is not as perky from a dead stop, but it is quite capable in terms of highway passing.

3 - What type of manual car are you used to? I came from a V8 mustang with a 5-speed, in that car if you planted the throttle at 2,000 rpm, the thing would lurch forward and start chugging like a steam train. I was shocked at how poorly the fit pulled in the lower rev ranges, yes the clutch is feather-light (my foot is heavier than the clutch petal in this car) but you're going to need to use it a lot more.

At the end of the day, this is a commuter car for me, not an enthusiast car. It's primary purpose in life is to remove stress from my life by being reliable, cheap to maintain, and comfortable to be in. A manual transmission doesn't really fit into this schema for me. I am planning on selling the car at around 100K miles so longevity isn't a concern.

It pains me to say this because I am a die-hard manual trans guy, but it just isn't practical for me.
I find the Fit's clutch/low end torque plentiful. I can easily leave a stop without touching the throttle once.

Originally Posted by DrewE

The GE's fifth is EXACTLY the same as the GK's sixth. This is fact, one it took months to convince Rottboy of.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Just for giggles.... Tonight I tested out CVT "S"port mode on the freeway. It ends up running the RPMs at at least 1K over the "D" mode at 75-80 or around 3200 RPM. Not quite 4000 like the manual at 75-80 but I definitely could hear the engine buzzing along until I blipped it back to "D".

It seems as if the audible level is above 3k RPM with this engine and my ears, so I'm happy with the choice I made going CVT with reduced RPM's and reduced engine noise at cruising speed.

If Honda made the 6th gear a true overdrive and not just the same as the last generation, I would have given the stick considerable more weight in my decision.

My 5 speed Integra buzzes along loudly at 4K RPM at 80 and I didn't really want to have another one like it for cruising longer trips.

I would test both and decide what you can live with since everyone has a different threshold for engine noise/peaceful cruising.

My .02 worth...

Old 01-03-2015, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tbFit
Just for giggles.... Tonight I tested out CVT "S"port mode on the freeway. It ends up running the RPMs at at least 1K over the "D" mode at 75-80 or around 3200 RPM. Not quite 4000 like the manual at 75-80 but I definitely could hear the engine buzzing along until I blipped it back to "D".

It seems as if the audible level is above 3k RPM with this engine and my ears, so I'm happy with the choice I made going CVT with reduced RPM's and reduced engine noise at cruising speed.

If Honda made the 6th gear a true overdrive and not just the same as the last generation, I would have given the stick considerable more weight in my decision.

My 5 speed Integra buzzes along loudly at 4K RPM at 80 and I didn't really want to have another one like it for cruising longer trips.

I would test both and decide what you can live with since everyone has a different threshold for engine noise/peaceful cruising.

My .02 worth...
4-6th are all overdriven in the 6MT.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
4-6th are all overdriven in the 6MT.
Hehe, ok, well taller gearing then..

Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 AM
Ok, this is what I thought previously. Was hoping for different info here. Seems nearly pointless that honda added a sixth gear when it still cruises at what? 3500 rpm at 75mph? Almost seems more ideal to own the 2nd gen if I'm going to get a manual - less shifting overall.
Hopefully you do know, just because a car has X number of gears that you're not required to always sequentially use them. You're not shifting more just because a car has an extra gear. If you know your car, and you know how to drive it right, then you're shifting the exact same amount because you go to the gear that is needed and not just the next on in the numeric order.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit
Hopefully you do know, just because a car has X number of gears that you're not required to always sequentially use them. You're not shifting more just because a car has an extra gear. If you know your car, and you know how to drive it right, then you're shifting the exact same amount because you go to the gear that is needed and not just the next on in the numeric order.
That can be hard on the transmission's synchros if not done very well.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:11 AM
That can be hard on the transmission's synchros if not done very well.
That is true, but only if you're driving it hard and at high revs or broad rev ranges all the time. Most people aren't going to be driving this car that way. Hell, you can really have a lot fun with this car and never have it above 5k rpms.

This car can easily drive 35mph and up in 6th gear on level roads with no bogging and can easily get to 35 mph in 2nd gear while still below 2k rpm.

Driving casually, meaning not aggressively, and on level roads can be done up to 60 mph without stress using just 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th while keeping the rpms within a 200 - 500 rpm range from mid 2nd gear onward.

3rd and 5th only need to come into play if needing to accelerate uphill or for accelerated highway merging. Or of course, racing.

Now if you're going from 0 to 70 with the rpms crossing a 5 - 6 thousand rpm range along the way then skipping will prematurely wear synchros. But if you drive like that all the time then chances are other problems will catch up with you first before synchro wear becomes an issue.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:48 AM
These are my reasons why I got the CVT version (& I'm a die-hard MT guy since 1978).

1. My daily commute is usually bumper to bumper traffic.

2. CVT Fit is revving about 1000+ rpm LOWER than 6MT Fit at tyipcal hwy speeds. Fit is already noisy and don't want the extra noise from the extra 1000+ rpm!

3. CVT gets better MPG than 6MT.

4. Many reviews out there saying that Honda did an excellent job of setting the CVT for the '15 Fit.

5. CVT is always at the RIGHT 'gear' for the right speed.

My 2 other cars are still MT so I don't miss too much.

Last edited by Chazman; 01-04-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:58 AM
I have for many years driven vehicles with manual transmissions. If you know how to use a manual transmission and use it to provide downshifting, you can greatly extend your brake life.
At one time I swore by manual transmissions as being vastly more reliable than a typical automatic transmission. I don't think so any more.

Three vehicles in a row, I have driven mostly trouble free well over 200kmi. No serious repairs. All three were manual transmissions. I have never in my life had to service or replace a clutch. They are actually pretty solid pieces and build with durability in mind.

Today a manual transmission is becoming a rare item and disappearing. Few vehicles even offer them.

One reason I don't like the manual transmission in the fit is the higher RPM. Turning nearly 3600 RPM at 75mph seems ridiculous to me. No wonder automatic transmission gets better fuel mileage. And also road noise. If your a commuter and drive long distances, the manual brings alot more engine noise. Honda gave us a 6th gear now. It did nothing for top end. The old 5-speed and the new 6-speed, the top gear is exactly the same ratio as stated in previous threads. All Honda did is squeeze another gear in for tighter gear ratios for acceleration. I guess banging through 5 gears from stop light to stop light in urban traffic isn't enough. Honda insists that we needed another.

I don't it's fair to compare manuals to automatics anymore. I doesn't seem like a level playing field. If the FIT has the engine torque and power for highway speeds by turning at less RPM with CVT, then to me there is no reason why the manual transmission has such ridiculous gearing. It should definitely have a taller gear in 6th gear.

If your a person who keeps a vehicle forever, I would have to consider engine life with both transmissions. The CVT allows the engine to turn about 2500RPM at highway speed. The manual about 3600 RPM. Just seems to me one would get alot better engine life over long term with one turning less RPM all the time.

Last edited by cuemark8; 01-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:09 AM
The other thing with manual transmissions is that they only seem to be sold in economy vehicles or specialty sports cars.
When vehicles are offered with manual transmissions, the manual transmission seems to only be offered in lower trim levels. Just like in the FIT. There are few vehicles I know of where you get a manual transmission in a higher trim level.

If you desire to have a FIT with leather interior and Nav and the do DIY transmission, to bad, you ain't getting one!

I hate pretty much anything GM makes but the Chevrolet Sonic has a pretty decent 6-speed. I didn't care for the vehicle but I test drove one. The 6-speed manual and 1.4L turbo is a decent combination. It is rated a 40+ highway MPG. It has nice tall 6th gear ratio. The engine turns only about 2000RPM @ 60MPH. The downside of it was GM went to far. GM went after fuel mileage. Unless on level road at highway speeds, you find yourself downshifting a lot to get any power needed to pull a hill or pass other traffic.

Honda does put the gearing perfect for using the sweet spot of the engine for decent power even at highway speeds.

BTW, the Fiesta doesn't have best gearing either. At about 75MPH you will turning about 3200RPM. Not great, but less than 3500-3600RPM of the FIT.

What made me take a look and consider the Sonic was once again options. You can pick and choose options. You get even get a fully loaded top-of-the-line package with leather and still get the manual transmission.

Last edited by cuemark8; 01-04-2015 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MyFreakFit
Driving casually, meaning not aggressively, and on level roads can be done up to 60 mph without stress using just 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th while keeping the rpms within a 200 - 500 rpm range from mid 2nd gear onward.

3rd and 5th only need to come into play if needing to accelerate uphill or for accelerated highway merging. Or of course, racing.
Reading through this thread, it sounds like Honda really blew it with the 6MT in the new Fit. I've been an MT guy for 35 years and have put 100k miles on my 2007 Fit Sport MT. My biggest complaint has been the high RPM at interstate speeds, and that has not improved with the new model.

It would have been great if Honda offered an economy MT with larger spacing and a taller top gear, and also a Fit Sport to challenge the Ford Fiesta ST.

I would seriously consider the Fiesta (Eco or ST) except for the minimal cargo capacity. The new Fit is the hands-down winner in that dept (even though cargo capacity is reduced from 2nd gen) but its flawed manual transmission has me looking elsewhere for my next car.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:18 AM
5 Year Member
Automatic are fine in buses and limos ; for me and my wife it a manual trans with a real clutch

Old 01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Contemplating getting a new 2015 fit. I'm more of a manual guy but I'd be interested in hearing why each of you went with the transmission you did? I know the CVT is supposed to get a few more MPGs but other than that I don't see much advantage to it besides not having to shift your own gears, lol - less sporty feeling I would think.
CVT's get better mpg because the gearing is better and thus more relaxed at interstate speeds. Now that automatics are better, faster, and more reliable, manuals don't offer much. Besides, if you want to shift you can use paddes. Wait'll you pay for that first clutch.R&R.
Unless you can shift without using the clutch there's nothing impressive or skill demonstrating about modern automatics.
Then you'll see why modern autos even match gears on shifts- much faster, worth a second on track.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:23 PM
I will admit hands down the FIT is by far the best in its category for cargo capacity and being able to haul stuff. Seats are like magic.

If having the cargo capacity is priority then get the FIT or consider a larger class of vehicle.

The new 2015 Volkswagen Golf offers a manual transmission. So does the Focus hatch in any trim level. The Subaru CX hatch offers it. Just some options that pop in my head. Probably all considerably pricier though.

This is about us diehards who prefer a manual transmission.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Contemplating getting a new 2015 fit. I'm more of a manual guy but I'd be interested in hearing why each of you went with the transmission you did? I know the CVT is supposed to get a few more MPGs but other than that I don't see much advantage to it besides not having to shift your own gears, lol - less sporty feeling I would think.
We got the CVT because my daughter needed the automatic feature (she did not like shifting gears, particularly in hilly Knoxville). My Wife has trouble holding in the clutch in rush hour traffic (we purchased her a Mazda CX-5 auto), and I am just too lazy to shift gears anymore (I drive our Honda Odyssey auto). We had the manual in our original 2008 Honda Fit, and it was fun to drive. We also had a manual in our 1995 Volvo 850. You just need to decide if you want to shift gears all the time. It was no longer for us.

Last edited by Vanguard; 01-04-2015 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by ten_year_man
Reading through this thread, it sounds like Honda really blew it with the 6MT in the new Fit. I've been an MT guy for 35 years and have put 100k miles on my 2007 Fit Sport MT. My biggest complaint has been the high RPM at interstate speeds, and that has not improved with the new model.

It would have been great if Honda offered an economy MT with larger spacing and a taller top gear, and also a Fit Sport to challenge the Ford Fiesta ST.

I would seriously consider the Fiesta (Eco or ST) except for the minimal cargo capacity. The new Fit is the hands-down winner in that dept (even though cargo capacity is reduced from 2nd gen) but its flawed manual transmission has me looking elsewhere for my next car.
The best thing I can say to this is don't knock it until you've tried it. I thought the higher than typical rpm at hwy speeds was going to bother me, but it doesn't. You notice it more at first because you're not used to it. Also, I've been told that the CVT is more buzzy and noticeable at hwy speeds than the manual.

The other thing about the manual is in 4th thru 6th you're almost always within the power band no matter what speed you're at. There's no need for a lot of downshifting for passing or on hills or anything.

I recently drove mine from Florida to Maryland and back again, all hwy miles with the reliable congestion from the Triangle to DC to just north of Baltimore. I averaged 35.4 mpg for the whole trip going north while trying to do 75 - 80 mph as much as possible. Heading south I backed off a bit and kept it to 70 mph and averaged 38.6 for the return trip. Engine noise was never a problem for me either way and I don't typically have the radio on all the time.

Last edited by MyFreakFit; 01-04-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual vs CVT...?